Gold funds

Would also come in handy for WW3 / any other apocalyptic scenario

You’d certainly do more damage hitting a zombie over the head with a gold bar than with your phone

2 Likes

iPhone XS’s weight is 174 grams and it costs £1,000. Gold is currently £983 per ounce, meaning that 6.14 ounces of gold would equal the iPhone’s weight and cost about £6,000.

I am not sure how heavy a gold bar is supposed to be, but it is evidently cheaper to get six times more phones, glue them together and use as a weapon. That said, I’d argue that it is more effective to buy a million of Nokia 3310s and build an impenetrable fortress instead!

9 Likes

I love that you did the maths for that :clap:

3 Likes

For WW3, I’d rather have tinned food and a gun. Food and ammunition will be the most valuable commodities, all stock markets will be shut either way.

What’s peoples thoughts on not investing in Gold because it’s not a productive asset.

If you had £10k of Gold and 10K of farm land over a 10 year period. Your farm land can produce crops and yield you more income. Whereas your gold just sits there doing nothing, therefore it’s not productive at all. Your just betting that people in 10 years there will be more demand for gold which could be quite risky. Whereas at least with your farmland or your stocks you would’ve received dividends or income in that period

Gold only has value because people think it has value. When there is a market drop or a recession, people invest in gold and thus the price rises. But the reason is not that gold is a security for anything, it’s just that people somehow think that gold is secure.
Gold is just psychology, but I would add some to my portfolio. Not because i think it has value, but because most people think and act accordingly.

I always find it somewhat peculiar how polarised the debate around gold often is. Personally, as with most things, I think the answer lies somewhere in between two compelling arguments.

I have a 5% allocation to SGLN. It’s been by far and away my best-performing holding over the past eight months or so (up more than 25%). The surplus from rebalancing this week has allowed me to pump cash into stocks that have taken a battering by comparison.

1 Like

Depends on the definition of productive, but Gold does have utility beyond being shiny:

To the moon :rocket:

1 Like

Reversion to the moon :slight_smile:

How is everyone feeling right now with the gold they’re holding ?
Are you planning on selling some off?

Hoding my gold for long term

How is everyone feeling right now with the gold they’re holding ?
Are you planning on selling some off?

Just sold the last of it, though based on historical figures from 2008 I’d expect it to go up more in the next couple of years slowly in reaction to currencies depreciating as more money is printed/borrowed.

I’d like to restart buying stocks in the coming months though, that’s the reason for selling the gold…

2 Likes

I hold 5% of my portfolio in gold as a ‘currency crisis’ hedge more than anything. With all of the money printing going on at the moment and deficits/debt higher than ever it’s possible for a crisis to happen in my opinion. I’m a big fan of Ray Dalio and his work - this book is definitely worth a read!

Principles for Navigating Big Debt Crises: The Archetypal Big Debt Cycle / Detailed Case Studies / Compendium of 48 Cases https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1732689806/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J2wNEbME09722

What are currently holding for gold? ETFs? Certain stocks?

Available on Freetrade:
iShares Physical Gold ETC (SGLN)
Gold Bullion Securities ETC (GBP) (GPSS)
Royal Mint Physical Gold ETC (RMAP) - Plus account only.
iShares Gold Mining Producers ETF (SPGP)
Legal & General Gold Mining ETF (ACUP) - Plus account only.
or exposure by owning individual mining stocks.
Some investors prefer ‘paper gold’ ETC or to own actual gold bullion/coin. Others have a bit of each. There are various pros and cons of owning either.

1 Like

AUAG ESG Gold Miner ETF - ESGO is an interesting new ETF, main difference is it only chooses the best 25 ESG rates miners and is equal weighted