Alibaba - BABA - Share Chat

@Pdw I see what you did there :blush:

2 Likes

Charlie Munger doubled down in Q4.

It’s roughly ~28% of his portfolio now. Is this BABA(ADR) or 9988 Hong Kong?

3 Likes

It’s BABA ADR. You can check his Hong Kong holdings on HK exchange website, but only if he owns more than 5% of the company. And in case of BABA, he owns just 0.0222%, so it wouldn’t even show up if he owned it in Hong Kong.

Keep in mind though - Charlie Munger DOES NOT use Freetrade and can therefore easily exchange each BABA share to eight 9988.HongKong Alibaba shares and you can’t do it on Freetrade as far as I know.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

1 Like

Come on, Mung Beans. He’s 999 years old, so hopefully will be some short term returns.

You clearly don’t understand Charlie Munger’s way of thinking. He’s a long term investor even at 98. :smiley:

Yeh, I know still doing long term investing, the same principles as before :smile:

1 Like

Whaaaat, guys I’m in the green :sunglasses: £1.20 stonks profit :slight_smile:

5 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-07/china-regulator-vows-stability-after-stock-market-s-rocky-start

China Regulator Vows Stability After Stock Market’s Rocky Start
CSRC says it will adopt various measures to stabilize market

China Securities Regulatory Commission Chairman Yi Huiman said the watchdog will adopt various measures to avoid volatility and “firmly” prevent big fluctuations, according to an interview with state TV network aired Thursday. CSRC will evaluate the timing and conditions before rolling out major policies.

1 Like

Who’s read for the DD to end all DD’s, free until January 16th you might want to put the kettle on and get comfortable.

Although we often hear people liken Alibaba to China’s Amazon. But other than being in e-commerce, they’re actually quite different.
Alibaba’s mission is 让天下没有难做的生意, which is to make it easy to do business anywhere. The company wants to be the facilitator of enabling small businesses. This means the bulk of their revenue comes from enabling third-party sales. Amazon, on the other hand, is focused on first-party sales. This means that Amazon will take inventory and sell directly to consumers.

After a long read I’m going to be looking further into the macro and micro around $BABA. I don’t infer if a break up could be on the horizon for Alibaba & Tencent, their anticompetitive behaviours have been pretty egregious.

2 Likes

“Don’t listen to what they say, watch what they do” :sweat_smile:

2 Likes
3 Likes

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/alibaba-sec-filing-may-signal-021855460.html?ncid=twitter_yfsocialtw_l1gbd0noiom

1 Like

Bit of a deep dive into $BABA here. I’ve still not bitten but starting to think I should.

2 Likes

Yeah the vast majority of the financials/metrics about Alibaba are really good.

One additional thing not mentioned on that article that I was reading in the recent results, was their logistics operations results and European expansion, seemed to be doing quite well, that will only aid the vertical integration and international commerce operations with that European expansion, in a similar guise to Amazon building it’s logistics operations out and how well that is working in saving costs for Amazon.

Getting slightly more diversified from e-commerce, with those other revenue sectors (cloud, logistics etc) accounting for around 20% of revenues compared to about 10% a couple years ago.

3 Likes

Share price has taken even more of a beating last couple of trading days
Down a good 20% or so from Thursday, appears to be a level of panic with some other Chinese ADRs being identified as failing to adhere to the US law around US regulators not being able to review company audits.

Not identified Alibaba, Baidu or JD.com yet, sounds like a matter of time.

1 Like

If I recall, Alibaba has already been audited by US auditors, right?

Yeah they are audited by PwC

This looks to be around turning that audit information over to the US market regulator, that they can’t provide currently because of a Chinese national security law

3 Likes

Encouraging news.

Pre market looking positive.

Not a direct investor, but exposed via ETFs.

Edit to add: Baba is up 27% on HK exchange

5 Likes