Treasury Bills held in the SIPP

Will the custody fee for Treasury Bills held in the SIPP account be deducted directly from the yield after April 6th, 2024?

If yes, are there any plans to deduct the platform fee from the pension cash balance?

I also have a question about these - the potential 5% yield - does this count as capital gain or interest for tax purposes.
Thanks

Freetrade won’t be able to answer this but other forum members might be able to. Not sure I know how to put the treasury bill in to the freetrade sipp though.

It shows as a different account all together. Good question.

From the information I have been able to find, these T Bills are classed as ‘deeply discounted securites’ and gains are taxed as ordinary income.

2 Likes
1 Like

Thank you that is very helpful. But unfortunately won’t work for me if they can’t be held in an ISA. Thanks for the information

1 Like

Stay tuned :wink:

7 Likes

So I gather basically as is (if I’ve understood right);

If you had a salary between £12570 up to or around £50270 (depending on amount saved in Treasury Bills) you’d pay 20% tax on the yield

Salaries above £50270 it would be 40% tax on the yield

Meaning the example of £3.84 from a 5% annualised yield, is minus £0.77 for 20% = £3.07
And minus £1.54 for 40% = £2.30

Once you declare the yield to HMRC

2 Likes

It’s great to see the feature and others being worked on/being released

I look forward to it being available via an ISA and/or SIPP in future :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Am I right in saying as a basic rate tax payer, if I held those I would have to fill out a tax self assessment form? Just trying to work out if it’s worth it for a small amount of money

It may be that next years updates to tax means that hmrc would get the info from freetrade directly and then adjust your paye accordingly.

Might be something for freetrade can confirm if they will have a duty next year to share tax information like how other companies such as etsy are going to be forced to.

1 Like

That’s maybe why I couldn’t see it then I was hunting around in my isa for it lol