Which crowdfunding companies have you invested in?

Brewdog
Freetrade
Plum
Dabbl
Seven Bro7hers

Reached my CF investment limit so that’ll do me for now I think.

2 Likes

Interested to hear your thoughts on coconut? I invested early on in their CC campaign but are wondering if one of the bigger fintechs May swoop in…

2 Likes

Cocoon was a total loss. They ran out of money and the investors got zero consideration. I have a fair few of the same investments. As for HAV, I have continued to invest in them despite the unmasting etc. They are quietly progressing quite nicely and this latest round should be the last one open to private investors. Loaning them money to tide them over pending receipt of their insurance monies (since repaid with interest) gets me a 15% discount on the current raise. My average is well under the current share price and what with both the EU and UK awarding them Production Organisation Approvals, things are looking positive.

I’ve done a couple of hundred so won’t list them all, but the ones I’m excited about:

• Freetrade (obviously) from round 1
  • Hectare (marketplace and paypal-type system for trading agribulks and livestock)
  • Aseptium (some get-everything-super-clean system for medical environments)
  • Brewdog in the 2013 round
  • Graphene Composites (as above)
  • WiseAlpha, Onedox, Chip, Plum, Dabbl (fintechs)
  • Noveltea, 808, Vita, Oksen (booze)
  • MacRebur (roads from waste plastic)
  • Seedrs

A few have failed, a few have been sold, lots have increased in value, and lots are zombies. Overall I’m happy.

9 Likes

Hi, this is Kokoon rather than Cocoon. Sleep headphones and going well. I think HAV will exit eventually too.

Ah, sorry. Thought it was a typo!

Tandem :grimacing:
Freetrade :tada:
Monzo :tada:

Tried to get in on monzo early but was unsuccessful.
Wish I’d known about Freetrade on earlier rounds

Tandem. Well. Yeah.

6 Likes

I have around 80 from 2016, 1 company sold and shareholders are yet to get anything (Flexifoot) , and 1 company may be winding up due to the ill health of the founder.

I have some awesome ones which have multiplied in value (£500 plus) and have taken a lot of small punts £10-50) which don’t seem to be doing much. Luckily most of my larger investments look great. : - Graphene Composites (2nd &4th rounds) Hectare (all rounds) , The Cheeky Panda, macRebur ( both rounds) Aseptium (both rounds) YellowDog, Seedrs, Zazu, Cauli Rice,Wisealpha, City Falcon Freetrade

I made a small investment in Oppos convertible and they offered 1.5 x return, which I refused as I’d like to see where the journey takes me (if anywhere).

Those I’m unsure where they are going : lightvert, Hurree, The Surrey Cook, Wriggle.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: The Breakfast Club

Freetrade
Monzo
Go Henry
Mr & Mrs Smith
Airsorted
Wisealpha
Recycling Technologies
Zing Zing
The Vurger Co
Mindful Chef
Crowdcube

Also a handful of breweries (more than likely bad investments but a bit of fun)

2 Likes

Monzo

Coconut (replacing accountants and book-keepers is a massive opportunity if they get the UX right)

Recycling Technologies – if they can deliver, and achieve government contracts, they could succeed. Their product looks promising.

Thread – they make clothes shopping way easier. I didn’t put a lot in, but I have used and loved them for years. And the menswear market is so underserved, I think they have a chance.

The majority of crowdfund projects I see, I think “no way”, though.

3 Likes

Kenny how and where can I invest in the four mentioned above . Real newbie. First time invester

Hi @Lbiney, welcome to the forum.

In answer to your question, the only one I’m aware of which might have another round soon is Freetrade (I think they are planning one in 2019?) Monzo just had a round so won’t be doing one for a while as they are farther on than the others. Coconut may do another one in a year or so as they’re at an early stage. EIS investments are best IMO if you can as you can set them against tax and I think they are free of CGT if you manage to sell.

However, if you’re just starting with investing in general I’d say an index tracker fund with low fees might be a good bet initially and to steer clear of crowdfunding until you have other investments and spare money. Freetrade has lots available and it is far less risky than crowdfunding.

Apologies if you already have other investments and are well aware of this. Crowdfunding is a long term bet, and highly illiquid and risky compared even to shares of established companies.

I’m not sure how many more crowdfunding investments I’ll do, but it’s certainly a really interesting area, exposing very early stage companies to normal investors like us. I’ll be interested to see how it develops in parallel to established markets over the next few decades, and whether I look back on these decisions to invest with fondness or regret.

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: MoveGB

Kenny thanks so much for the info will learn more on topic n invest.

Also which one of the attached do I pick to start?

WHAT IS AN INDEX TRAVCER FUND? ?Examples please do I can purchase some on Freetrade

Thanks

Thanks for your detailed explanation ( very informative n helpful)

Where can I find if I am allowed or can start. I uploaded the app seen the shares on offer but can’t find where to link my accounts how

These list above are CFs right? Where can I find and buy all these shares for example Free trade? Or these listed share come and go

What is the meaning of all rounds or 2nd n 4th rounds and both rounds? What is punts. I want to start investing today if nothing at all at least Freetrade

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ask your beginners questions here :hatching_chick:

You can only invest in crowdfunded companies when they have a funding round, hence the reference to round 1, round 2 etc. These are not publicly traded shares so you can’t buy them unless the company in question is selling shares. You can’t sell these shares either unless the company IPO’s (goes public) or is bought by a bigger company which could take many years and might never happen if they go bust.

Index tracker funds are available on freetrade and a good option if you’re just starting out. These funds invest in many companies and you won’t lose all you’re money if some of these companies go bust.

5 Likes

Seedrs have an active secondary market where you can buy and sell shares

1 Like