What did you learn about investing in 2019?

I’ve just bought Okta, I talk about it in my latest video. But I’m expecting a good 2020 for it:

1 Like

Every investment I’ve made this year has gone up my more than 28%, except Sirius minerals which was very much a gamble.

I’ve learned that I need more starting capital.

9 Likes

I kept Okta at -19%.
No regrets! :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of my lessons was about knowing when upcoming earnings are.

I’ve added a new tab to my Google Sheet for planning the next month’s purchases, and in it I’m forcing myself to go and find out when the next earnings date is:

11 Likes

This is the best thread for me so far. I’m able to build my investment process based on it. Thank you Phil.

2 Likes

What were your purchases, Heff? I’ve bought about 20 stocks, all of them up except GM which is about even. Wouldn’t say that’s down to my skill though haha.

I bought some Sirius as well, but it was just with the change in my account, not one of my considered investments.

@AchillesFirstStand GM are a great buy in my opinion right now. Was gonna go in but went for increasing on Bristol Myers

Yeah, my results to date don’t really mean that much as I’m looking long term anyway. I invested in GM after reading that they’re i think in the top 2 companies in terms of self-driving car technology.

1 Like

Great thread, really helpful. Thanks everyone.

2 Likes

Centamin, games workshop, Morgan advanced.
I invest in a minimal amount of companies that I believe will do well, and dividend payments are a huge factor.
I only invest in a new company when I’ve reached my shares target for the current one I’m investmenting in.

2 Likes

I’ve learnt to have a core rule when buying a stock which is in this spreadsheet (automated) and if it is true, I review the stock and check so see if I think its worth a buy
Keep emotions out of it.
Stable dividends is something I look for aswell.

Here is my gsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rEC7mQW22n7-PSy-lwAlXbZa2WOrv4W2lmKVCeqe0tc/edit?usp=sharing

2 Likes

The long anticipated crash failed to materialise ( again ). It will happen one day but anybody listening to the doom merchants would have missed out on some serious gains this year ( The Dow has gone from 22k → 28k ).

8 Likes

What did I learn? I should have bet more on Apple.

They are single handedly my best performing stock - I’m up £652 on my 10 shares. I bought at $200 and should have bought more then. I should have bought more when they dropped to around $175 and now it is trading at $284

8 Likes

I’ve learnt I just can’t predict any stock, it drives me crazy seeing them rise when I’ve sold and drop when I’ve held.

So now I just stick a monthly amount into a few ETF’s and don’t look/care. My stress levels are much better for it.

23 Likes

I too just have ETFs now. Individual stocks were good fun but took up too much time and emotion. Am even considering selling my US funds because I don’t like the exchange rate risk. Still, I’m way up and happy and it feels like investing rather than trading.

9 Likes

I feel your pain I’m down 42% but I believe they can reach those heights again and beyond. It’s a great company with so much potential.

I actually think the opposite now.

They need to strike some cracking deals in 2020 or it’s only going to get worse.

Is it that company that has potential or just the market and they’re just the first to go public?

ETFs generally outperform the market anyway. I’ve got a few individual stocks. One is doing very well and I am several thousand pound up. Another is doing rubbish and I’m down about 45% on that trade. Whereas my ETF is doing fairly steady and my main purpose is to invest for the future so over the longer term I’d expect my funds to provide a decent ROI.

What is untested is how they will perform during a global recession. If I was smart enough the only thing I would do is convert a % of my funds to bonds rather than equities then switch back when equities have floored. But if it was that easy we would all be rich :slight_smile:

3 Likes