A quick option to sell all shares

It would be good if you had a quick way (1-3 clicks) to sell your whole portfolio rather than having to sell each share individually. This would be useful when there is a market coerrection and they are all going south fast.

Yes, but more no. Timing the market on the way down can be as difficult as timing it on the way up. Allowing consumers a 1-click ‘panic sell’ option might be doing them a disservice.

There’s lots of analysis about optimal strategy during a market correction. Summary is: hold. But read this, for example:

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of having an in-app ‘sell all’ panic button.

If you are going to do this, which, as @jstar88 points out, is probably not advisable, you’re likely better off using stop loss orders.

1 Like

Yeah - I didnt really ask for a lesson in whether or not to time the market. There is definitely an example I can easily think of that I would want to sell all shares quickly without going through 30 stocks in my SIPP and then 30 in my ISA.

Like the time they announced covid and lockdown and we all knew there would be a crash and it crashed, that would of been a nice time to sell.

Then you could buy somewhere near the bottom which is where I would say is acceptable. People will come back at me and say but where would the bottom be? And I would say well I sure hope not neg 120% on the snp500 so if it dropped 50% I’d be happy if I bought in 30% knowing it might drop further but I wouldn’t expect it to go to a 100 or something majorly wrong.

What about the 20 other times you’ve ‘been sure’ a crash was coming but it didn’t really materialize so you haven’t remembered it.

This feature will never be added, it goes against every rule for building wealth. By companies you like, that you know are good and never sell.

1 Like

I don’t know many crashes Tbh other than the ones I was watching the only ones I got right was

Bitcoin - I waited because the price was far to high there was talks about crashes maybe happning mid summer but I felt it near Xmas and it did drop massively to 2k something I had enough for 2 coins at the time but I shit myself because I only had my help to buy isa and a little in spare if I had used that 5k on 2 coins I would be running dry. So I bricked it and bitcoin flew up and rebounded again not as high as before but enough to sell and make a profit. Of course I could of put 5k on it and it could of dropped further and never recovered but I always felt bitcoin had some sort of place with all the farms, people, interest, like me people seen it as a bargin.

Covid - I wasn’t in the market at the time but I was watching it I spent 3 years watching the market before I decided to try it, covid went even better than I thought

Tesla - a company I was watching was interested in and again didn’t know whwre to put my money I was buying mgc pharmaceuticals at the time tesla was 50 pounds would you believe that haha and next it flys to the moon another gut wrenching moment

Amd - a company I have always loved that was in the low 40s I decided don’t worry next month I’ll buy and instead bought a ton of rio tinto and a snp etc to my joy amd shot to the moon that month after being down for months lol

NVIDIA - another company like amd same idea liked it new all the bitcoin farmers used their cards as well that was adding to the profitsx I wanted to get in but again bought other single stocks, seen AI was picking pace on tik tok and the likes and missed this yet again.

Intel - another baby I love always had their processors and amd a few times of course

I guess though with my ETFs I had a little part of all of them kind of.

Other than those not many other crazy events have happend accept China reopening etc, the wars are unpredictable as they don’t seem to be effecting the market as much only when first announced.

Ps. Sorry phone died mid typing :slight_smile: