The pace of Freetrade's development & the Investment Platform

Dozens, not a dozen. If you want to count them theyā€™re in this thread

2 Likes

Fair point, Iā€™m a cynical so-and-so! So we keep hearing: Iā€™m just frustrated by the snail-like pace of change, especially given that Freetradeā€™s a start-up. Perhaps time spent on this sort of gimmicky guff adds up? :slight_smile:

I stand corrected. Still, I think itā€™s a poor showing.

2 Likes

Suppose it depends what you want, half a dozen each week or thousands in a few months

The gimmicky guff will help users find stocks easier which will be really important when all the new ones are added

3 Likes

In the past few months weā€™ve launched:

• The Android app, which is very close to parity with the iOS app now, despite being delivered in about half the time that some other FinTech companies took to build theirs
  • Apple Pay topups
  • Filters in Discover
  • Portfolio graph timeframes

so in my biased opinion, I think weā€™re doing pretty well for a startup that has an engineering team of less than 20 developers.

Weā€™re also midway through building:

• Collections
  • Incentivised referrals
  • In-app education
  • Updating the Portfolio Graph to use a better rate of return calculation
  • A whole new tab in the app, to help you manage your portfolio better
  • An investment platform, which will enable us to add thousands more stocks, among other things

so we have plenty to keep us busy!

Not everything that we launch is going to make a huge difference for every customer. Weā€™ll build some things to improve customerā€™s on boarding experience & others to help first time investors, for example. But weā€™re doing our best to continually improve the app for everyone, while laying the groundwork thatā€™ll enable us to provide a wider range of services.

32 Likes

Any info on how the referrals will work?

1 Like

Not quite yet but I know that Viktorā€™s crafting a post at the moment, to share when we get closer to launching them.

Edit - hereā€™s the post - We'll start testing incentivised referrals (free shares!) within weeks šŸ‘Æ

1 Like

Did you think you could sneak that in without questions? :eyes:

11 Likes

Apologies for somewhat hijacking tā€™other thread and for being the resident argumentative tit! Iā€™m one of those people who can hardly resist making a counter argument!

3 Likes

No worries :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha hopefully weā€™ll have a sneak peek of that ready to share with you next week. We want to get your feedback early so that you can help shape the first version of the features.

6 Likes

See ā€“ there is a method to my madness: get 'em riled up enough to reveal forthcoming new features to slap down my argument! :grinning:

7 Likes

If youā€™d like to rile up the national lottery next I would be grateful. Might get this weekendā€™s numbers :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll see what I can do! :rofl: On a more serious note, I do think playing devilā€™s advocate gets a good conversation going. Half the time, Iā€™ll just take up an argument because nobody else has done so.

In fairness to Freetrade, the companyā€™s not done half bad getting to this stage in the time that is has and the ā€˜break stuffā€™ approach should be used with caution in the financial services industry!

4 Likes

Are you able to provide more info on what constitutes the new investment platform and how it will improve things both from perspective of users and Freetrade ie why it will allow you to greatly expand investment universe and reduce cost.

I feel like right now Iā€™m overly optimistic about an intangible magic platform since its put forward as the barrier to many requested ideas and it would be useful to reconcile this with whatā€™s actually coming up.

This is not at all a criticism I like what youā€™ve done this far

4 Likes

Sure, so Ian shared a brief summary of the sorts of thing the platform will enable here -

& we explained in more detail here -

We will grow our engineering team and enhance our platform.

This will allow us to speed up important features like fractional shares, a stock universe in the thousands and new account types. Itā€™ll support our upcoming analytics, which will give our customers unique ways to understand their portfolios and improve their performance all from the app.

If youā€™ve looked at our roadmap recently, youā€™ll also have noticed one prominent item is our own investment platform. This is a unique technological and operational project. It will bring a huge amount of the intricate, decentralised processes and data streams of stock market investing into one modern, in-house platform.

As well as aiding many of the features above, this will dramatically drive down our costs and give us way more adaptability and freedom as a business.

quote from the Freetrade is back on Crowdcube: 25th April blog post

The platform wonā€™t enable us to deliver absolutely everything that we want to as soon as itā€™s launched, after all itā€™s only a platform - we need to build on top of it. But it will enable us to do lots of things that would be far harder / take a lot longer, using the setup that we have now.

5 Likes

Indeed, youā€™ll have all the info by end of next week, @samlan. :wink:

10 Likes

There is an easy way to take the sting out of a conversation like this. Since most roads lead back to the investment platform, why not give a detailed update on what it is, what it does (more in-depth than above), and when we can roughly expect it?

3 Likes

I agree with the argument advanced by @Marsares and @astonelesschip. The investment platform comes across as a mystical ā€œmagic bulletā€ answer to everything (letā€™s hope it is:) and I donā€™t see the harm in providing further details to placate impatient sods like me! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Alex,

Iā€™ve got a basic question. You say youā€™re launching an investment platform, so what is the system called that Iā€™m currently using in the app to buy stocks and shares?

Does the current Freetrade app not fall under the technical definition of an investment platform?

Regards

2 Likes

:eyes:tell us more - sounds great