MEGATHREAD: European expansion 🇪🇺

I am from the Netherlands and I am using the beta version of Freetrade. Currently in the Netherlands you can only use Freetrade as a beta tester. However, this beta option is going on for more than 1 year now. So I am curious when the official launch of Freetrade will happen in the Netherlands.

I can definitely tell you that Freetrade is currently not ready to roll-out openly in the Netherlands. My biggest handicaps so far as Dutch user of Freetrade are the following:

• Top-up experience: you have to have a GBP account (for example using TransferWise). This is not ideal for EURO based countries. This should definitly be fixed in the future especially if Freetrade has plans to expand in the rest of Europe.

• Not able to invest in ETF-Bond as a Dutch investor. I think Bond exposure should be a must to hedge against Stock volatility.

18 Likes

Hi Francesco! Great to hear from a Dutch beta tester. Both of those things are priority 0 before we launch fully. :+1:

6 Likes

Hi Viktor. Thanks for your reply. Just to be clear about the priority scale: 0 means “top priority”? :rofl:

2 Likes

Ha. Yes. I assume that was a typo for priority 1 …certainly hope so. I believe FT have always said they will provide a local currency account for go live

1 Like

Hey, pls expand to Austria aswell. looking for weeks now for good apps to trade with. but couldnt find any good ones.

4 Likes

Any idea for the Freetrade PLUS version that will be offered to European investors?

Would the Plus package stay the same as it is now?
Currently Stocks and shares ISA are offers as part of the PLUS offer. However, as European people we may not have access to the ISA shares. So this kept me thinking… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Probably a question for Boris or Rishi first?

4 Likes

Any update on the status of the European license?

Any update on the local products to be included in the first wave of expansion?

Thanks

18 Likes

I’ll be moving to Spain within the next two years so expansion into the Spanish Market would benefit me greatly. Also there’s not a lot of options available to Spanish investors at the moment so I think there’s a good strong market for FT to get into.

I’m an FT+ customer too so of you offered that product too that would be even better.

13 Likes

Dear Freetrade,
This year I wish you to launch in Poland :laughing:

23 Likes

I love the very generic nature of your user name :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Sweden first, since that’s where the base will be.

3 Likes

I love their persistence! Freetrade please launch in Poland :fist:

9 Likes

Waiting :freetrade: in Italy since 2018! Please, launch in :it: !! :pray: :pray:

12 Likes

Please launch in every country on planet earth

6 Likes

Soon Mars (Oh how I would like to invest in SpaceX on FT :innocent:).

(to keep on topic: please launch in Portugal too :portugal:!

5 Likes

Hi @Viktor and the Freetrade Growth team!
There seems to be a few folks here in the forum who live in the countries you’re about to foray into. I suspect a few of them could leverage their networks to help make Freetrade a success in Germany, France, the Netherlands, Ireland and Sweden.
The trick would be to reach out to them where they’re most likely to answer (i.e. email) and list very specific asks (e.g. “country launcher candidate referral”, “intro to media xyz”). Given the size of this community I think this could yield great results!

5 Likes

Are Freetrade also planning on launching country & lanaguage specific community forums. This forum is UK orientated and I would want it to stay that way.

Is it known if EUR accounts will be available at launch? Or even USD like Robinhood’s (now delayed/cancelled) launch in UK?

And will Freetrade allow to use a EU account (E.g. NL) for another EUR-country?
I believe this is how Belgians are using Degiro at the moment. Taxes were initially taken care of by the investor, not the broker.

Uk oriented as in talking about taxes? I think Welcome to www.non.uk stocks could be interesting. They get less attention and if a UK-based user might see interesting opportunities in buying those stocks. But I think fiscal stuff should go in a specific subforum per country