MEGATHREAD: European expansion 🇪🇺

Limited product offering has so far been successful in the UK… I’d rather expand to Europe and figure out additional products along the way…

1 Like

For Europe we need European stocks anyway, so the news are good in this sense!

What update? Where do you get this info from?

Further delays ln European expansion its an opportunity for Freetrade’s competitors that are arising on multiple countries…

5 Likes

@Viktor Is it true that currently people from the Netherlands can only join Freetrade via the closed beta account? When do you think that everyone from the Netherlands will be able to join Freetrade without needing a beta version?

2 Likes

Honest to god. What is going on with Freetrade. Do they not communicate with the community anymore(unless it suits them. I will ask again WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE EUROPEAN EXPANSION? When will Freetrade be FULLY AVAILABLE in IRELAND and the NETHERLANDS? Thank you

2 Likes

They have an AMA tomorrow, ask the question to Adam!

2 Likes

Funnily, the 4 countries you name are the worst 4 in the whole EU in Integration of Digital Technology. It seems like personal wishes are distorting your view a little.
https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/integration-digital-technology

1 Like

Having spent a fair bit of time in Germany I thought your claim sounded quite odd… then I did some googling which confirmed it.

I do think you’re on to something. I would need to look it up again but is distinctly remember reading that a number of European countries are really under represented in the consumer financial market and there’s huge opportunity to take basically the entire market with little competition. Its simply a lack of investment by companies in those countries to provide consumers with investment opportunities.

Freetrade honestly should ignore everyone in this thread and go and properly investigate which European countries have these gaps in the market. Those are likely the opportunities.

1 Like

You mean outside the areas where 80% of Germans live? The UK, France and really any developed country have a large divide between the urban majorities and the rural minorities.

There is a difference between thinking out side the box and just making things up, “Germans are not very tech savvy” no idea how you came up with that idea, they are a leading country in most rankings.

3 Likes

Agreed, Berlin is basically the start-up hub of Europe.

3 Likes

There is already Trade Republic in Berlin and they raised 80 million, which would be the only reason not to make Germany a priority

Germany now has a number of cheap/free brokers with features that make Trade Republic look left behind: Justtrade, Gratisbroker, Smartbroker, Scalable Capital, flatex, and even the established players are revising their fee structure downwards - and trading hasn’t been as expensive as in the UK to start with. The best moment for entering the market over there has probably passed already.

1 Like

Correct. The funny thing is that I am currently in Germany and the only ads for a broker I have seen so far were from T212. They seem to be operating in Germany now too.

I’ve not been very keeping up with Freetrade recently. What happened to the Europe launch? It’s not on the Christmas 2020 list.

I’m in the UK, so as a customer, it’s not that important. But I’m interested as an investor. And surely access to European exchanges and Euro wallets would help UK/plus users.

2 Likes

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now"

13 Likes

In the recent AMA, Adam said they don’t want to launch in Europe on the UK license passporting just to have passporting cut off in January (assuming no deal keeps it around). Passporting being the EU law where a company authorised by their countries financial regulator (UK’s FCA) can operate in other EU counties. So, now the plan is to first get a license in another EU country, which they’ve already applied for an I think they said they expect it soon (I can’t remember exactly). So basically playing it safe. The original timeliness for a europe launch assumed Brexit would be further delayed or a deal would be in place.

9 Likes

They should move their operation to the EU and treat the UK market as the oddity/odd one out! I would have absolutely no problem supporting an EU based trading platform over a UK based one. In fact, I’d probably feel more protected given the regulation bonfire that’s anticipated across the UK soon and the high level of consumer protections within the EU.

*Disclaimer - I’m an idiot with no knowledge of the sector and the rules/legislation around this. I assume they’d have done it already if it was easy for their company/staff.

5 Likes

@Viktor @Freetrade_Team
Revolut has just announced that they will kind of close theirs Trading Platform (Revolut Trading) in EU on 31 December 2020 due to Brexit.
Link (in Polish): Cashless - Revolut: nowy regulamin zakupu i sprzedaży akcji. Na decyzję macie czas do 31 grudnia 2020 r.
Now I have to decide whether to sell stocks on Revolut and transfer this money to mBank to buy back again the same stocks in mBank eMakler (paying quite high fees) or to wait for Freetrade to launch in Poland (if Freetrade is launching in Poland soon).
Will you launch in Poland before March 2021?
Or at least in the first half of 2021?
Please answer.

11 Likes