MEGATHREAD: Stock fundamentals 📊

You are totally correct! That kind of makes my point more valid as I need a 3rd party source to know when they are announced or manually go through every stock each week or something which i ridiculous.

I was hoping this would be something like the paid for services you can get where a notification is given when one is announced, or you get a nice list with all on one page for simplicity of seeing what is coming.

I am already signed up to all paid services but as I said before this would be a good plus incentive as people would love a calendar of what is due.

As with a lot of new things at Freetrade, it is much better than not having this function but feels like Beta or halfway to the service people actually want or need.

3 Likes

I get most of my dividend info from either the companies investor email services or RNS alerts from the LSE website (for UK stocks obvs). Both are free. Also get them through SimplyWallStreet, which is a paid service and usually a day or two behind the company/RNS emails.

They could have something similar like Robin Hood like once the payment is declared they can have it as pending in the activity feed until the payment date that would be pretty good

5 Likes

I see the merit of what you and @BIg-g are saying about a generic calendar. For people that want to know what they should be expecting it makes a great deal of sense. I don’t agree that this information should be in the activity feed. For one simple reason: it is not an activity. All I want to see in the activity feed is incomings and outgoings. In any case, just because the board declared it, it does not mean you will get it (you may sell long before the ex date).

We should also recognise that many people really don’t care about this. The reason they don’t is because they are not going to do anything with the information. It has no bearing on and doesn’t inform any investment decision that they make. Some people just reinvest the money when they see the money arrive (or have it done automatically if their broker provides a re-investment service). As I said earlier, I fully recognise it is really important for some people to know … so I am not arguing against having a calendar in the form @Big-g says … just making it clear that many have no need for it.

3 Likes

Or if it is an interim dividend they can cancel it right up to the ex-dividend date without recourse.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback on the dividend events, it’s been great to read your ideas on what else can make this even more valuable for you.

Some of you have asked about missing upcoming events. The reason for this is because we want to provide you with the most realistic and correct data you’d need to make investment decisions, and making a decision based on unconfirmed data, doesn’t sit right with us.

We currently show events on the individual stock page to benefit everyone (standard and plus customers) who visits the page. We also intend to present an aggregated view of dividend events across your portfolio in a single place. Once we start working on that you can expect a post to get involved in testing designs :wink:

As always, capital at risk, and please keep providing us with feedback!

Rafael

7 Likes

@Rafael any possibility of an answer to MEGATHREAD: Stock fundamentals 📊 - #107 by NeilB?

tl;dr your error message is user unfriendly - it results in users being concerned about their phone or app version or their wifi/internet connection. But the problem is actually not in the users control - it is a problem that Freetrade has and it isn’t fixing for now. Please can the message be more like @NeilB’s suggestion and thus remove the element of doubt that your present error message creates?

Thanks for the reminder @bitflip, @NeilB .

There are a couple of nuances with price targets that we’re currently working to resolve with our third party provider, namely the currency issue. Fundamentally it means that right now for some of those price targets, there aren’t actually any we can display at this time.

In the meantime updated the error messages to be clearer that there isn’t anything to show in these cases.

Thanks,
Rafael

1 Like

Hey yall, it’s me again,

Sharing some work in progress regarding EPS. I’ve got it mocked up with the latest data for Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon, and would love to get feedback from you all regarding the way the data is visualised.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback,
Rafael

13 Likes

Looks pretty cool!!

Looks good , data nice and clear

So what are you asking in regards to the visualisaton?

If its 3 different stocks, then the data is going to be different, but the algo is going to be same underneath all the same…

Are you showing where the data your pulling from is sourced from? Are you trying to show how close or far the source data is to actual EPS? or just trying to show the layout?
so 4 historical, and 2 estimations? - are Q2 '23 already present or at the moment just people say ‘id like it to be this’?

Im honestly not sure what feedback your wanting from this?

Hey @Bagshaw & all,

Thank you for your feedback.

You’re right that the data will be different for different stocks, @Bagshaw. The image above displays the latest data we would show.

To add clarity, the feedback I’m looking for on the shared EPS estimates is:

• Around the way the data is visualised, is it clear or not, and why?
  • If you go somewhere else to get this information at the moment, where do you go and how does this compare?
  • Keeping in mind the EPS data is realistic in the image above, does the way it is presented make sense?

Thanks again everyone,
Rafael

Hi @Rafael :wave:

I understood the concept and it’s clear once you understand that grey are predictions, red are eps estimate misses and green are estimates beat.

I would advise to have some form of label for this in the app.

Besides that it’s great information and definitely helps!

2 Likes

Two updates to the app have passed by. I haven’t seen an update to the error message.

It still leaves the user not sure what the problem is. To understand this Freetrade needs to put itself in the shoes of the user. When confronted with this error message the user doesn’t understand that there is no problem with her connectivity or app.

2 Likes

Hey @bitflip unfortunately I was a bit too eager and the error messages hadn’t yet been updated in the app, which is why nothing has changed on your end.

You can expect to see this towards the end of next week in your app (you may need to manually update your app via the app store rather than waiting on the automatic update from Apple). If you do notice more of these errors after, please let me know and tell me which stocks.

2 Likes

Brilliant! Thank you @Rafael. One thing I know for sure is that you personally and the product and engineering teams are very eager to do the right thing as quickly as possible. Thanks again. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi everyone :wave:

The latest stock fundamental for Standard and Plus members has just dropped: earnings per share (EPS) estimates.

With this feature, you can see analysts’ previous EPS estimates plotted against actual figures and projections for the next two quarters.

You know the drill - we’ll gradually roll this feature out to Standard and Plus members on iOS over the next week, with Android to follow. iOS users can download the update directly from the App Store.

We’ve loved hearing your feedback across all these stock fundamentals releases, so please keep it coming!

Not a Standard or Plus member yet? See how our plans compare. Upgrade to access dividend events, price targets, analyst ratings, our full range of stocks, interest on cash balances and more.

The more you know :bulb:

EPS stands for earnings per share. It shows the company’s net profit divided by the number of shares it has issued. It represents how much money a company has made for each share of its stock.

It helps put a company’s earnings into perspective and, like other fundamentals, is most valuable when it’s compared against competitors within the same industry. Analysts try to model a company’s future EPS estimates to help get a feel of a firm’s growth.

When you invest your capital is at risk, the value of your investments can go down as well as up and you may get back less than what you invest.

33 Likes

@Rafael i see it is fine now - the user now clearly understands there is no problem with her set up. Thanks for making this happen!

1 Like

I’ve noticed that ETFs that are distributing don’t have a mention of dividends, could this be added?

Some small dividends could really do with an extra decimal place or two when showing the dividend otherwise in some cases it can show zero when there is an actual dividend.

1 Like