What percentage of your portfolio is invested in startups and crowd funds?

The subject says it all really - just curious to see what sort of levels of investment are being made in crowdfunds.

Thanks a lot,

3 Likes

5%, but I donā€™t have much money and am quite young so less risk-averse.

1 Like

0% before Freetrade, now about 30% :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Like 60% crowdfunding. I didnā€™t realise that so many failed, beginner error. Trying to rectify now. The polished pitch videos are so persuasiveā€¦

5 Likes

I also made an exception for freetrade
Couldnā€™t resist

1 Like

It depends which you have helped to fund! I know some people who have strong crowdfund portfolios which have had decent returns. It is about diversification but even more than that having a good eye for these things. Some people are just born with the sight!

giphy

1 Like

About 40% :grimacing:

Most of that is Monzo and Freetrade though

2 Likes

@Rat_au_van Guilty as charged! Monzo and FT were too enticing! I have a few other crowdfunds in the portfolio, but it makes up about 10% overall.

2 Likes

<1%

Crowdfunding stocks are just ā€˜funā€™ stocks, not ones Iā€™m relying on for my retirement! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

About 10% ish I think thatā€™s a bit too high really so Iā€™m not even looking at crowdfunding sites at the moment

2 Likes

Goddam general jonny, you got nerves

They do all have flashy pitches, but i guess only 10% will give a return?

1 Like

20% among a diverse portfolio of startups - not intentionally, I hadnā€™t anticipated how hard to rebalance startups would be (as theyā€™re so illiquid) without foregoing the opportunities that come my way. With some exits, Iā€™ll hopefully get to my target allocation of ~10%.

Iā€™m sure we all know but I feel like someone needs to be that guy reminding us that startups incredibly risky, and we shouldnā€™t get carried away - however exciting it may seem! And to diversify! As much as I believe in freetrade to have >20% in this one company would be asking for trouble!

1 Like

20% right now. But not planning anymore unless itā€™s a compelling opportunity like Freetrade or Monzo.

Iā€™ve been crowdfunding since 2012 . Iā€™ve had a few exits and also failed businesses. Thank goodness for EIS and SEIS. I was able to claim tax relief and loss relief (on failed ones).

Largest investments: FreeTrade, Monzo, Crowdcube, Seedrs, WiseAlpha & JustPark.

Iā€™ve got about 5-6% invested in Freetrade, which is my only crowdfunding endeavour. Iā€™ve looked at maybe 20 other proposals on crowdcube and they either donā€™t look that great or i donā€™t have enough knowledge to understand the business, but i will still check their marketing emails.

I use freetrade and interact with the staff on the forum so I trust the company, what I know at least! Iā€™ve also read the pitch deck and although itā€™s pretty ambitious, it could be feasible.

1 Like

Between 1% - 2% for me so also just a bit of fun. With the EIS Income Tax / Loss relief you canā€™t go too far wrong. Associated rewards can be quite nice as well - Iā€™ve got Ā£100 Seven Bro7hers beer vouchers burning a hole in my pocket for my next trip to Manchesterā€¦

2 Likes

Somewhere between 5-10%, but nearer 5. It was 10-15% a month ago, but then I sold my stake in Phoenix Point (a Fig funded video game) for post-tax 80%+ return.

Currently, Iā€™m invested in CommuterClub, Freetrade, and What the Golf (another Fig game). On a whim a few weeks back, I backed Rubies in the Rubble, but am having second thoughts - their valuation looks too high. Also considering Keymailer, but I donā€™t think the campaign will make it.

2 Likes

Around 6%.
Iā€™ve got various amounts invested in around 40 startups (Freetrade is by far my biggest investment).
Iā€™ve only managed one successful exit, and made an incredible Ā£10 profit!
My favourite holding is a chocolate company called ā€œLove Cocoaā€ - itā€™s founder is James Cadbury, the great, great, great grandson of the founder of Cadburys Chocolate.

1 Like

10% too - but only Monzo and Freetrade

About 70% - Crowdfunding is what got me into investing in general, although going forward I plan to be less weighted towards crowdfunding.

4 Likes

Around 36% but it is decreasing each month as my portfolio gets more diverse.

Eventually it will be below 10%