Megathread - šŸ”„ Dividend Fest šŸ”„

Im very impressed tbh.

I keep notes on basic outgoings but its not super accurate, just a guideā€¦ Iā€™m sure I could spend less by being more accurate.

Being a figures person will help with investing too im sure.

I have no real understanding of a balance sheetā€¦which in many ways is laziness on my part as Iā€™m generally ok with numbers.

I invest on written research and opinion, sentiment and my take on world events and developments.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not actully good at English or maths at all everything I do is just pure basics.

Iā€™m like you and donā€™t know yet how to fully read balence sheets so I also am being a sheep following what others are buying into in general, but making sure I also like the company too.

I try to pick snippets from yahoo finance or politics to see if I should sell move on or buy more.

I will properly learn how to deal with a companies finances from here on out.

Current audio book rich dad poor dad, what an amazing book so far, I actully had this before all the youtubers done their I have read 20 finance books and hereā€™s my take.

Rich dad poor dad gets really high reviews.

4 Likes

Always looking to learn more about this investing business is definetly a positive.

I do think you can know nothing and do well, and know everything and be rubbishā€¦but self improvement and education is always a good thingā€¦and as portfolios start to build into serious money you want a degree of confidence.

I have every faith youā€™ll get to your Ā£100k and beyondā€¦keep at it and keep sharing. I appreciate your input and its good to encourage one another :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks man, I agree itā€™s good to learn rich dad poor dad isnā€™t all just about money though as I didnā€™t have a father in my life this book kind of fills in gaps for me itā€™s weird in a way, feel like Iā€™m getting taught by my my dad, itā€™s more a lifes lessons book so far anyways with different views on how people make money, career choices etc. Iā€™m not sure if you have heard or read the book but I reccomend it.

I agree, I mean you could just fling all your cash in the snp500 and overtime you should do really well but of course you never know what might happen.

Thanks I hope I can make it even if the time frames a little longer, the reason for the 100k is what munger and every other big investor says the first 100k is hard then you can relax a little as the compounding effect takes place at this level with extreme results.

I also agree if I had a 100k portfolio and I didnā€™t know much I think I would be really edgy, but since its no where near that at the moment I have plenty time to get down to buinsess haha.

And thanks I will keep you posted I will @ you in about 10 years time or so haha

2 Likes

I will check out your reading recommendation, thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

I also look forward to that @ about you hitting the Ā£100k :partying_face:

I see that as my target tooā€¦but I dont expect to get there for 10-12 years or moreā€¦time will tell, and Iā€™m good with that.

One step at a timeā€¦we just need to keep moving in the right direction and time will do the rest :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sweet, hope you like it.

Its good I have some other people trying for the same goal, I didnā€™t actully know how much or how close you were to the 100k or even if you had it already :muscle:

So good luck to my fellow 100k playah

1 Like

Im a way off Ā£10k yet so will be a while :rofl:

Im 44 so trying to save what I reasonably can, but i only started in February so the ISA is still quite small just now.

All in good timeā€¦definitely a marathon, not a sprint.

1 Like

I started in 2021 July but made lots of newbie mistakes so sold at major losses on a few I think though since 2021 with a 4.1k pot u was down about Ā£60-90 when I sold so I did make lots of gains but lost out due to a few pennies stocks almost folding, Iā€™m pretty sure I seen down by 64 ish pounds.

The first week of opening my isa after selling all my gia to my isa I was up Ā£74 pound but itā€™s taken a noze dive again but then I got paid Ā£48 from rio and it still stayed in 4.2% profit even after the pay out.

So now I await my free Ā£50 share from free trade this should see me back in profit more lol. I think itā€™s going to be bumpy ride again in the markets until rates come down.

1 Like

Definitely a bumpy ride.

Like you, and maybe other newbies,I was also looking for penny stocks and massive wins in all the wrong places.

Quality, value assests to hold for the long term seems to be a much smarter idea. Forget the current ups and downs and focus on building assets for the future.

No harm in a small punt on one or two small caps, but best make that a small part of your overall portfolio :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s exactly it, if I were to place 1k on something stable then now a days I would place Ā£10 on something unstable.

Newbie power haha

1 Like

September dividends have now all been received.

Ā£128.74 received (September notoriously good for me).
On a Ā£26,876.98 portfolio (up by Ā£2,676.98).
Normally invest Ā£550 per month but have not invested for the past 2 months as I have been have work done on the house.
Age 29.

A few stocks have now paid me back over 10% of my initial investment through dividends.

September 2023 was slightly worse than September 2022.

But 2023 is going strong and I should beat 2022.

Goal for end of 2023 is to get my portfolio to Ā£30,000.

8 Likes

Iā€™d love to see these graphs when pegged against VWRL or another low-cost Mega-ETF.

The only reason I ask is that when I transferred my SIPP here I ran the numbers on the back of an envelope and it seemed slightly better with less work.

8 Likes

Interesting post on high yield UK stocks:
Top 40 High-Yield Blue-Chip UK Stocks: Autumn 2023 (ukdividendstocks.com)

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty good list. I canā€™t think of many I would consider adding aside from Diageo and maybe Relx, which donā€™t have sky-high yields anyway.

I donā€™t think youā€™d go far wrong picking one from each sector: housebuilding, mining, utilities, staples, tobacco, banking, insurance and so on.

3 Likes

i like this site as it gives a good picture of companies who grow dividend payments

DividendData.co.uk

2 Likes

Itā€™s also good for giving you notifications of impending dividends of stocks which you own - this can be done with a free account.

2 Likes

Ā£29.13 Bank of Georgia

Paid on dividend day, while market still open.

Nice work FTā€¦not even slacking on a Friday :blush:

4 Likes

Hi Bob,

Got mine too - didnā€™t think it would arrive until Monday earliest. So yes, well done @Freetrade_Team .

How do you view the recent approx 14% from the high point in the share price? (Iā€™ve been mulling whether to bank my profits or just wait until the next upturn).

2 Likes

Credit where creditā€™s due: HGTā€™s dividend has also been distributed on payment date.

1 Like

Im not a great analyst or anything.

But the recent weakness seems to be commensurate with the LSE and in particular finance stocks.

Little seems to have changed with B of G , that generally seems to be regarded as a good hold / buy.

Same thoughts I have about LGEN.

Happy to buy more. Im content its a good long term hold as things stand.

Now I had started picking up some BARC prior to earnings this week, thinking it was undervaluedā€¦but the weakness there seems specific to poor performanceā€¦so I have changed my mind and sold.

But B of G (and LGEN) seem to be still in a good placeā€¦just currently on a low market tide.

2 Likes