Megathread - šŸ”„ Dividend Fest šŸ”„

Good read that. These bullet points on constructing a high yield portfolio may be helpful for others:

• Donā€™t invest more than 10% of the portfolio into any one stock
  • Donā€™t have more than three (out of about 20) holdings from one industry
  • Donā€™t invest more than 50% of the portfolio in one country
  • Do invest at least 50% of the portfolio into defensive stocks
  • Donā€™t invest in highly cyclical stocks (miners, oil & gas, housebuilders, etc)
  • Donā€™t invest in fragile businesses (low profitability, high debts, no competitive advantages)
10 Likes

Seems I have done everything it says not to do, crys lol

9 Likes

While a good guide, I donā€™t think theyā€™re necessarily hard-and-fast rules. I tend to avoid highly cyclical stocks but, for a high-yield portfolio, Iā€™d probably want TW and RIO in there. That said, if I was to go this route, it would be easier ā€“ and arguably better ā€“ to buy investment trusts instead.

6 Likes

The message from @rehpotā€™s summary is: diversify. Tried and tested message :wink:.

I read an interesting point somewhere once. If all your stocks are green then you probably havenā€™t diversified well. Tongue in cheek. But there is a point to that statement.

11 Likes

Diversification is key for a high-yield portfolio but itā€™s often overlooked.

I see so many portfolios crammed with stocks from similar sectors and industries, eg three banks, two insurers and an asset manager ā€“ but what happens when financials nosedive and dividends dry up?

3 Likes

Mine are all red bar a few like money gram etc which are still +20% the S n p is still in green other than that pretty much every other stocks red hehe.

Like I have said on other posts with 100 pounds a month it doesnā€™t get you far and to actully reach out and buy a few stocks all around the globe I would need more cash or else wait months until I have enough to buy all or buy one stock one month and the others the next but I feels a long wait, so s n p are my go to for now with rio and any change left was random others :slight_smile: uk100 etc

3 Likes

IMO Ā£100 a month is a lot of money. In my early stages of investing I would have used it to buy a pooled Fund be it an ETF, Investment trust or a unit trust. Freetrade doesnā€™t sell Unit trusts. So certainly easy to diversify from the get go if you want to. Few individual stocks is a risky business.

4 Likes

Sounds like most of his money is going on ETFs, eg S&P, FTSE 100, with the loose change going on individual shares, so getting all his Ā£100 working for him!

2 Likes

Ā£100 should be applauded donā€™t worry about other people.

ā€œComparison is the thief of joyā€

16 Likes

Yes the majority of my fund is in the rio, uk100, snp500 and all world, then I have admiral, Drax, meggitt, and a few others, with a big loss in MGC Pharma. I fell for the penny stock trap lol

In total I have 22 stocks but many are single buys or some left over free shares with the majority of the cash in 8 shares out of the 22.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Meggitt plc - MGGT

Good morning

Ive begun investing in both us and uk companies that pay dividend stocks. I want to know any companies who pay monthly divident payments?

Any advice
Thanks

If youā€™re looking to build a portfolio which pays a ā€œmonthly incomeā€, selecting only companies which pay monthly dividends is one way to go but there arenā€™t that many to choose from.

Over time however, if you invest in various companies/investments which pay dividends at different times of the year, you can end up getting income every month - most companies pay out quarterly.

5 Likes

Focusing on monthly payers would limit your choice when trying to build a balanced diversified dividend portfolio.

3 Likes

hi

Thanks for reply. I have done some research on this-I invested in 10 companies now and most pay quarterly-however i can still get a monthly small income which is great. I am diversifying my portfolio too which makes it more interesting,

4 Likes

To answer the question I have a holding in Gladstone capital GLAD.

3 Likes

Also answering your question, I hold Balanced Commercial Property Trust Ltd (BCPT) which pays monthly. Share price has been decimated recently, yield is 5.4% but this REIT is currently trading at 48.34% discountā€¦

Iā€™ve been cautiously topping up.

As ever, do your own research!

4 Likes

Realty Income
Stag Industrial

Not aware of any UK stocks - except for Reits.

2 Likes

Where do you get these charts from?

Google Sheets :wink:
I have recorded the dividend payments in a spreadsheet and then generated the graphs from Sheets.

2 Likes