Alibaba (BABA) 💻 - Share Chat

@NeilB excellent points. I hope that others read your comments and think carefully. It is all about doing one’s research. I have had the pleasure of going to and working in China, on business, on several occasions and I certainly would never underestimate the capacity of China and Chinese people to achieve great things. It is an amazing place - things get torn down quickly and rebuilt when it is believed that is the right thing to do. Even the western brand hotel that I stayed at in Beijing was knocked down and rebuilt between the two of the visits that I made there.

I think it is fantastic that you took the time to read about China and some Chinese leaders. In particular taking Xiaoping into consideration. I have started reading this book:

but am afraid I have not had the time to complete it. New Year’s resolutions are around the corner so I guess one spot is now taken :slight_smile:

The fact that the present leadership intends to make a great and everlasting positive change to millions more in China is a good thing. Whether BABA and similar companies fit with that goal is up in the air. There are other aspects of this: western Fashion brands that have been targeted for “disrespecting Chinese sovereignty” know only too well.

Like you, I am not taking a position on BABA one way or the other - I don’t understand enough and so this is an impossible call for me. Perhaps the simplest, but still risk soaked way of investing there, is via a fund of some description. People interested in China need to take a long view and be prepared to understand that everything can be torn down and built into something different in a flash.

3 Likes

7 Likes

2 Likes

@Pdw I see what you did there :blush:

2 Likes

Charlie Munger doubled down in Q4.

It’s roughly ~28% of his portfolio now. Is this BABA(ADR) or 9988 Hong Kong?

3 Likes

It’s BABA ADR. You can check his Hong Kong holdings on HK exchange website, but only if he owns more than 5% of the company. And in case of BABA, he owns just 0.0222%, so it wouldn’t even show up if he owned it in Hong Kong.

Keep in mind though - Charlie Munger DOES NOT use Freetrade and can therefore easily exchange each BABA share to eight 9988.HongKong Alibaba shares and you can’t do it on Freetrade as far as I know.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

1 Like

Come on, Mung Beans. He’s 999 years old, so hopefully will be some short term returns.

You clearly don’t understand Charlie Munger’s way of thinking. He’s a long term investor even at 98. :smiley:

Yeh, I know still doing long term investing, the same principles as before :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Whaaaat, guys I’m in the green :sunglasses: £1.20 stonks profit :slight_smile:

4 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-07/china-regulator-vows-stability-after-stock-market-s-rocky-start

China Regulator Vows Stability After Stock Market’s Rocky Start
CSRC says it will adopt various measures to stabilize market

China Securities Regulatory Commission Chairman Yi Huiman said the watchdog will adopt various measures to avoid volatility and “firmly” prevent big fluctuations, according to an interview with state TV network aired Thursday. CSRC will evaluate the timing and conditions before rolling out major policies.

1 Like

Who’s read for the DD to end all DD’s, free until January 16th you might want to put the kettle on and get comfortable.

Although we often hear people liken Alibaba to China’s Amazon. But other than being in e-commerce, they’re actually quite different.
Alibaba’s mission is 让天下没有难做的生意, which is to make it easy to do business anywhere. The company wants to be the facilitator of enabling small businesses. This means the bulk of their revenue comes from enabling third-party sales. Amazon, on the other hand, is focused on first-party sales. This means that Amazon will take inventory and sell directly to consumers.

After a long read I’m going to be looking further into the macro and micro around $BABA. I don’t infer if a break up could be on the horizon for Alibaba & Tencent, their anticompetitive behaviours have been pretty egregious.

2 Likes

“Don’t listen to what they say, watch what they do” :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

China cuts interest rates as economic growth slows China cuts interest rates as economic growth slows - BBC News

Anyone else pick this up? I’m hoping this will have the opposite effect the rates increases are having on the US tech markets.