MEGATHREAD: Introducing Treasury 💼

Hi everyone :wave:

We’re introducing UK Treasury bills that currently offer over 5%* annualised yield!

UK 1 month** Treasury bills are low-risk, government-backed securities.

Individual investors have never had direct access to UK Treasury bills.

Until now.

To invest in UK Treasury bills on Freetrade:

1. Make sure you’re on the latest version of your app :iphone:
  2. Keep an eye out. We’re rolling this out over the next week or so :eyes:
  3. Once you have access, select Treasury from the account drop-down in the top left-hand corner of your Portfolio tab :bank:

Portfolio_GIA_-Treasury_1x1

UK 1 month** Treasury bills offer:

• Competitive yield: You could earn over 5%* annualised yield. The yield is not known until your order is executed.
  • Low risk: The UK government issues and backs UK Treasury bills, making them one of the safest investments around.
  • Fixed term: Your investment is locked in for a period of 1 month** before maturity.

Make sure you’re on the latest version of the Freetrade app.

Learn more on our educational resource page.

Happy investing!

Freetrade Team

The lowest annualised yield as of 8th of December tender was 5.15% and the average annualised yield was 5.23%. 1 month* investment. Read the DMO weekly report for more information.

**Each UK Treasury bill is a fixed investment for around a month, typically 28 days. However, your money will be tied up for a little longer. It will cease to be available for you to withdraw from the cut-off date, usually a Thursday, on the day before we purchase the UK Treasury bill, usually a Friday. On maturity, your money will become available once we receive the maturity value one business day later. Usually the maturity date is on a Friday and you receive the money on the following Monday, so your money may be tied up for 31 days or more.

The value of your investments can go down as well as up and you may get back less than you invest.

Freetrade does not give investment advice and you are responsible for making your own investment decisions. If you are unsure about what is right for you, you should seek independent advice.

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future returns.

13 Likes

This is promising, great work. Hopefully it’s the start of a bigger fixed-income offering.

Once it’s available in an Isa or Sipp, I’d consider using it, especially if I could build a bond ladder with it.

Some sort of “auto-ladder” feature would be cool.

FT can add to its USP by making bonds as well as stocks much more accessible for average Joe.

3 Likes

Is it not possible to own these in our Freetrade ISA?

2 Likes

Is the income from Treasury bills classed as income or interest? Therefore if it is interest it will be part of your £1000 allowance

It’s income not interest.

That is what I thought. I don’t see the benefit of treasury bills outside of a tax wrapper. When the tax is taken off then the interest/profit is about 4%. If you have not used all of your interest allowance, would it not make sense to invest in a high rate instant access account and earn a better return.

3 Likes

Whatever happen please keep one month [ 28 days ] even if you want longer times

Yes true if you are looking for a long term investment
However if you are looking for an alternative to a bank which pays nothing, this is brilliant. I am earning zero interest at the moment in the bank so 4% or even 3% will do me fine.

1 Like