Question about dividends

Only recently started investing and want to go in easy so have bought a few well know shares that offer a decent about of dividends.

But wanted to ask for example Tescoā€™s has its ex-dividends date on the 20th of may and payment date on 2 July if I were to sell the shares a couple of days before the payment date would I still receive dividends as I know onceā€™s they are paid the price of the share drops by the same about of dividends paid

Thanks

Yes youā€™d still receive it. The drop is on the ex date, not the pay date.

1 Like

Ok thank you for the clarification

Iā€™m guessing it would make sense to sell the shares before the payment date and then re but if need me?

Not really. That makes no financial sense either.

Selling before a dividend payment date, unless you no longer wanted the shares or they hit such a sweet price, that you believe a crash to be imminent, is a strange practice.

A lot of people sell immediately upon reaching the ex-dividend date, it too has been shown to be a flawed system.

When you sell, the dividends payment does generally cause a relative share price reaction in a downward direction & you will absorb not only that dip but you will further lose on the spread between a current purchase price & its future sale price - that being anything from a fraction of a pence to several pence per share.

Likewise, to buy back in you instantly buy at a premium to the ā€˜sale priceā€™. Not only that but stamp duty & other charges that you once had settled (on the previous holding), are applied again.

People need to beware all these strange practices. On occasion, the stars may align & you end up better off but that is few & far between.

The correct course of action is to buy steady dividend paying shares for the long term & retain them.

Dividend investing neednā€™t be complicated as many make it.

In fact, I believe Freetrade, T212 etc should apply a freeze on dividend share sales for 48hrs from an ex-date.

It must be a commission free phenomena because nobody in their right mind would do this hokey-cokey routine if they were subject to a commission charge on both sales & purchases.

Really bizarre tactics like these should be researched & understood.

Thereā€™s no way a financial industry as developed as the stock market, can be beaten by such a rudimentary tactics. They close any obvious gaps & rig fail-safes into just about any conceivable point of manipulation.

3 Likes