Vanguard S&P 500 ETF - VUSA

Good question, the short answer is yes.

The only way around this would be to explore equal weighting - this is where the ETF track each stock with the same % of funds.

Equal weighting would shrink the effect of Apple has on the ETF but would promote the smaller cap stocks.

You could broaden your search to the less popular but bigger and more diversified VNRT

2 Likes

I take it the after hours/overnight spike will be missed by the ETF as it’ll start tracking the move from 8am?

1 Like

It would be nice if that was the case but unfortunately not as it’ll be priced in.

It catches up

Anyone else struggling to buy s&p500!? Keeps rejecting 3 days in a row

I bought some Monday no issues

Just had a notification email about receiving vusa dividend payment. The divi payment shows in my activity feed but my cash balance remains unchanged. Anyone else had this happen? Is this normal?
If the payment has not happened why does the activity show a payment?
Thanks.

Particularly with UK dividend payments I find that the cash is allocated before the email and notification, so you may find the dividend payment hit your account earlier today or even yesterday and the notification and email have come through later.

2 Likes

Thanks Scott. I’ve just totted up my account and yes you were right, I have had the payment sometime earlier today.
I didn’t notice it hit my account earlier today. I must pay more attention… lol.
Thanks…panic over :grin:

1 Like

I created a simple Investment Portfolio for my Wife & was just wondering if VUSA was a subset of VHYL - Anyone know how to find this information out?

No, not a subset. The selection criteria for the companies included in the two funds are quite different. VUSA includes all of the stocks in the S&P 500 list, which includes large US companies selected by a committee at S&P using various criteria to include what they call “leading companies in leading industries”. VHYL includes 1500 stocks from around the world which are chosen for paying above-average dividends. You can see the exact list of what’s included in each fund if you go to Vanguard’s website:

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-s-and-p-500-ucits-etf-usd-distributing/portfolio-data

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-ftse-all-world-high-dividend-yield-ucits-etf-usd-distributing

3 Likes

Thanks - Yh my Wife mainly wanted to focus on Dividend for some reason. Thanks for the info

Anyone know what’s with the crazy sudden movement in share prices today?

Must of been a short circuit somewhere as alot of my holdings crashed then rose, then leveled back to original standing.

US rate of inflation not as high as expected. I think that’s why everything went up

1 Like

“Historically, the S&P has a tendency to find a bottom before a recession and when earnings estimates decline. Additionally, inflation seems to have peaked. The last four Consumer Price Index (CPI) releases have seen declines. Moreover, the latest comments from Federal Reserve members indicate that they may be slowing the pace of rate hikes sooner rather than later. This has led many analysts to assume that rate hikes could stop at a lower rate than previously anticipated.”

Anybody else sharing the same sentiment?

1 Like

Buying both of these more heavily during the larger downturns seems adequate. Again, the money has been made on the current energy narrative and tech sell-off, so again you are in an unchartered narrative again which means possibly the indexes will prove the better buy over the next 5 years yet also so could the individual stock picking?

Hypothetically any general narrative is in play now, Australian mining companies might do awesomely well along with American high end fashion names… find that medium term upward narrative and watch it play out.

I’ve liked an equal weight S&P 500 fund the past 3 months and see that as something I’d hold for a decade - along with buying into a maximum of 4 funds.

Nobody knows if an index will do great a year from now. If anything you’d want it to do poorly to give you more time to accumulate a £30,000 - £100,000 position in that said index.

1 Like

Great insights and very well said. AUX is a dividend mine as well, so dividend investors could get in on that too.

I started investing late December last year and I have created a small and varied portfolio including a few shares of the S&P500 and am analysing my overall results over the last year. I understand that stock portfolios are expected to make 10% year on year (according to online trading journalist’s) but I also know this isn’t an ordinary year. Would others consider the S&P500 to be a good comparison for my own portfolio? This seems sensible to me but If not would anyone be able to suggest a good comparison method?

Hi,
If you exclusively invest in US stocks, the SP500 is a good benchmark. If it’s more international, the MSCI world is likely a better benchmark.

Stock market returns are 10% on average, not every year. This means most years look more like +35% followed by -20% and so on. Extreme results that average to ca. 10% over a long time.

3 Likes