MEGATHREAD: European expansion 🇪🇺

Hi just take into consideration that Revolut is not so popular in Germany. I’m with a German IT company with an office in Romania and we have to tell our german colleagues(all tech savy) all the time about Revolut. In Romania nearly all my friends use it. Don’t know if it would apply the same for an app for stocks, just that Germany even with so much money is not closely following the fintech world.

4 Likes

I’d really love to have it here in Sweden. We don’t really have any good stock-trading application

6 Likes

Definitely Slovenia. I’ve been looking for sometime now for investing in ETFs and also stock trading and found nothing. I had to create an N26 account and register through the Irish DeGiro website, because that was basically the only cheap (relatively) way to invest. I’m waiting on Freetrade for stock trading.

5 Likes

Regarding the European Expansion.
When addressing the subject of European Expansion, I assume Freetrade means offering the service to people living in EU countries.

I don’t know if, within this European Expansion, the inclusion of stocks of the European Exchanges is part of the plan or not.

We are now in the process of including US stocks.

I think it’s wise for the European Expansion to include not only the equivalents to ISA’s, but also stocks of those countries. I believe it would have positive impacts on a local level in terms of the development of the community in those countries, which could support growth.

Maybe start with the STOXX 600. It’s partially on the app, since it includes companies listed in the London stock exchange, and take it from there…

Think local. Grow global. Freetrade.

6 Likes

Don’t forget Portugal! Although we don’t have any good trading app, there are a lot of eager investors!

2 Likes

I know this is further down the list, but are you currently actively looking at expansion opportunities at the moment and will this be happening this year? Thanks!

3 Likes

The link on notion points to the last update on progress which is from mid last year.

Where does it say 2019? It just says Later on the roadmap page, that could mean anything

My question is whether there’s currently progress being made.

1 Like

We’re focused on launching the Android app right now but our plans are on track for EU expansion by the end of the year :rocket:

10 Likes

Sounds great, thanks! :rocket:

1 Like

I understand that Balkan countries are not interesting for financial business. But you would be surprised how much people here, especially in Croatia, would like to invest or try something new especially in this area, but the problem is because they don’t have any option because every investment site is avoiding these countries. I think that it would be really nice to give these countries a chance, who knows maybe they surprise you. Piece :v:

16 Likes

Totally agree. I also think Freetrade could actually launch it in english. That is what Interactive Brokers are doing and it is one of if not the most used broker in Bulgaria. Also because of the low competition you are going to pretty much take most of the market and will probably create more market.
The investing platforms in Bulgaria(and all around the Balkans I assume) are so not user-friendly it’s insane. It took me one month until I had my account active and funded. I used it for about a month and just closed it down.
It was just not worth using them if you are a retail investor.

3 Likes

I see Trade Republic and comdirect are only available in German?

Do you know if they have plans for English?

Probably not a great priority but would be great if we could launch in Greece! Most people speak English and economy will probably see growth in the next few years. Also, investing is very inaccessible at the moment and very expensive for people who are new to this area.

Plus, I may move there in a few years and want to continue my Freetrade journey :innocent:

3 Likes

Luxembourg
Norway
Ireland
Switzerland
Netherlands
Sweden
Iceland
Germany
Austria
Denmark
Belgium
France
Finland
Italy
Spain
Czech Republic
Portugal
Poland
Hungary
Greece

1 Like

Any reason or a reason for the few you left out?

1 Like

Keep an eye out for an update in the coming weeks! :+1:

9 Likes

The suspension is killing us! :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Viktor,

I suppose you have noticed, but BUX is launching BUX STOCKS in three countries in one or two months from. Moreover, the have 1.2 millon users on their traditional BUX app that will target as potential customers. How are you preparing to face this competition?

Best!

2 Likes