Freetrade Competitors

Not used Dodl myself but its only had 10k+ downloads and the reviews seem a bit a mixed bag. They dont appear to have done too much over the last couple of years so im not really seeing them as a threat to Freetrade.

4 Likes
1 Like

I still think they should have made a move for Lunar,that would have been Monzo straight into Europe bank license the lot

Along with the launch of T212’s cash ISA, both the S&S and cash ISAs will be flexible!

10 Likes

Thankyou very much i`m going to give them a try :wink:

Thanks.

I don’t know if this will work for you or not when it comes to small caps/penny stocks or not, but it’s worth a mention.

I-Web do the 15-20 second window thing for you to place a trade.

If anything it’s worth a try and maybe execution of small cap trades could be better.

I’d guess that the most illiquid ones might be difficult as ultimately there does need to be a seller or buyer for you to do a trade in the opposite direction.

As I don’t trade that type of stock this is pure guess work and your mileage may vary on my part, but it’s worth a try, nonetheless.

1 Like

I am not sure if they offer crypto in the UK, but anyway.

1 Like

Hargreaves and Lansdown have been running a promotion for both new and existing clients - £100 of free trades until 21 June.

Remember for shares in a trading account there is no annual fee, in a ISA and SIPP fees are capped and there is zero commission for automatic dividend investment in all three accounts. If you are a long term market investor - you have compelling reasons to use HL.

The competitive environment will constantly change.

1 Like

Maybe this is an early days sign that even Hargreaves Landsdown know thier days of being more or less the most expensive UK broker are numbered, and perhaps this move is them testing the waters to see if they can onboard a bucket load of new customers.

As I said in a previous post

Believe it or not, once upon a time Hargreaves Landsdown were once the cheapest on the market.

I know in the modern day that’s hard to imagine, and I wouldn’t blame you for coming to that conclusion.

Back then there were few options available for retail shareholders.

The only options were Certificated shares (astronomically expensive, and still are), your own banks stockbrokerage services, likely both slow and expensive, or Hargreaves Landsdown, who were at the time the best and cheapest out there.

We are no longer in the 1970s or 1980s (or earlier) and while HL was once the cheapest broker on town, they are now as the back of the pack, and this move is the 1st sign that they are realising this.

2 Likes

Still a useful card though. Just visited three different countries on a cruise. Total spend (coffees, etc) £40.00p, Exchange fees £0.06p, Cashback £1.34p​:tada::tada::tada:
Did not need a trip to Tesco to buy 3 different currencies or their fees to start with, did not have any loose currency to bring home after the cruise and the money in the account is paying 5.2% interest! What’s not to like :grinning:

4 Likes

Received a notification that the T212 ISA is now flexible.

17 Likes

Trading 212 Cash ISA is now available

Paying 5.2% Variable
Flexible
Interest paid daily
FSCS protection

https://www.trading212.com/isa?cash-isa=

4 Likes

T212 certainly adding alot of updates and making it very appealing to a wide range of investors. Ive used T212s ISA for the last year, great desktop and app, great interest on cash, but the huge deal breaker for me its the Max holding limits, Its just crazy small amounts on certain shares and even a request wont give a huge increase. Having an ISA an not being able to average down is nuts. My view is Lots of sweeteners but they haven`t got the basics right.

3 Likes

Good shout, I wasn’t even aware of it.

I guess depends a lot on the size of your portfolio and average order. E.g. for BRK.B the max position is currently 203,937 USD, still a long way to go…

Agreed!

I am a 212 user and this is the one thing that’s an annoyance about 212.

Sure like you say, on a lot of things 212 is up there with the best of them.

The share limits thing doesn’t sit right with me.

Sure I won’t stop using 212, and I’ve yet to reach the limits myself.

Even though my dislike of it is mostly ‘in principle’ and academic in nature, I still do dislike it.

Some within 212 suggest other brokers do it. I’ve had as many as 14 different stockbrokerage accounts* in my lifetime and never come across this anywhere where I’ve had an account.

*Some now closed or consolidated

I’ve also never heard of it, even with providers I’ve never used as well.

I’ve campaigned at every possible opportunity to get 212 to end this, and to end it for good.

2 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

212 are offering a very good platform but the limits are just crazy. Another thing that really rattled me about T212 is a trying to avg down on HE1, my order was pending for over a week and i got nothing. Then boom it shot up. Ive always struggled buying lowcap stock on 212. I tried Iweb GIA and its ok but very bare bones, not sure its for me but might come in handy for some trades. Now i know this is Freetrades competition thread but i have given them a hard time in the past, about execution times and pending orders, my ISA here has been dormant for over 2years...even the app looks the same from years ago. But im absolutely shocked how things here have improved here at FT, Im using my ISA here again, Ive probably done 20 trades so far and all were instant. Well done Freetrade

9 Likes

I have used Freetrade for HE1 Helix Cornish Metals all without a problem

2 Likes

212 use direct market access for your trades hence why AIM and low cap stocks you have to wait for your order to be matched and filled.
FT put your orders through to Marketmakers so get an instant quote and filled.

5 Likes