Review of Freetrade for Android šŸ˜Ž (Feedback & Testing)

Iā€™m thinking the same. Been at position zero - the front of the queue - for as long as I can rememberā€¦:man_white_haired:

Ha, okay. Sounds good.

Got access today sign up quick and easy top up was cleared within a hour and all basic trades where successful so very happy with the app so far

2 Likes

We will be adding some more beta testers this week!

2 Likes

I received the email granting access - great looking interface on first try. Will be topping up, discovering & buying asap.

5 Likes

My first 24 hours on the Android app.

Got the email yesterday.

Set up the account this morning. Easy and painless.

Top up the account. Funds arrived within 1 hour.

Tried to place Instant orders. Failed several times, possibly because I didnā€™t bid enough.

Placed Basic end of the day orders. Failed, possibly due to the same reason.

Successfully placed Instant orders after 4 pm.

Filed W-8 form. Stumble upon it by accident and took the chance.

Had a few doubts. Contacted support. Very prompt and helpful service.

I think thereā€™s room for improvement in some ways, which have already been identified by iOS users so no need to repeat.

Overall good, functional MVP in Beta stage.

:+1:

Edit: Ā£0.03 (3 pence) unrealized gains to date :chart:

9 Likes

okay for some reason I presume of being still beta stage, but for me was the opposite I did managed to place a basic order. However after the market closes I cant place anything. Clicking on the amount ā€” keyboard shows up and nothing. Clicking on the numbers does not change the amount in the app.

Be best reporting that in the in app chat

sure will do :slight_smile:

Initial thoughts:

• For an early/beta release, this is really, really good, and a great foundation to build on :smiley:
  • Authentication process was really smooth for me, which was great (quicker than I expected too when comparing to Monzoā€™s or Starlingā€™s for example!)
  • I might be pretty impatient, but getting funds into accounts quicker would be invaluable - though I imagine this is a current limitation and something that can be improved on in future
  • The stock purchase screen could use some more ā€˜training wheelsā€™ (not sure the best way of describing it) when it comes to indicating insufficient funds for a transaction, order type (e.g. defaults), and selecting volume of shares as opposed to Ā£ as an alternative for input
  • The discover screen could definitely be an area for improvement - stocks have great details and descriptions once on the stock page, but at the moment itā€™s a long list - e.g. filtering/distinguishing between US/UK stocks, ETFs, etc would be amazing

I did encounter some weirdness where I thought I selected a sufficient amount to purchase something but it wasnā€™t updating the no. of shares amount, but Iā€™ve not been able to replicate it since (I left the page then came back and itā€™s been fine since). Nothing though that breaks the user experience though so far hence why I havenā€™t needed to contact support so far.

On the whole - an amazing start (hope my comments above are okay :sweat_smile: ) , and look forward to seeing everything thatā€™s in the pipeline!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for this feedback :pray:

Weā€™re definitely on the same page when it comes to the improvements that we should be making to the app. Youā€™ll start to see some of those being made within the next few months, along with the other things thatā€™re on the roadmap.

If you do manage to replicate that strange behaviour when you were placing an order then please do send over the details via the live chat in the app.

Keep the feedback coming :smile:

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Android version incompatible with my device?

Just placed my first queued orders with relative ease. They show in my portfolio and look quite classy. One thing thatā€™s missing for me though it the stock ticker symbol. I see the icon and name but without the ticker symbol itā€™s hard to differentiate between instruments that have the same description such as VMID and MIDD - both are named ā€œmid size UK companiesā€ ā€¦ I would like to be absolutely certain what stock it relates to ā€¦

I think the portfolio screen could be reworked a bit.
If the total funds slid to the top next to ā€™ portfolioā€™.
The chart could do with a time axis.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using the android app since the weekend and am very happy with it so far.

The overall experience is very slick, and I havenā€™t encountered a single bug. Itā€™s clean, intuitive, and straightforward.

I sent a bank transfer on Sunday night and it was credited first thing the next morning.

Iā€™ve placed a few orders without any issues. My first was an instant order. More than happy to pay Ā£1 for this. I then placed a free order, which went through perfectly at the end of the day.

Today Iā€™ve placed a US order which went through at market open. The W-8BEN form only took a few seconds to fill out.

Iā€™d like to see a bit more information on the stocks. The price chart is good, but some links to deeper information would be good to have. Hargreaves Landsdownā€™s app for comparison does have statistics and links to financial reports for each company. Hopefully this is something that gets added over time.

Congratulations to everyone that has worked on getting the app to this point.

14 Likes

Thanks for this feedback :pray: weā€™ll look into how we can improve this.

This is good to know and an an area we are working on! Thanks for your feedback :grinning:

Not sure I agree about the default being ā€œinstant orderā€.
If you want to place an order straight away and get the current price then having to change from the basic (delayed) order risks missing the price.
Maybe the option to set your default order option to either basic or instant would be the solution though.

1 Like

Ok. Here goes my comments:
Good points:
A) Sign up was breeze. My purple screen was only few seconds and overall it took 3-4 mins to complete set up. Sometime for money to appear after I made the payment from my bank.
B) UI is clean clutter free.
C) I did not observe bugs on clicks so far given the minimalistic design. These would have tested to infinity anyway / everyday via API and UI automation.
D) Managed to place my first order. Did not have option of choosing instant order esp given I placed order in after markets.

Points to improve:

A) Charts can be interactive showing dates and prices on clicking on graph
B) Dashboard like feature a) default sectorwise e.g. Mining, FMCG, Pharma b) countrywise (UK, US) etc will be useful for those eho wants to activate that feature
C) Direct debit from website without necessarily going to my bankā€™s login and transferring to freetrade i.e. pull vs push payments
D) Marketing on Reuters, flyers in city, canary wharf and perhaps once on FT or Evening Standard
E) Information on trade volumes and open, close interest positions if available from exchange at end of day
F) Stop-Loss, Automatic sale above certain price
G) Transfer of portfolio from other platforms
H) ISA, Fund options
Overall 4.5 / 5, 5/5 on effort and ease of use.

Excellent effort and keep improving. I am starting to invest using this platform going forward rather than paying hefty 12.50 to HL for the same.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve had no issues setting up and using the app.
It obviously needs tweaking, but Iā€™ m sure Freetrade will add all the bells and whistles over the next few weeks.
Congrats to all the staff and users who have helped the Android version launch successfully.

2 Likes