Lloyds Banking Group - LLOY - Share Chat

Lloyds Banking Group PLC is a large British retail bank offering a range of services and products including mortgages, loans, pensions and asset management.

1 Like

People seem to be very interested in lloyds?

Every weekly tweet of most popular includes it, when people talk about their favourite stock lloyds comes up too.

In terms of banks, it’s revenue, it’s reach etc seems to be just another big bank?

Am I right in thinking it’s just due to it being a decent dividends payer and super cheap?

I think a lot of people are buying it because its so cheap, you can get a share with spare change. I have some but not for that reason, I got some as part of a diverse range of dividend payers

6 Likes

Yeah I have noticed this too. It is a good thing I think to see that there are investors on the platform who aren’t just investing in tech companies and recent IPO entrants!
I have shares on a valuation basis yes, also as an interest rate play (banks in general would fit this criteria), and also because I like the size of their legacy pension plans (Scottish Widows as an example).

1 Like

Any bank that can’t understand that everything is going mobile isn’t worth the money. They are gonna have so much costs associated with closing down all the branches

To be fair, I think the Lloyds mobile app is pretty good and offers most features that challengers do.
Plus they can also offer perks like fee free overdrafts etc etc

1 Like

I think Lloyd’s realised the importance of mobile. They announced a plan to invest £3bn over the next 3 years in February last year. You can read about that plan here -

How much they’ll do with the 3bn is another question. For example as Poem says, they’ve replicated some of the challenger’s features in their app but the user experience is still far worse in my opinion. And they’re going to be held back a lot by their legacy technology but who knows.

2 Likes

I can’t send money to someone without adding an account number , sort code and receiving a bludey phone call

2 Likes

Wow, amazing write up thank you!

I think the mobile strategy is super important as pointed out by you and @Freetrade_Team1

3 Likes

Lloyds Bank doesn’t seem to be able to get much love from investors. Shares in the group have drifted down from about 85p five years ago to just 58p at the time of writing.

As the stock has been falling, Lloyds’ profits have been rising. So has the bank’s dividend. So what’s the problem? One risk is that the bank’s profits depend heavily on the UK consumer economy, thanks to its £264bn mortgage book and £18bn credit card business. Alongside this, it has over £15bn in motor finance and has lent £32bn to small- and medium-sized businesses.

If the UK economy heads into recession, some of these loans may fall into arrears, causing profits to fall. On the other hand, the economy may not be about to crash. And even if it does, Lloyds’ balance sheet is much stronger than it used to be, thanks to post-2009 regulatory changes.

Taking all this into account, I think Lloyds 6% dividend yield looks a decent buy-and-hold choice for income investors.

4 Likes

Good write ups. I invested into Lloyds a few years ago and it has baffled me why my investment is down so much. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks it is a good buy. Maybe Brexit and the fear of a recession had compressed the share price rather.

2 Likes

It makes sense that Lloyds is a decent pick with a somewhat stable price and a decent yield.

Barclays
HSBC
RBS

Seem to have huge swings in price

I assume your share price return has been negative, but your total return would be positive if you include dividend yield/return on top of share price performance?

1 Like

No unfortunately it doesnt. I only bought ÂŁ400 odd so with HL ÂŁ12 followed by a rather unfortunate drop i still havent quite broken even. :neutral_face:

4 Likes

:arrow_up: or :arrow_down:

Fool’s take on Lloyds:

Anyone adding Lloyds to their portfolio for 2020?

1 Like

I am.

It’s not at its 52-week high, and call me risk-averse, but a dividend yield over 5% from a stable, well-performing company is not that easy to come by.

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 3.48.33 PM
(Source)

Of course, like any other investments, it doesn’t come without its share of risk, and my “well-performing” statement can be challenged.

(Source)

4 Likes
1 Like

Ooof as a shareholder I don’t like that. Good for revenue bad for retention

All overdrafts are around this APR now.

4 Likes