6 reasons I'm NOT investing this time, from someone who has invested in previous 2 rounds

Weā€™ll handle this on a case by case basis, via a DM. This isnā€™t an issue very often :slight_smile:

4 Likes

2 reasons why I will most definitely be investing in this round

1. I didnā€™t get the chance last time, which I bitterly regret :cry:
  2. FT is amazeballs (especially compared to the appalling Halifax Share Dealing ā€œserviceā€, which I used in the past) and well worth it.

Oh, reason 3 ā€“ Iā€™ve just liquidated a number of assets (counted up my spare pennies :laughing: ) and all of that huge amount of cash is good to go.

7 Likes

Hi everyone,

Iā€™ve been reading this community for a little bit now and this thread seemed a good one for my first post.

The post from @Follie81 is very dodgy but it makes good points.
I invested in round 1. I had just made an investment in another star Crowcube campaign and had a bit of extra cash to spend. So I can say I was lucky. I looked at @adam 's deck, a 31 pages document (with what i guess might still be is personal number on the cover :wink: ). It looked like the most promising project at the time.

So, what did this first deck promised ?
First of all, a very optimistic early 2017 launch !
Second of all, it showed FT only needed 26 FTE in Y1 post-launch.
On the good part, it forecasted 36k users and 365mĀ£ AUM in Y1ā€¦ it does look like FT might over achieve that part.

In the last 3 years Iā€™ve received countless updates from the team and it seemed I lived their growth with them. Iā€™m very happy with my investment which is standing at something like x10-13 from 2016. But now is a very important turn point in FT history, will it achieve growth and revenue and make us all rich or will it fail ? I feel like r1 investors are coming from too far away and have basically already won their bet. Itā€™s just too risky to gamble it all again, and that is why I will not invest in this round.

Good luck to all r4 investors !
And all the best to FT :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow overwhelmed.

I used a different email for this post, after creating a new account just for this post, for obvious privacy reason, considering how sensitive this post may become. And it has. Just imagine people here know who I am.

For full disclosure, Alex asked me around 130pm for investor identify verification. Viktor said here around 2pm that they have verified that Iā€™m not an investor. How?

Obviously this email address I use does not attach to any previous account. But how could you rush to ease people by claiming that Iā€™m not an investor? Itā€™s easy to (mis)lead people to believe some sort of conspiracy theories to your benefits but I donā€™t really think a companyā€™s senior management should be doing this, ungroundedly. Quite a panic and unprofessional move to be honest, if I may.

The last raise was last May. I got that wrong and remembered it was last August. Sincere apologies. But my rationale still holds I think regarding importance of VC and high cash burn.

My biggest disappointment and reason of not following on is no VC this round. The reasons and consequences I wonā€™t repeat again.

Good luck sincerely.

1 Like

Why hide? Come out. Plenty of others have said they are NOT going to invest and why. Some points were quite valid and others agreed with you. Why are you hiding?

IP address and logs checks anyone at FT against database?

3 Likes

I also think everyone is deeply suspicious why you would post such a length post at around 10-11am, ignore all contact and disappear all afternoon and then come back at 5.30pm the day before a crowdfund launch and then claim you are overwhelmed. It really stinks mate. You are well aware of this post and the replies I am quite sure.

I sent you a private message which you viewed middayish. You didnā€™t reply. So you were around. You chose not to reply.

5 Likes

The questions were a little provocative, but itā€™s raised some interesting discussions so no harm done. The title is a bit long and hyperbolic though! I donā€™t think anyoneā€™s going to chase after you with pitchforks, even if some disagree with some of your statements. Iā€™d avoid the accusations of bias etc and stick to the facts as you see them.

If you really are an investor, maybe just drop them a line to let them know your investing email, and Iā€™m sure they can remove that notice and add a badge, but preserve your anonymity!

8 Likes

All good and I think that we would all agree that free speech is worth protecting. I may not always agree with everything that I read on here, but Itā€™s good to hear other points of view as sometimes it does make me stop and think about things in a new way.

Listen to other people, donā€™t listen to other people, but at the end of the day weā€™re all grown upā€™s and weā€™re all responsible for our own investing decisions.

Enjoy your evening and Iā€™m looking forward to watching the funding round open tomorrow morning.

Hereā€™s hoping for more up days in the markets. :slight_smile:
Matt

3 Likes

They just might be busy for the next few months :open_mouth:

P.S. Sharing in reference to Revolut disrupting Freetrade.

5 Likes

Creating a new account to post a fairly negative post ONE DAY BEFORE the raise? Privacy concerns?

Ok, sure. :roll_eyes:

What would you have them do?

Whoever you are, this was a terrible move. Trying to have a go at Viktor (or Alex) for their actions is also a terrible move.

I could say so much more, but wonā€™t.

6 Likes

Definitely something :fish: if you ask me.

Why today? Because I just knew valuation and max raise and confirmed there is no VC money

Why bother to know who I am?

And ignore my reasoningā€¦

1 Like

I have no interest in who you may or may not be. But if you need a separate account purely to express something so it doesnā€™t sully your ā€œrealā€ account, it indicates something negative about you. Either have the courage of your convictions, or donā€™t bother at all, if you ask me.

3 Likes

Because I sadly have a day job. Thatā€™s why.

U were asking me something I didnā€™t know how to answer: will someone buy out freetrade?

1 Like

Ok, youā€™ve made your points and so letā€™s just let this settle down now. No point labouring this as we can all now move on and focus on other things. Life is far too short to spend it discussing personal opinions on a message board. :slight_smile:

Letā€™s all hope for a good day tomorrow, regardless of whether we are or arenā€™t looking to take part in the funding round.

Matt

8 Likes

As you sort of imply in your post, I personally donā€™t agree that the second point (or the first) is a reason not to invest.

Firstly, Monzo is succeeding in the banking sector - UK banks were aware and arguably have far more resource to catch up quickly. Itā€™s much more difficult to just ā€œcatch upā€. It results in a change of culture, direction, tech stack and more. I can confirm this from the opinions of friends who work at HL.

Secondly, even if my first point is incorrect, I donā€™t think the fact that Freetrade have competition is a reason not to invest.

I wonā€™t be investing this round I think, donā€™t get me wrong I love the product and I pay monthly into my FT ISA, but for me I wanted to grab as many shares as I could afford last round so I put everything I had (and a bit more) to get them at 52p, I had no desire to buy a few at 52p and then buy some more at Ā£1 etc. and so on.

The biggest gains are made when you get in early and I got in as early as I could. This round will be ā€˜getting in earlyā€™ for someone else.

Itā€™s like with Monzo, so far I have put money into every round of Monzo, but if I could have put it all in during round 1 instead, I would have.

I shall continue to support FT by using them as my only broker ā€¦ for now until I hit the Ā£85,000 mark and then we will see.

4 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more with this comment on Halifax Share Dealing. I felt I was treated very poorly by them and wonā€™t go anywhere near them again. Once Freetrade have an established position and have gained market trust, how can offerings like Halifax Share Dealing remain valid options for any investor, big or small?

4 Likes

Halifax Share dealing is in managed decline, itā€™s not being invested in. Lloyds (who own Halifax) will launch a robo-Advisor as their investment offering.

Needless to say this will be an expensive robo! My thoughts are this will bring more of the general population into investing as Lloyds have ~30m accounts. The high charges will naturally lead people to look for other investment offerings like Freetrade :tada:

10 Likes

I love the Freetrade app now as it is so really looking forward to see it progress and improve.
I have no doubt many others who havenā€™t discovered Freetrade or indeed investing yet in some cases will also love it.
Once Freetrade is discovered I think the number one essential ingredient going forward that will have people opening up Freetrade ISAā€™s is TRUST. I think Viktor has touched on this elsewhere.
Of course Freetrade are building trust. Trust will Grow as user numbers grow and Freetrade progresses on all fronts. Iā€™m optimistic.

3 Likes