MEGATHREAD: European expansion 🇪🇺

I was referring to the userbase of this forum as it is predominantly UK investors. I love talking about stocks worldworld but yes a sub-forum for country specific issues would be good for each Euro nation and in a language which is native to them.

2 Likes

Trade Republic (German FT) just announced its launch in France:

4 Likes

Would be great if we all could get an update on the EU expansion plans. There are already 2 “neo” brokers available in France with a similar model to FT.

4 Likes

From the looks of the career page, they are focusing on Sweden & the Netherlands

1 Like

There was an opening for Country launcher in France as well. Guess it was filled… =)

3 Likes

There will be an update in the upcoming newsletter, @szb. :+1:

45 Likes

Great Viktor thanks. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Where is it if I may ask? Many thanks.

1 Like

Any hints on the timeline for this newsletter?

10 Likes

Does Freetrade have a licence to operate in Europe yet? It seems to be taking forever to expand outside the UK. Can they not just replicate the UK app in Europe get more funding get more staff and expand a little quicker. If they have the European Licence then I don’t get why they are not getting more funding,surley the VC’s are throwing themselves at Freetrade for funding,now that everyone knows they will soon be a unicorn x2-3

3 Likes

I’m going to hazard a guess that those things may not be as simple as you think. We know that freetrade were looking for a Swedish md position, which looks like it’s no longer on the careers Web page so can only assume they’re making progress.

More info from the team would be great but I wouldn’t have said they’re doing nothing behind the scenes.

I wasn’t saying it was simple,but I’m saying they have a foundation built in the UK so can they not start from that in Europe and onboard customers and tweak things as they go along like they have done in the UK. You gota speculate to accumulate. So maybe they could start paying for the best engineers and push things along a little quicker.

5 Likes

Principal Product Manager(Cryptocurrency)?? Just saying??

14 Likes

:drooling_face: :money_mouth_face: :star_struck:

3 Likes

Nice detective skills. The demand is there. The FT software stack and product lends itself to it, so why not ? I assume they need some sort of FCA authorization(e-money).

1 Like

What does CASS mean from a trading perspective?

It’s not the same as retail banking’s consumer friendly acronym. CASS compliance in the broker/asset management context is principally concerned with how a firm protects its client assets and money.

2 Likes

Client assets sourcebook

I think they’re just waiting for the CBI to grant their Irish entity a licence… I wonder how long that normally takes, probably about 6 months?

1 Like