Monzo Crowdfunding 2018

Only if you have access to insider information ā€¦

But if you spot something off your own back then fire away :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Been confirmed that you need to have signed up prior to today to be eligible to invest

1 Like

I absolutely love how Monzo are going about this, and I think offering it in-app is a touch of genius which could be a bit of a gamechanger (maybe being a little unfair to Brewdog who let you buy shares in their bars)

I now hold crowd-funded shares in 4 companies and thereā€™s something about it that makes an instant evangelist out of you. Iā€™m not exactly sure why, Iā€™m guessing in part I believed in all 4 from the start, but owning even a small part just gives you this will to see those companies succeed.

I now only sell gig tickets on Twickets, always get excited when I see Fivepoints on at a bar and, well Freetrade and Monzo I never stop telling people aboutā€¦

Monzoā€™s about to give (tens of) thousands of people that feeling, create an army of company advocates and massively increase the banksā€™ exposure with news articles etc. Oh and theyā€™re going to get Ā£20m for it too!

Very, very cool. Canā€™t wait for FTā€™s turn :blush:

16 Likes

Is it going to be possible to invest In the monzo round CIA the Crowdcube app, or only through the Monzo app?

1 Like

Only in the Monzo app. Theoretically if itā€™s not fully funded it goes to crowdcube but I think thatā€™ll be for the VC not ordinary investors

1 Like

Iā€™m not a user or investor in Monzo, but does anyone know why they are having another crowdfunding round? I read that theyā€™ve raised significant amounts from venture capitalists, so whatā€™s the advantage of going the crowd funding route through existing users?

My initial thought is that theyā€™re trying to ā€˜lockā€™ people into their product, competition is likely to get fiercer as the major banks wake up and start investing in their digital services, plus thereā€™s more and more challenger banks appearing. If a user ā€˜ownsā€™ part of Monzo, I feel theyā€™re more likely not to switch away (think sunk cost falicy), even if other services are better or are more attractive.

I know that Monzo lost about Ā£30m last year, and people arenā€™t expecting them to be profitable for another few years, so perhaps this Ā£20m round is just to provide a bit more liquidity? I donā€™t know, but would be interested in hearing other peopleā€™s thoughts!

To reward the people who use them and want to invest in them. So many want to invest and they have huge growth plans. Doubt it will make anyone feel tied in, I bought shares in Barclays and my brand loyalty didnā€™t increase.

3 Likes

Thanks for the picture, really interesting to see the breakdown! Is there any explanation behind the 4% expenses? I know that Crowdcube is about 8%, so thatā€™s a decent saving in itself!

Itā€™s all being done in app with money available in the account so thereā€™s no card fees to consider. Havenā€™t seen any explanation but thatā€™s the best idea Iā€™ve come up with

Most of it is probably due to Stripe fees.

1 Like

No 1.5% fee for the investor :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This oneā€™s becoming table stakes. But theyā€™re behind by like 2yrs so I donā€™t think Monzo have too much to fear.

2 Likes

Theyā€™re playing catch up and introducing features that the neobanks have, while Monzo et al are still pushing forward with new things. Thereā€™s no innovation from the legacy banks.

The pots feature had been used by another bank before (Lloyds if I recall). They canā€™t call them Pots though because Monzo have trademarked it :grin:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s an obvious one by Lloyds

Lloyds has been innovating, they were the first to offer Save The ChangeĀ® from what I recall.

1 Like

Yeah, since 2013 if memory serves

1 Like

I think it was 2006 or 2007, it was long time ago

1 Like

Bloody hell, I obviously caught on a bit late

Round 1,2,3 investor in Monzo here - really impressed with everything that Monzo have done with our investments over the years and can only see this continuing so Iā€™ll be investing again in R4!

2 Likes

Are you fully loaded in all 3? I only ask (not being nosy) because that would put you in the region of about 3,400 shares for the princely sum of Ā£3,000.

This round if you fully load it will cost Ā£2,000 but give you less than 8% more shares. Im interested to know if you think increasing your stake by 66% is worth it for only 7ish% increase?

2 Likes