Trainline šŸš‚ - TRN

Sometimes Trainline charges me a fee and sometimes it doesnā€™t. Does anyone know if theyā€™re making money somehow when they donā€™t charge a fee?

1 Like

In-app advertisements

2 Likes

The new Loco2 Pricehack functionality is worth a look :

https://loco2.com/en/blog/pricehack-split-train-tickets

2 Likes

Ticket prices already include margin for the retailer. The fee is a bonus.

1 Like

doesnā€™t sound like anything new. exploiting the archaic pricing structures has been done for decades :slight_smile:

1 Like

the splitting of tickets has been tried and failed several times before.

To make it work you are looking at non flexible cheaper tickets which require seat reservations. Gets messy and its not cost-effective for the platform to do. Hey can you change carriages several times to save Ā£20 on your 2 hour journey?

Also the TOCā€™s announced a couple of years ago a drive to move to airline-style tickets. (which will require seat allocation, and will probably fail due to over crowded trains)

1 Like

Ha, well I get Iā€™m cheap then

Quite a lot of misunderstandings in this post.

Split-ticketing hasnā€™t failed before. Indeed, there are many sites dedicated to creating split-ticket itineraries for passengers; or you could do it yourself via your ticket retailer of choice e.g. VTWC or LNER.

The splitting of tickets is a long established practice, protected by the National Conditions of Carriage. You do not need to use Advance tickets on a split-ticket journey. You can use flexible off-peak, or in some cases anytime, fares and still make a saving over the through ticket.

Moreover, switching seats is not necessary at all. One, you do not have to make a seat reservation, two even if you did have a seat reservation you do not have to sit in it. If you wish, you could contact the TOC prior to your journey and reserve a seat for the length of your journey. Or you could simply sit in an unreserved seat.

1 Like

I meant itā€™s failed with several platforms trying to make it cost effective for them to offer it to customers. Itā€™s not cost effective.

As for the traveller - yeah empty train itā€™s fine, sit where you want. Packed over crowded train due to cancellationsā€¦ nah.

Anyway what do I know just worked on a rail platform for a few years :joy:

1 Like

Really donā€™t know what you are on about tbh. There are numerous sites dedicated to or offering split-ticketing; Trainsplit, Raileasy, Loco2 to name a few.

Yeah they are not the main rail platforms like Trainline. Thatā€™s my point but we can agree to disagree.

First time Train line user.

My train was delayed today due to power outage, my tickets became eligible for refunds with a click of a button.

Thereā€™s an admin fee that I would gladly pay. Canā€™t be asked chasing the trainā€™s customer support.

1 Like

TrainPal is a good one. Easy to do and no booking fees either

Thanks for this. Split ticket function just saved me Ā£35 on price I was quoted with Trainline :+1:

1 Like

On the split tickets I got a return to Preston from London for Ā£27. Trainline was saying Ā£85

Always the worry with this business.

2 Likes

Positive news for trainline:
After a review by the rail industry, Trainline and other ticket sellers said they would cut commission rates by 0.5% to 4.5% but offsetting this, industry costs will fall by 0.25% meaning an overall reduction in Trainlineā€™s take of 0.25%.