Alibaba - BABA - Share Chat

alibaba-logo-300x131

Alibaba Group Holding Limited is a Chinese multinational conglomerate specializing in e-commerce, retail, Internet, AI and technology.

Alibaba Group - Wikipedia

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=NYSE:BABA

1 Like

Jack Ma Confirmed as Chinese Communist Party Member - Bloomberg

Iā€™m guessing this ā€˜legitimisesā€™ his wealth (ā€œitā€™s ok, heā€™s basically part of the government anywayā€) but thereā€™s been a lot of purging of ā€˜corruptā€™ officials in the communist party so heā€™s obviously not safe here. Iā€™m not sure what a safe billionaire looks like in China to be fair.

3 Likes

Considering he is not a politician/statesman at all, only a mere businessman, I believe he is quite safe against corruption shakedown.

All they need from him is data on every Chinese business/customer that operate via Alibaba Group. I think the fact he joined the party only means he is more than happy to share everything they need, which is expected if you want to have a safe life :slight_smile:

How come I donā€™t see alibaba in the app? This is one of the big stocks in the market in US. Can we have this in?

1 Like

Now that weā€™ve launched US stocks, this is available in the app :us:

Hot on the heels of SoftBank trying to eat the world, Alibabaā€™s now made itā€™s first European acquisition. Iā€™m sure they wonā€™t stop there either.

4 Likes

Always do your due diligence, etc etc

Ant Financial to be spun off and be listed.

Ant Financial was priced/valued at $150 billion last year in May 2018, with Carlyle, Sequoia and Warburg Pincus joining the round. It was ā€œvaluedā€ at $60 billion in April 2016.

A fundraising document seen by Reuters showed Ant planned to list both in China and Hong Kong in 2019.
ā€¦
Four-year-old Ant, which was spun off from Alibaba when the group went public in New York, has diversified over the years into credit services, asset management and online banking, besides owning the Alipay payment platform.

Source - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ant-financial-fundraising/chinas-ant-financial-raises-10-billion-at-150-billion-valuation-sources-idUSKCN1IU0EZ

In :cn:, most retail payments pretty much go through either AliPay (via Ant) and WeChat Pay.

FT:

Alibaba restructuring paves way for Ant Financial IPO

Chinese tech giant will own 33% of $150bn payments affiliate

Alibaba has finally won approval for its restructuring of Ant Financial, paving the way for an initial public offering of the $150bn Chinese payments company.

ā€¦

Alibaba proposed the restructuring, which will see it exchange the right to 37.5 per cent of Ant Financialā€™s pre-tax profit for a 33 per cent equity stake, as long ago as February 2018 as it looked to put the payments affiliate on course for a public listing.

ā€¦

Ant Financial is the worldā€™s most valuable private fintech company, and grew out of Alipay, the payments system founded by Alibaba in 2004. It also owns Yuā€™e Bao, the worldā€™s largest money market fund, and Sesame Credit, a credit-rating system.

ā€¦

The completion of the restructuring clarifies the ownership structure of Ant, although the issue of new equity for Alibaba will dilute investors such as Singapore investment arm Temasek Holdings, which coughed up an aggregate $10bn in a fund raising in May last year that valued Ant at $150bn.

ā€¦

Numbers published in Alibabaā€™s annual report imply Ant produced a pre-tax profit of around $200m in the last fiscal year. But the unit has fallen into the red in some quarters.

ā€¦

Earlier on Tuesday, Eric Jing, chairman and chief executive of Ant, said Alipay and its e-wallet partners currently serve a collective 1.2bn users globally ā€” a 20 per cent increase since the end of December 2018. Of these, 300m users are outside of China.

Source - Alibaba restructuring paves way for Ant Financial IPO

From January 2019 - FT:

Ant Financialā€™s money market fund shrinks to 2-year low

Regulator calls for Tianhong Yuā€™E Bao to be downsized amid concern about systemic risk

ā€¦
The worldā€™s largest money-market mutual fund, Ant Financialā€™s Tianhong Yuā€™E Bao, was at its smallest for two years by the end of last year as Chinese regulators pressured it to downsize over concerns about systemic risk.

Ant Financial owns a 51 per cent stake in Tianhong Asset Management, which manages the flagship fund. But the Yuā€™E Bao platform now offers 13 other money market funds from outside fund managers, which offer the same seamless integration with Antā€™s online payments service, Alipay.

Yuā€™E Bao ā€” whose name translates as Account Balance Treasure ā€” allow users to make payments directly from the money funds using Alipay and also offers on-demand redemption into the userā€™s bank account.

Launched in 2013, Tianhong Yuā€™E Baoā€™s assets under management fell to $168bn by the end of December, down from a peak of $250bn at the end of March, according to the fundā€™s latest quarterly report.

ā€¦

In 2017, Chinaā€™s securities regulator published new rules that imposed reserve requirements on money market funds and restricted their freedom to invest in higher-yielding but less liquid assets. In June, the agency limited instant redemptions to Rmb10,000 ($1,480) per day in an effort to control liquidity risk.

ā€¦

In February last year, Tianhong Yuā€™E Bao voluntarily imposed restrictions on the total amount that a single user could invest in the fund. In May, it started introducing new money funds on to the platform. Non-Tianhong funds managed $190bn in assets by the end of last year.

ā€¦

All agree that Antā€™s core asset is customer data from payments made by Alipayā€™s 700m active users. And even as Tianhong Yuā€™E Baoā€™s assets under management have shrunk, the number of its investors rose to 559m by the end of June from 474m six months earlier, according to the fundā€™s latest report.

Meanwhile, non-Tianhong funds on Yuā€™E Bao, have about 40m investors, whose transaction data are also accessible to Ant.

Source - Ant Financialā€™s money market fund shrinks to 2-year low

2 Likes

I might be blind, but canā€™t see BABA on Freetrade. Anyone? :smiley:

I think it is not available in ISAā€¦ Is that where you are looking for it?

Ahh ok :slight_smile: I was looking there for it yeah. Didnā€™t know some stocks were on ISA, and some were not

1 Like

Today was Singlesā€™ Day in China. Itā€™s a bit weird!

Originally, a few lads at Nanjing University started celebrating Bachelorsā€™ Day or Singlesā€™ Day in 1993, and then it spread to other universities. The day was picked because 11/11 (November 11), consists of four ā€œones,ā€ i.e. four singles.

Alibaba co-opted it as a sort of Black Friday and anti-Valentineā€™s Day in one. If you are single (and even if not!), you can treat yourself to a discounted gift from their ecommerce site or app.

Alibabaā€™s sales reached $1bn in just over one minute today. :money_mouth_face: But sales growth for the full 24-hour event is unlikely to match that of 2018. Analysts said growth was being held back by a slowing overall e-commerce industry in China.

The company is now valued at $480bn, according to Forbes. They also eye a stock market listing in Hong Kong.

Any thoughts from shareholders?

4 Likes

Thatā€™s good to hear theyā€™re on here, I didnā€™t know there was a difference between the accounts in terms of what stocks were available.
Is there a list available anywhere online that I can inspect to see which companies are in which accounts?

2 Likes

I know that the REITs arenā€™t available on the ISA.
A full list of what isnā€™t available would be nice.

1 Like

The optimism from analysts is super high:

2 Likes

Perhaps my biggest mistake this year. Bought Alibaba at 145 sold at 180 and bought BIDU at 95 sold at 115 :grinning:

I will revisit them again next trading session.

1 Like

Unfortunately price target is in CNY, not in dollars.
I compared it with other sources and noticed the conversion error.

2 Likes

Alibaba Group Holding Limited (also known as Alibaba Group and as Alibaba) is a Chinese multinational conglomerate holding company specializing in e-commerce, retail, Internet, and technology. Founded on 4 April 1999 in Hangzhou, Zhejiang, the company provides consumer-to-consumer (C2C), business-to-consumer (B2C), and business-to-business (B2B) sales services via web portals, as well as electronic payment services, shopping search engines and cloud computing services. It owns and operates a diverse array of businesses around the world in numerous sectors, and is named as one of the worldā€™s most admired companies by Fortune.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibaba_Group
Google Finance

This is already in the app :blush:

Are you surešŸ¤”