Rolls-Royce - RR - Share Chat

The vast majority of ex dates for UK are Thursdays

Yeah, I came to realise that recently.

Iā€™m too old to care about what a share value will be in 30 years time; Iā€™ll be dead by then, so technically it has no value to me. Whereas a ready stream of dividend income now funds a night on the town or whatever else us old people do. ā€¦but not Bingo.

2 Likes

Maybe it is the 60% drop since covid that could come back to normal in next couple years across the RR business which looks strong.

Remember that it has diluted by 50% so itā€™s not that far from normal already.

Like many other COVID ā€˜recoveryā€™ stocks the share price only tells half the story.

2 Likes

For me the big opportunities for RR are return of air travel and more specifically return of aircraft ordering but perhaps the bigger opportunity is small modular nuclear reactors for civil nuclear power (a simplified version of their PWRs in submarines using less enriched fuel might do it).

2 Likes

Does anyone get the feeling that if this were such a British :uk: institution theyā€™d be under more pressure to spin off / break up the business?

1 Like

A certain air force from the continent couldnā€™t stop them 80 years ago, thereā€™s no way a politician or civil servant could get away with trying to now? That sort of line of thinking, albeit implicit rather than explicit?

If GE, GSK & J&J can feel the pressure to break up Rolls Royce should feel the same pressure. After all what have mini nuclear reactors for submarines got to do with aircraft engines & luxury cars?

1 Like

Cars is already Volkswagen group

1 Like

Itā€™s actually BMW.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t know that. I probably should have but I didnā€™t. Thanks @Henners21 & @SebReitz - thatā€™s does undermine my thinking about a break up / spin off somewhat!

Haha to quick for me to correct it got the country right at least! My excuse was I was thinking of Bentley

2 Likes

RR donā€™t make luxury cars.

An engine is an engine.

However on the comercial front worth noting that RR have already split of their SMR business into Rolls Royce SMR Ltd

3 Likes

Well done FT team! I am straight in with 34 shares as a starter.

Even though Russia has appropriated some aircraft, banning their enemies from their airspace will put considerably more hours on many flights, so those engines will require more parts and replacements.

Also agree with others regarding defence spending. It is going up rapidly across Europe, and the EU. Weā€™ll see what happens this with one.

4 Likes

I ride an RR all the time ;]]], 600RR babbbbby, yeah the company does sweet stuff.

1 Like

Glad that FT got this on the platform, think there is opportunity for growth here.

1 Like

Really good news that RR has made it on the platform. The underlying work means that the rest of the nationality declaration stocks will not be far off.

As for the actual company there is still a lot of debt, there has been dilution and air travel is starting to recover but still going to take a while to get to pre-pandemic levels.
Corrections have been made, the small scale nuclear reactors seems encouraging and there is still a lot of good engineers at the company so hopefully this will be a good sustained growth company and will gradually pay off debts and expand again in the future, either as a while company or splitting off some of the business areas as going concerns.

2 Likes

Must admit the civilian aerospace engines division of the company makes me wary. This in heavily dependent on civilian air travel, which in turn is dependent on no more lockdowns.

Itā€™s the same reason I donā€™t invest in airline stocks even though pre COVID I would have bought Southwest Airlines and maybe Delta as well.

Sure Rolls Royce have military divisions of the company which look promising from an investment perspective, I wonā€™t take that from them.

Also congrats to FreeTrade. No matter my appraisal of the company, itā€™s a win

3 Likes

Just a shame that FT didnā€™t have the stock at the back end of last year where I got the option of a preemption right on this stock via 2-1-2. I bought 500 shares at just 32p so based on that Iā€™m sure there will be growth :grin:

Though as previously said there is a lot of debt in the company

Rolls-Royce is one of the worldā€™s biggest aircraft engine manufacturers, but also makes power systems. With the majority of its revenue stemming from aircraft engines, I would have expected the Rolls-Royce share price to increase as global air travel resumes. However, its share price is still down 25% year to date (YTD). Hereā€™s why.

Disclaimer: I do not stand to profit in any way from sharing this article or the views I get. I am merely sharing this as an opinion to offer my insight to the stock whilst hoping to contribute to the discussion. These posts have been also been cleared by the mods.