Starling Card?

Yes ( but watch out for ATM charges ) If given an option always process the transaction in $ ( and not any Ā£ equivalent presented )

Yes but not a lot ( 0.5% ). I just transfer money in before going abroad.

1 Like

A decent interest earning savings account, P2P lending and why not some investment products like GIAā€™s & ISAā€™s.

1 Like

Starling is the best card for travelling or moving abroad. Revolut is the best account for currency conversions between countries in most situations

The rest of the time both accounts stay empty or close enough (Starling has like Ā£5)

1 Like

@cadiazm thank you! I have applied for my account and I can see there is the option to also open a Euro account. Do you know if the euro account is also protected by the fscs scheme?

@weenie thank you so much, thatā€™s very helpful! I have applied for my account and I can see there is the option to also open a Euro account. Do you know if the euro account is also protected by the fscs scheme?

I would guess that all their accounts would be protected under the FSCS but donā€™t take my word for it as I donā€™t have a euro account - better to just ask them direct!

1 Like

I have a euro account - itā€™s protected to the 85k overall Starling limit.

3 Likes

I use my starling account more and more these days.

In addition to the euro account (I just asked them about fscs protection, @Jim_mcgrain also just answered on that) , there also working on a US$ account as well. No timeline but Anne the ceo of starling tweeted a screen of it working. So thatā€™s coming sometimes soon.

I like their linked card implementation as well. Basically if you link your card to your EUR account, if you spend in euros it will take money from your euro account like a normal account.

As a current account, I like it. And I look forward to the US$ account as Iā€™ll likely be making use of that in the future.

Reply from starling

Ultimately I think a lot of people find themselves choosing between Starling, Monzo and Revolut. I have both the former ā€“ Monzo for daily spending and Starling for salary, mortgage, bills etc.

Theyā€™re both very similar in terms of UX, however I have found Monzo to get increasingly frustrating with how often it logs you out.

Starling is also better for frequent travellers as thereā€™s no cap on how much cash you can withdraw.

Revolut I avoid on moral grounds as theyā€™re a company totally empty of any ethics.

6 Likes

I am a monzo investor and monzo is my primary account. I have to say though, if I see a dollar account and a web access implementation from starling, thatā€™s it, Iā€™ve jumped ship.

4 Likes

Interesting. I havenā€™t been logged out of Monzo once in 1.5 years of using it.

5 Likes

Oh, I have to say Iā€™m surprised! Most people I know now have Monzo cards and it seems to be a common gripe. Same with some comments I see online.

Perhaps itā€™s because Iā€™m on iPhone and youā€™re on Android? (Massive assumption).

Suppose you must be a lucky one!

Yep, I am on android. No idea if that has something to do with it either :grinning:

This is true, but my lifetime value to them is negative, so it feels OK.

1 Like

:laughing: Iā€™m glad we got to the bottom of that one!

Keep on fighting the good fight my friend! haha

1 Like

Iā€™ve had both Staring and Monzo and prefer Monzoā€™s app/ use it as my daily spend account.

Staring is great though so donā€™t be worried about opening an account there.

2 Likes

Revolut might have bad morals but the functionality in app and currency conversion capabilities are pretty much unmatched.

I would just never do any big transactions through them.

For FX, Revolut are the best and unbeaten so far. Multicurrency accounts with interbank FX rates + any transaction, for which you do not have the required currency balance, is also executed as interbank FX. All financial markets people are on Revolut. Monzo and othersā€™ customers on FX are unsophisticated users who donā€™t fully understand how FX works and how their provider overcharges them relatively to Revolut.

Yeah, sure Revolut is convenient with regards to FX, but thatā€™s all. In theory, they also offer holding accounts for that currency. Do you trust them enough to hold anything in those accounts however?

As Iā€™ve said before multiple times, confidence and trust are make or break attributes of financial products/services.