AMC Entertainment - AMC - Share Chat

Don’t use AMC (or any of the meme stocks) as being representative of the market - they’re really not. There are plenty of good investment opportunities out there particularly if you’re happy to accept a reasonable return rather than the moon on a stick!

7 Likes

That’s pretty much conspiracy bogus. No idea where you get this from, but steady your horses a little. How is this related to AMC anyway? As people already stated, from a fundamental perspective, AMC is a terrible company and will inevitably perish. There’s no need for anyone to collude.

2 Likes

This argument doesn’t hold a lot of water though. Shorting a stock and driving the price down doesn’t really effect a company day to day. The only real impact is that it reduces the funds they could get through stock issues, but this is hardly a day to day occurrence, and even if hedge funds weren’t shorting it, what would the stock price be? $5? $10? Still not a lot.

1 Like

Think you’ll see I purposely didn’t use AMC as an example as I agree it’s neither innovative or has good fundamentals. AMC and GME are examples of when it goes wrong for HFs but the insane manipulation to pump a stock through media, wait for the public to catch the coat tails and then short it to make money is phenomenal. I openly admit I have made money through blue chip USA stocks in the past but this whole event has massively opened a lot of people’s eyes.

I think as you posted it in the AMC thread it was assumed that was what you were talking about that’s all. :+1:

4 Likes

Any news on when all these shorts are up and this is going to the moon. Asking for a friend

3 Likes

There isn’t a deadline on shorts, they can hold them for as long as they want but they do have to pay a borrow fee

I think part of the issue here is that there is a misconception that shorts must cover, it’s almost a rallying cry. But the shorts can hold on as long as they want if they pay the interest

4 Likes

I think he was joking :joy: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

Probably, but it’s worth pointing out that the “Shorts must cover” cry is a load of crap :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh, you are 100% right :+1: but I thought @Submarinex1 was having a giggle. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Is it having a giggle or only coming to the thread to poo poo on people? It’s why a lot of people start off with a bad attitude and snotty posts. They’ve read a few pages up :roll_eyes: (banned accounts like myself aside)

Just kidding I knew its not going anywhere.
You don’t need to be rocket scientist.

I do feel bad for people as I said before people buying these when price had been up based on hype.

This is correct but the real irony is that the retail crowd that have ‘saved’ AMC now basically prevent it from being able to issue new shares.

A shorted AMC might have a slightly reduced capacity to raise funds, but currently they have almost no ability to do so. They could have cleared their $5bn debts for ~25% dilution now but the vote won’t go through, for context they spent 350% dilution for just ~$1bn over winter.

4 Likes

Saw that on a video and how people with no long term interest had stopped amc making the most of the popularity when they could cleared more debit to help going forward.

What’s everyone’s take on the high dark pool usage?

Unsurprising. The only people crazy enough to buy AMC shares are ‘ape’ retail investors, and these investors typically use modern share platforms which route buys/sells through the hedge funds (or at least not via NYSE).

1 Like

I was thinking that, the high dark pool usage could be down to PFOF by Robinhood. so it’s the Apes themselves who are taking one side of all the dark pool trades :laughing:

It’s not exactly what they were designed to do. Surely it’s one of the easiest ways to suppress or control price if over 70% of trades in a day go via the dark pools?

I agree, but to play devil’s advocate, the only reason 70%+ of trades are able to go through dark pools is because normal investors don’t want to go anywhere near the stock because they think it’s overvalued (or at least unstable).

Surely the price of a stock should reflect supply and demand. As I understand it, AMC has been the number one bought stock on several days this week across the world but this isn’t reflected in the price - nothing to do with investors not wanting to touch it.

2 Likes