MEGATHREAD: European expansion 🇪🇺

No you won’t

Isn’t registering a company different from obtaining various licenses though?

2 Likes

It’s been a while. Any update on European expansion?

2 Likes

I think Europe’s actually contracting these days :pensive:

1 Like

Please may someone remind me the quick way to identify stocks from the European countries.

There is a search term for each European country to only show up those stocks. Someone posted it a while back but I cannot find it :frowning:

Thanks!

:arrow_down:

3 Likes

Sometimes I wonder how did we go from this:

To this:

18 Likes

IMO better to focus on the UK market where the company is losing traction (today the app is 55 in the App Ranking).

Honestly I do not think that the company has enough financial resources for an EU rollout.

1 Like

Is Freetrade still banned for advertising in the UK? Thought I saw something about that, misleading ads. Might be talking rubbish.

I don’t think it was misleading ads as such, wasn’t it influencer marketing without giving the necessary warnings about risk?

I think they were asked to remove the marketing, don’t know if that applies to new marketing going forward

2 Likes

The plan has not changed, even if the timeline has shifted. We’ve got beta testers on board in Sweden already and we’re looking to launch the app across Europe in pretty short order.

31 Likes

Really appreciated @acamp that someone from FT shows up instead of the silence I felt on this matter on last 6 months.

But to be honest, I think that FT should share a real and plausible timeline for European expansion. In my case as an old nvestor, I read about European expansion on 2020, then early 2021, then Adam saying the whole Europe before the end of 2021.

Even in the last round on November everyone was waiting for an expansion announcement. Almost 5 months passed since that round, and the info is the same: swedish beta testers onboarding. Even on this forum a lot of people joke about “soon” word used in FT communication.

For that reason, I think a real timeline for European expansion would be useful to align reality with users and investors expectations. Hope you can evaluate this suggestion.

16 Likes

Great things take time to be achieved! We should all be more patient and trust the team. Good luck to Freetrade!

4 Likes

The thing about EU expansion, is the product offering has to be high quality enough to enter the market as a complete and new, standalone product.
Europeans give no credit to the fact its a British company, a work in progress, crowdfunded in the UK, etc

FT offering (app + features) in Europe needs to be much more complete and with more features than we have now

So I hope (and expect) that a real launch in Europe won’t be a soft launch, with the current app, slowly building up etc. It will need to be hand in hand with big developments

We live in hope, anyway

5 Likes

Not sure why that’s different from the UK. Most Freetrade users don’t care that it was crowdfunded or a WIP. They just want Cheap access to stocks. Surely that will just be the same in the EU. especially in countries with few alternatives

6 Likes

I posted a little meme on the “Bonjour la France” thread showing I was bored waiting… that was in July last year.

To be honest, I am a little bit losing fate that the team will execute well enough. Actually, it’s a little bit more than that as we already now most timelines are never kept. I am less active in the community as not a lot is happening and I struggle to see the path to success (at least in France). It feels like most of the momentum is lost.

At this point, I’d probably be ok to sell my shares at the latest raise price and be on my way to explore other adventures. That makes me sad. :cry:

4 Likes

We focused on Sweden. That’s our gateway to France and all other EU markets.

Our entire Swedish team are using the app and preparing it for non-Freetrader customers. That rollout is only as far away as is the time we need to iron out a few final things in the Swedish app.

We know we kept you waiting too long. We’re coming.

40 Likes

Thank you for the update and transparency! Will the Swedish and EU accounts be local currency based?

1 Like

Agree. Massive land grab has already been happening in France by the new players over the past 12 months.

Have heard from my sources that TR for example is saying in private conversations that their marketing budget is unlimited in France. Also not sure how to compete with their value proposition (1eur for any trade)

Hoping for the EU wide PFOF ban in the coming years to level the playing field.

12 Likes

“Done is better than perfect.”

Wishing you the best of luck though. And eagerly waiting for the Japan launch!

11 Likes