Megathread - šŸ”„ Dividend Fest šŸ”„

Some great points in this thread. Hereā€™s my two penniesā€™ worthā€¦

I like the core-satellite strategy, so I have most of my money in tax-wrapped passive investments and Iā€™m slowly adding a high-yield portfolio as a satellite through a Freetrade basic account.

Why? First, Iā€™d like to learn more about investing; second, I like the idea of having separate pots; and third, I think dividend payers are easier for relative novices like me to get your head around.

As mentioned above, high-yield ETFs are not a bad shout. A word of caution though: some seem to pick stocks in a yield-at-all-costs manner.

Evraz and Plus500 are IUKDā€™s top two holdings, for example. The 15-30% dividend yields may be enticing but theyā€™re certainly not for the faint-hearted!

If you do go the income route, for me at least, the biggest factors are size of company, yield, dividend cover, dividend growth record, debt levels and sector diversification.

3 Likes

Some very interesting replies here, thanks a lot everyone - really informative.

1 Like

Hi jspen, I donā€™t think anyone would suggest that you ā€œshouldā€ do anything when it comes to investing.

You need to do plenty of research to decide what works best for you. There are many free places online where you can get professional information. Seeking Alpha, Investor Place, Market Watch are just three that come to mind. See what they say about Dividend Stocks and mull it over. Read as much as you can. The FT at the weekend is great. Investors Chronicle has good info too. Get books to educate yourself as much as possible on investing.

I love YouTube for an easy and quick way to get information. I have a number of favourite Youtubers who I listen to almost on a daily basis. Alessio Rastani is great.

I highly recommend Kenny Robinson if you want to learn more about Dividend Stocks and investing. Hereā€™s one of his videos: Living off of Dividend Stocks - YouTube
Do a search on YouTube for Dividend Stocks and see what other Youtubers have to say too. Certainly, Kenny has persuaded me that itā€™s time to invest in Dividend Stocks. Also, the FT Money section in last weekendā€™s paper had a column saying Growth Stocks are coming to the end of their cycle and that now is the time to go into Dividend Stocks. Thereā€™s possibility of a global recession within the next 12-18 months, and it is expected to be more hard-hitting than 2008.

Be aware though that the stocks with the highest dividends will be riskier. Lower dividends are not bad to shoot for. It really depends on your risk level but a well diversified portfolio should help balance out your portfolio when we hit another recession.

But before you start throwing money at stocks you need to do your due diligence. And patience is also a key: buy low and sell high. Donā€™t chase stocks that are rallying.

Iā€™m going to list some of the stocks that Kenny recommends some time soon.

Hope this helps.

When I started investing I didnā€™t really take dividends into account when considering what stocks to buy but I have recently been moving over to investing in higher dividend paying stocks. Hereā€™s a couple Iā€™d recommend.

Imperial Brands
[url]https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/i/imperial-brands-group-ordinary-10p/dividends[/url]
Imperial Brands had a dividend yield of 7% last year. Now is a good time to buy since the price has dropped due to some drama over vape and e-cigs in the US. I expect to hold it for about 3 years at least so can ride out the ups and downs.

Greencoat UK
[url]https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/g/greencoat-uk-wind-plc-ordinary-shares/dividends[/url]
Greencoat had a dividend yield of 5.4% last year. They arenā€™t a massive mover in terms of stock price but have been growing steadily. IMO a pretty safe place to put your money and get a tidy 5%+ interest on it.

For Greencoat one should remark that itā€™s not a normal stock but a fund and costs 1.15% per year in management fees.

4 Likes

Is there an easy way to check how much a company has paid you in dividends, as oppose to searching all the way through your activity.

2 Likes

You always get an email from Freetrade telling you :+1:t2:

Thatā€™s not particularly useful when youā€™re analysing your holdings. Youā€™d have to go through all your emails.

Why is it not mentioned in your holdings section?

1 Like

You can search for keywords in every email provider and sort the emails. Itā€™s not an amazing solution but takes me 1 min.

Wouldnā€™t it make sense for dividend information to be included in the activity screen?

6 Likes

It is in the activity? Screenshot_20201109-135917_Freetrade

1 Like

Thatā€™s activity in general and not in recent activity in the share holding itself.

2 Likes

Got you. Id personally like a way of sorting general activity buy type. So buy, sell, income. That type of thing. Canā€™t think of anything worse than having to go in to each individual share to view the dividend income on recent activity.

1 Like

Good few months. Reach, Lloyds and Aviva bumping up the numbers

2 Likes

This is why, unfortunately, I find myself using a spread sheet to keep track of a lot of things within my FT ISA - dividends, buying, selling. It would be so much better if you could do more things within the app, not least sort your stocks into alphabetical order! To get back to dividends though, the email you get is very helpful where you can see how many shares there were on ex-dividend date and what the dividend per share was. Sadly, the app activity feed shows none of this, nor does it include the dividend within the stock information!

4 Likes

Umm. Not sure this is true. A lot of people on the internet are providing Financial advice - even when they say things like ā€œDYORā€ etc etc. It is up to you to decide whether to take that advice or not. It is important to understand under what capacity the advice is provided. Specifically be clear whether you are dealing with an entity that is registered to provide the financial services that it says it does. In the UK advice on products can only be offered by FCA regulated firms.

The UK FCA differentiates between ā€œguidanceā€ and ā€œadviceā€. It requires companies to be clear about what services they provide and this has a huge bearing on regulations and protections customers receive. We need to be aware whether we are dealing with (a) regulated firms and (b) whether those firms do explicitly indicate they provide advice. Dealing with regulated forms which legally provide advice (on the internet or otherwise) gives us various consumer protections.

1 Like

This thread has gone and messed up :roll_eyes::thinking:

4 Likes

I wanted to make one thread for general dividend discussion so merged about 15 topics into one, it didnā€™t do it chronologically - my fault sorry!

4 Likes

Oh @NeilB :roll_eyes::man_facepalming: your reputation has been ruined now! Thought you was ā€œthe oneā€ :joy:
Trying to insert a matrix gif but wouldnā€™t let me

1 Like