We're hiring! 👩‍💻👨‍💻

Hey gang! :wave:

I’ve been lurking but this is my first post, so I’ll do a short intro. I’m Rachel, I recently joined to help with our expansion plans. I was previously at Deliveroo, where I helped scale the tech team from startup to the behemoth it is today :pizza:

We’re looking for a whole bunch of different people (check out our careers page for the full list), and I’m currently focusing my efforts on finding some (more) awesome engineers to help us build and ship all that we’ve got planned. At the moment we need experienced/senior folk, so if you think you fit the bill I’d love to hear from you! We’ll eventually be hiring babydevs :baby: too, but we want to make sure we’ve got the right support structure in place first.

On a personal level, I’m passionate about diversity and inclusion in tech (and well, all of life) - so I’d especially love to hear from underrepresented groups. We want to build a team that’s reflective of the world around us, because c’mon - it’s 2018.

Feel free to ask me any questions :slight_smile:

26 Likes

What’s the most exciting role we have right now? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t make me choose! :see_no_evil:

The Principal Software Engineer role is definitely up there - they’ll be helping to define engineering at Freetrade for years to come. The Android/iOS ones are pretty cool too, being a mobile-first product means you’re part of the decision-making rather than playing catch up to a legacy stuff that’s been around forever.

But - honestly - they’re all going to have so much impact on what we’re building that I can’t pick out one that’s more exciting than the rest.

5 Likes

Been dying a while to be part of the Freetrade team! :freetrade:
Don’t suppose us babydevs might have a shot come the end of the academic year? :baby::man_student::crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Woohoo, there’s a graduate role listing! :tada:

5 Likes

:tada::tada::tada:

6 Likes

This is so very exciting :star_struck:

1 Like

If you guys ever get a role to do with UI UX Design i’d love to help out

Any role for full stack developer ? I can write code in PHP, Javascript (React, Nodejs ) and Java.

3 Likes

We’re always hiring developers :smile:

Check out the roles on our careers page -

4 Likes

You should open an office in Europe since I’m in Prague right now

Business development roles or other non-coding? :thinking::sunglasses:

1 Like

Definitely not business development :stuck_out_tongue: but we have more non-coding roles on our careers page - Careers.

1 Like

This is interesting, and not just for the Freetrade mention at the end

3 Likes

They’re sad that they can’t continue to pay badly for top end talent, no sympathy from me

3 Likes

How do you expect startups to match the salaries offered by multi billion pound companies? Especially post Brexit when the loss of freedom of movement means less European citizens coming to London to work.

Competition is good but uneven competition will stop many small companies getting off the ground or expanding

3 Likes

This is, in my opinion, why freetrade needs to be raising a large institutional round with a top VC. Those large backers will give top talent comfort that they are joining a hot startup and that their options will actually be worth something in the future. Crowdfunding is great for increasing engagement, but not attracting top talent.

1 Like

Wrong.

Genuine top talent are attractive by product, mission and solving difficult problems. They are not attracted by brand name VCs.

14 Likes

Startups shouldn’t try to match salary, they should be offering equity.

3 Likes

And compensation… hence my point. A top VC will help validate that their equity will mean something. The current exec team are first time entrepreneurs and they could do with some smart money in my opinion.