What to do?

With many experts talking of bank collapses and buy ins. Where is the safest place for our money right now?

Stocks
Banks
Cash
Gold silver
Crypto
Gambling websites.

Letā€™s start with buy ins. So if a bank collapses they may use your money and give you shares in the collapsed bank. Yippee. They did it in Cyprus a few years ago

Gambling websites, so I basically mean transfer 1000Ā£ into different companies like betfair and bet365. If the banks collapse surely they will be safe or wil they use the same banks and so that wonā€™t work?

Crypto- not for me as the big boys can move around crypto way too easily

Stocks - but all stocks could take a 50-80% hit.

Gold. Maybe safe but then how does that work if investing through Freetrade and banks collapse.

Long winded question but itā€™s been on my mind for a couple months and need to make a decision.

Thanks

I know itā€™s a boring answer, but we canā€™t make this decision for you. You need to do your own research and make your own decisions. If youā€™re uncomfortable doing that, keep your money under your mattress. Thereā€™s some element of risk in all the things youā€™ve listed. No one truly knows the definitive answer to what youā€™re asking. If they did, thereā€™d be no risk in investing and whatever was the right answer would essentially be a magic money tree.

3 Likes

If less than 85k youā€™re covered with a bank and fscs.

1 Like

Government bonds are widely considered to be low risk. Hence why US treasuries yields are often referred to as the ā€œrisk free returnā€.

Thatā€™s not strictly true because long expiry bonds carry interest rate risk (their value may fall as interest rates rise) and the donā€™t confer any protection from inflation.

2 Likes

Gold, lots of gold. Put it in chests and bury it. Write a map and then leave it hidden in an old book ā€¦ 100 years later, some plucky young thing will find it in a musty attic and hilarity will ensue! (For them, not you, you will be dead - sorry)

But a more boring answer is if you are truly worried about banks collapsing then donā€™t have more than Ā£85,000 in each separate institute (watch out for sub-banks that are actually part of bigger banks)

Putting it in gambling sites? I donā€™t think you have any protection at all in this case.

Stocks? Stocks are like waves, learn to ride them and donā€™t go out too deep and its lots of fun. Worried about the yo-yo effect then look at things like pound cost averaging.

Crypto is awesome if you love having root canal whilst riding on a rollercoaster.

But if you are truly truly worried about losing your money, stick it in premium bonds and an NS&I savings account. 100% guaranteed, unless the government collapses, in which case money means nothing anyway!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.