Robinhood Discussion đŸč

Why do you think RH is closer to FT than T212 is? Just because of their CFD part?

1 Like

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/robinhood-markets-close-to-raising-250-million-dollars-at-8-billion-valuation

The new investment round would be led by venture-capital titan Sequoia Capital, the sources said. They also noted that a final deal hasn’t been reached and may not happen.

"We’re simultaneously working to reduce the interdependencies in our overall infrastructure. We’re also investing in additional redundancies in our infrastructure.”

The market turmoil has certainly been good for Robinhood’s top line, with revenue totaling $60 million in March, about triple the figure from a year earlier, one of Bloomberg’s sources said.

2 Likes

Yup, they’re fine.

Do you think it will happen? Sounds like the outbreak has been good for financial firms. Even Freetrade seems to have lots of new users!

Does it work the same for fund raising?

I signed up for the wait list but nothing happened. Glad we already have Freetrade!

The forum seems rather blinkered about Trading212 - personally I use both, and while I have a lot of loyalty to Freetrade as I started with them first, and have my ISA with them, its rather obvious that Freetrade have a LOT of catching up to do with T212 not the other way around.

3 Likes

Rather wary than blinkered.

We know FT is building a sustainable business, while 212 is on top of a legacy provider.

They are doing a bait and switch, heavily targeting FT users (I can’t open a Youtube video without a 212 ad). It’s been discussed several times before that they’re using a strategy to lure new investors into CFDs, as has been said so by the CEO.

Which provider do you prefer to have your hard-earned money at?

Fair points - also why my money is with Freetrade ISA rather then Trading212 currently - I have a basic account with both companies, but ISA with Freetrade only. Also the same points I make when people ask me to recommend one over the other.

Probably a poor choice of words on my part - what I meant is that a lot of the forum base think Freetrade are offering a much superior service, and that Trading212 are trying to catch up, which from my experience of both apps isn’t quite the case. (Obviously just my opinion not facts) Absolutely agree with you that FT are more upfront about where/how they make their money. Trading212 absolutely want their customers to invest in CFDs where most retail investors lose money. I do wonder if long term they will switch to charging for ISAs too.

1 Like

To balance this out a little, if users have an app that gets the job done (e.g. ZOOM) they don’t have to worry about the internals.

2 Likes

It doesn’t have to be black and white all the time, especially in brokerage industry where no one takes all. Consumers can choose multiple service providers. So I won’t shoot down any provider; having a balanced approach makes more sense to me. Perhaps I am not a Freetrade investor, so I don’t have vested interest to having have to back it as my one and only one broker. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

That’s true for most use cases, probably not for holding thousands of your hard-earned £.

But thanks for the thought, it’s an important one.

1 Like

Sometimes a good strategy too if you have a large investment portfolio to protect the most money possible in-case of provider failure.

2 Likes

Check out that pink background on the art they created. I’d say their designer spent time on the Freetrade blog :laughing:

11 Likes

First BUX, now RH. Everyone loves Freedom Pink, what can you do? :man_shrugging: :freetrade:

20 Likes

A lot of the US YouTube community say they don’t use Robinhood because they do not offer tax protected accounts in the US. I cannot understand why you wouldn’t offer this to long term investors ?

1 Like

Robinhood are not worth talking about anymore. Lots of US users have jumped ship. Their brand is useless in the UK without isa accounts offered. Not a threat at all to freetrade.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t under estimate that beast with more than million users in USA and it has big war chest and more experience in turbulent times.

7 Likes

I agree with @fte

While I obviously gun for :freetrade: , it’s wildly imprudent to dismiss or underestimate a competitor like Robinhood given the resources they have, and they haven’t even launched yet.

Having said that, I do have faith that Freetrade team are wily enough to facedown such challenges, and that’s where the community and other users can really come into play, we have to keep getting the message out there that this is the challenger platform.

3 Likes

An article in the FT this morning takes a critical view on Robinhood with the title: ’ ‘Gamified’ investing leaves millennials playing with fire: Slick stock-trading apps skip over the risks for inexperienced investors’ , in relation to it offering investments not suitable for retail investors. It relates to the USO Oil ETF, where inexperienced investors tried to time the bottom only for the WTI price going into negative territory.

Very happy with the business philosophy underpinning Freetrade compared to the competitors (Trading212 and potentially Robinhood), where I do not see anything like this as a risk.

1 Like

2 Likes