More of the same, or something new?

My toe is firmly in the water now, and it’s fun! My long term plan is to invest around £50 each month.
My question is now I have a portfolio with a small but nice spread of companies, when next payday comes, do I increase my shares in those I already have, or do I go for something new?

2 Likes

What do you have in your portfolio already? :blush:

I have…
V FTSE 100 etf
Some Aberdeen - used to be standard life
iShares dividend etf
Right move
Green coat
B&M
AO
Countryside construction - that was my freebie
Bytes tech

Mostly cheap ones so I could learn how it all worked. Some are dipping, some are ok. Most are a single share,apart from Aberdeen and Green coat.

1 Like

Iv grown my pots for a few specific ones, and keep adding to them. Initially I bought all sorts of all sorts. But I have found it easier to read up on a few companies rather than a lot of companies. I probably have about 5 companies now that I am building up each week now.

2 Likes

Firstly, well done on getting your toe wet! :slight_smile:

One thing to consider is whether at some point you will get an ISA with Freetrade.

This might not be worth it right now for a small investor as the ISA fee is £3 a month but as your portfolio gets bigger and you want it to be an ISA, be mindful that investments in the GIA cannot be transferred direct into the ISA - you have to sell all the investments, then Freetrade transfers the money to the ISA and you have to buy those investments back again.

You’ve got 9 different investments right now which won’t be too difficult to manage but it might be harder if you had a lot more?

1 Like

Looking into the S&S ISA is in my plan, but when I get a reasonably steady growth showing. Doesn’t seem worth while just yet.
Agreed with the smaller numbers and keeping track!

Hi @SB426 Sarah

I started out a little gung ho crazy and bought so many shares I literally lost track of what I was doing. I’ve now started to refine my portfolio down to a more manageable size split between a few ETF’s and then some individual companies I like. Still got some way to go to refine down further.

I too add in a monthly amount to build up my investments, keeping some cash back in case a ‘buy the dip’ opportunity comes up.

2 Likes

I think there is a real danger of having so many single shares, just to see how they do, that it could be too much. My thinking at the moment is to stick with a few, maybe up to 10, in the GIA and see how it goes. Then when my portfolio feels a bit more stable, and I’m a bit more confident, then look into the S&S ISA.
I can have both, right? So I can leave this lot in the GIA, and almost start again with the ISA, with new stocks, or more shares in my favourites?

3 Likes

Yes, you can have both GIA and ISA.

I too am modestly investing every month every month as a fun alternative to zero percent savings. It will never give me enough to retire on, but I invest in a pension and a shares ISA to do that. I invest a little bit more, although not much more, and also subscribe to the Motley Fool share advisor subscription. By November I will have got to shares in 20 good UK companies companies (mainly FTSE top 200), to diversify, and will look to hold for about 5 years. I would say two thirds are up and one third are down, but as I am not selling for 5 years this is ok with me. After November I will top up every month with about £50 plus any of the very modest dividends that pay out. That means I keep the excitement of investing (not betting), only invest what I can afford to lose and hopefully by 2025 have an account that beats an ordinary savings account. That’s my idea any way. Good luck.

7 Likes

Almost exactly my plan! Good luck.

1 Like

Hi DahCardiff, may I ask how you’re finding Motley Fool? I’ve been tempted as I’m very new to shares (apart from a failed Northern Rock effort :see_no_evil:) so keen to learn. Thanks in advance

Hi Craig, on a personal level I have found their share advisor subscription really good. It is a subscription service, discounted for the first year. About £99. But it recommends (giving reasons for and possible against) shares monthly, most of which are available on free trade. I would definitely read up on the principles behind the service ie long term investing and see if it’s right for you, :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for this, always good to get a personal opinion rather than just all the sales hype

1 Like

Broadly speaking Motley Fool don’t have a great reputation around these parts. Stock picking is incredibly difficult and that’s why picking one or two companies to beat the market is really hard.

If you’re nee to this investing lark then building a nice foundation of ETF’s means you’re investing in lots of companies and spreading your risk out. Once you’ve done this picking a few companies you like and think will put preform the market is much less risky because you’re only playing with 10/20% of your money.

Warren Buffett, you know the investing god, famously made a bet with an active investor that passive fund would beat stock picking over the longer term. I won’t spoil the result but I’m posting it for a reason.

2 Likes

This is a great story but my worry is a lot of people started investing during the lockdown which was a once in several lifetimes event. They bought at the bottom of the falls and made huge gains so think this is standard. When they look at WB they think his returns are not great as they made XX% in the last year.

Everyone likes to think they know the market better but in reality they mostly don’t but started at the best possible time in history. I think a lot of peoples portfolios will struggle to match the last 18months performance and that will create a lot of disappointment.

Regarding MF it feels like they always have an agenda to me when talking about stocks. I’ve read a fair amount but it always tries to make you pay with insider info tips etc which screams it is BS to me :joy:

1 Like