Monzo šŸ“± šŸ¦

Tough times ahead?? I donā€™t think so. Cruise control from here on in. Monzo are just going to grow and grow. There business banking is light years ahead of BOS and once they enter the US they will be far more profitable than both Starling and Revolut

You arenā€™t benchmarking against American competitors such as Chimeā€¦

These figures are out of date but you get the sentiment.

ā€¦ and if as you say ā€œitā€™s cruise controlā€ investors would have been piling in at the same valuation avoiding the most recent down round.

I too wish it was cruise control from here on inā€¦ but given the track record of U.K. companies successfully penetrating the US marketā€¦ I am not holding my breath.

7 Likes

Revolut is already fully launched in the USA, so theyā€™re ahead of monzo there. I would bet my hat monzo wonā€™t fully launch in the USA in 2020 as they need to cut costs in the UK as much as possible.

Revolut is currently signing up 30,000 users a day, so 900,000 new customers a month!! They seem to be aiming to be the Amazon of fintech.

monzo is on its last legs imo. Starling and Revolut are aiming for profitability by the end of this year while monzo is blaming covid and everything else for their Ā£114 million in losses. monzo makes excuses while Starling bank and Revolut take action. I donā€™t see investors pumping more money into monzo once all their competitors are profitable.

The monzo glassdoor reviews, bbc watchdog report, Ā£114 million in losses etc. etc. I know thereā€™s some monzo fans who wonā€™t be able to accept how bad things are going for monzo, but if you look at things objectiviely, I donā€™t see why someone would deposit their salary.

The fact that they excluded salaried users and daily active users from their annual report shows just how bad things must be.

7 Likes

Dustin everything you comment on seems to be anti- monzo . I honestly canā€™t take your opinion regarding Monzo with anything but a pinch of salt. I absolutely guarantee in 3-5 years Monzo will be in a better position than both Revolut(you canā€™t believe anything about them) and Starling(who have punched way above there weight)

1 Like

Likewise Brian you are a bit team Monzo. We are just trying to have a discussion / debate, and it would helpful to present facts with your opinions other than ā€œI guarantee Monzo will smash it out of the parkā€ā€¦

None of us can be sure what will happen, but itā€™s fair to say Monzoā€™s execution to date doesnā€™t suggest it will ā€œsmash it out of the parkā€.

I like you hope that Monzo can pull things together, but institutional investors will not have the appetite to indefinitely fund a loss making business, particularly if their competitors are demonstrating stronger fundamentals.

7 Likes

People need to remember that Revolut arenā€™t a fully fledged bank like Starling and Monzo.

ā€œTeam Monzoā€ I believe n the monzo product,if thatā€™s what you mean. Iā€™m perfectly entitled to my opinion and you are also entitled to yours. Despite the fact my message was nothing to do with you for some reason you have chosen to put your tuppence in. Let just wait and see who is right and who is wrong if itā€™s so important to you Here is a quote of yours ā€œ Personally I think we will see another heavy discount in valuation.ā€ :roll_eyes:

Iā€™m an enormous Monzo fan and investor but they took a 40% hit on valuation on their last fundraise just a couple of months ago. Think we need to be realistic here. It wouldnā€™t even be going from ā€˜strength to strengthā€™ at this point, more ā€˜weakened to strengtheningā€™ as a next step.

1 Like

ā€œI thinkā€ vs ā€œI absolutely guaranteeā€ :joy:

I am happy to be proven wrongā€¦ I just donā€™t state my opinions like they are fact.

6 Likes

Good doc to go through

1 Like

Revolutā€™s losses are over Ā£106 million. Thatā€™s not at all far off Monzoā€™s losses, and itā€™s also a tripling of their losses year-on-year whereas Monzoā€™s have just doubled. Odd that one number means doom and gloom while the other number isnā€™t of concern to you. :thinking:

6 Likes

Well this is easy to explain! Itā€™s doom and gloom for monzo because they really struggle to make money, have a much smaller war chest while revolut is printing money and raised over $580 million since February.

• monzo has also stagnated growth, while Revolut is growing 30,000 accounts a day.
  • monzo didnā€™t report their daily active users in their annual report while Revolut increased their daily active users by 231%.

> Revolut lost less money than Monzo while making nearly $100 million more in revenue than monzo last year.
The above sentence pretty much sums up why Revolut will be fine and monzo will be monz-who within a year

Monzo revenue: Ā£67.2m
Revoluts revenue: Ā£162.7m

6 Likes

True story

Revolut are evidently ahead I still think tho that lo my term both Revolut and Monzo will be fine. Itā€™s just a shame that Monzo didnā€™t raise larger rounds similar to Revolut they seem to always do no more than Ā£100m at a time

1 Like

Are you a Revolut user? What does it offer for a general banking user (like me) that Monzo doesnā€™t?

Iā€™ve been with Monzo for years, love the app, simplicity, pots, roundups etc (stuff I know legacy banks are now introducing), but curious to know what Revolut does/offers that makes it better than Monzo (other than financials)

Not sure if Dustin is in someway employed by Revolut to advertise here or simply trolling the forum but my God itā€™s getting tiresome now. Pretty much entire activity is in Monzo or Revolut topics. Give it a rest man.

17 Likes

This person has multiple accounts and usernames across the various FinTech forums. You can tell itā€™s the same person due to the writing and quite often the topics are copy and pasted.

2 Likes

It has stock trading of shares fee free (and 0% forex) - currently only USA shares though.
Can store money in pretty much any currency or as gold/silver if you wish.
You can have Junior accounts for any children over 7.
All the round up stuff and vaults they have (I believe they did these before Monzo)
Charity donations.
You can do bill splitting which is great if a group goes on holiday (not sure if Monzo have that, they probably do).
Obviously has all the analytics stuff and can show balances on credit cards and bank accounts etc.

Does Monzo offer anything Revolut doesnā€™t?

1 Like

I personally use both Revolut and Monzo and love their offerings.
But Revolut trading is not free. You pay 0.01% custodian fee and the basic account gives you only 3 free trades a month before paying Ā£1.
Monzo does offer splitting as well and plus gives you openbanking. They offer loans and savings products as classic banking products.

I donā€™t think that they should be compared that closely at all since Revolut is not a bank. Itā€™s a payment facilitator and should have a totally different business model. If two companies should be compared it s monzo and starling, where starling seems to have a profitability and functionality upper hand.

Itā€™s 0,5% forex commission after converting more than Ā£1000 per month