MEGATHREAD: Stock fundamentals 📊

Hi everyone :wave:

From today, Plus members will see analyst ratings on their app :chart_with_upwards_trend:

We are gradually rolling out this feature to Plus members over the next week. Those using iOS can download the update directly from the app store.

This is the first in a series of major improvements to stock fundamentals, giving you more information on your app to help with your research. Ultimately, we want to provide everyone with a single platform for research and execution.

In the coming months, you’ll see new metrics and more in-depth analysis. For Plus members, this will include the likes of:

• Company financials
  • Forecasts for earnings per share (EPS) and share price
  • Key ratios, such as price-to-book (P/B) and price/earnings-to-growth (PEG)

We’ve also brought on a new data vendor to give you access to a greater breadth of information.

We want to work closely with you to shape stock fundamentals and the way you research your next trades. So reply below to let us know what you think and keep an eye on this thread for what’s coming next.

Not a Plus member yet? Upgrade now to see analyst ratings and other metrics we’ll be rolling out over the coming months. We’re also exploring ways to bring stock fundamentals to more subscribers in future.

When you invest your capital is at risk, the value of your investments can go down as well as up and you may get back less than what you invest. Make sure you do your own research on what investments are right for you before investing or consider seeking expert advice.

52 Likes

Hi @waszko

This is a great step, I’ve just updated the app but I’m not one of the lucky few yet.

Can I ask if Freetrade are planning any education around these new metrics? I appreciate you’ll need the required caveats DYOR etc but a link to invest hub or ideally a dedicated thread here in the community would be very helpful.

5 Likes

@waszko I’ve updated the app and then when I opened it I could see the analyst ratings but they then disappear, only showing for seconds. I have to go out the app and back in each time for them to show and then they disappear. Not sure the update has worked properly? I’m an iPhone user.

1 Like

So, this is only for Plus members, and won’t be propogated to us hoi polloi?

Hi @NeilB!

Yep we agree it’s very important to educate our users on what these fundamentals mean, how they can be used as part of your analysis, and also what to watch out for when using them.

Each piece of data that we add to the app will be accompanied by an :information_source: icon giving this info, and we’ve just published a web article that explains analyst ratings in more detail: Analyst ratings: how to use them

4 Likes

Hi @tbutz, analyst ratings are being released only to Plus members, but we’ve already got in the works an upgrade to the key stats fundamentals that will be available to all users

5 Likes

I hope many retail investors don’t put a lot of weight on analyst ratings. They often are working on behalf of their institutional interests. Many downgrade stocks AFTER the stock has fallen in share price and raise their forecasts AFTER any good news

5 Likes

Analysts section appears on some stocks (not all), they then disappear and only return if I close the app and relaunch ?

2 Likes

Same issue I had, think they are looking at it.

1 Like

Hi @Emmie @Pazza we were having some load issues, the team has just rolled out a fix so all should be running smoothly now!

1 Like

Working fine now, thanks for sorting that out so quickly.

3 Likes

I’ve got it now. Looks nice, I like how its been simplified.

Are there thresholds in place to filter for minimum number of analysts or age of the reports?

2 Likes

No update available on my Apple store. I’m on iPadOS 15.5, and iOS 15.5 on the phone.

Great feature :fire: I was just using this for Arrival!

I tend to visit Marketwatch, Yahoo Finance etc to check analyst ratings (Buy, Hold, Sell) so it was good to see that I can now avoid app switching, better as more metrics are rolled out in time.

Plus I liked seeing the term “favourable” being used as to avoid any implication of financial advice :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It wasn’t in my update section, I went into the App Store then clicked on the Freetrade app in my apps section, then it gave the option of an update. Wasn’t showing any other way.

1 Like

That worked!

Thanks @Emmie

1 Like

We don’t currently have any such filters in place, but we do display in the UI the number of reports received for you to check.

We’d love your feedback on this though: would you find it more helpful to have this data filtered more, so that we show fewer instruments with analyst ratings (or other fundamentals), but when we do show them you know the data is more reliable?

3 Likes

This is a pretty nifty feature. It would be nice if it displayed average price targets too.

That said, I don’t pay much attention to analyst ratings. I also tend to use FT as an execution-only broker, preferring to get my information and data from elsewhere, so it won’t add much value for me.

For me it comes down the relevance. As was mentioned further up thread an individual analyst report should be treated with a fair amount of caution, they could as easily be talking their own previous recommendation as burying a company to support another. This is why like your approach to broadly group the sentiment and not to include price targets.

The insight therefore comes from the wisdom of (a selected) crowd. I don’t know what the minimum number of analyst cover a particular stock that would be, I’m sure you can see the distribution from the data provider, but there is large quality difference in these two stocks.

The same filter would probably pick up analyst reports that are older than XX period. In some cases a report could be out of date within hours / days or writing however this is uncommon. In nearly all cases a report that is 3 months old is out of date.

4 Likes