Any hope of these coming back up or should I cut my losses please

You’re going to receive differing opinions on this

• Cut your losses - opportunity cost and all that

• If you believe in the companies then hold on to it

• Rampers pumping the stocks they’re invested in

• De-rampers who are short on some of the stocks

• No investment advice by some

How are you going to make up your mind?

What made you invest nearly ÂŁ2k of your money in these companies in the first place?

For example MRNA, DARK has products in an interesting space so one would think they’ll bounce back sooner or later but no one knows for certain.

DYOR mate

All the best!

4 Likes

I know nothing of the top 5 so cant comment on those but I do hold darktrace and I believe it will turn around but probably not in the short term

As a poster on the darktrace thread said it is going to take one or more crackerjack trading updates to get confidence back.

It was overhyped previously but I would argue now it is undervalued. But this is just my opinion and not investment advice.

1 Like

They are some big losses! :astonished:

1 Like

I wouldn’t sell Moderna but DYOR.

I think $MRNA will bounce back. Boosters and 4th vaccines are out in most places now.

As for the others ermmm. I don’t know.

As usual, the final investment decision is yours.

I think either way you will be a :roll_of_toilet_paper::palms_up_together: or
blog_bag_holder

Hold firm!

1 Like

That’s only half of them invested nearly 3k and down roughly £1.5k :cry: got caught up in short squeezes :roll_eyes:.

Lucky you haven’t invested in Palantir, Ehang or Lemonade

I am down about £6k on various stocks. Won’t be selling, only wish I had more money to buy.

Unless you’re a day trader, it’s a long game, stocks go up and down. Take a break from looking at it. Unfortunately, due to current climate it won’t change anytime soon.

2 Likes

Also may I suggest a certain percentage of your portfolio be in ETFs. With an ETF the likelihood of high volatility is decreased in comparison with individual stocks.

I find with half of my portfolio being in rock solid ETFs like ÂŁVUSA ÂŁVFEM ÂŁVWRL ÂŁVHYL and ÂŁIWDG to name a few and the other half in individual stocks, there is a fair likelihood I shall be in the green even if some of my individual companies are in the red by some margin.

P.S at the moment my ÂŁRDSA is in the red by 16%

Just food for thought.

Remember all investment decisions are your own.

3 Likes

A real squeeze happens far less frequently than our Reddit & youtube friends would have you believe.

You have to decide if you sold now regardless of the loss are you confident you could. put that capital to work and it outperform the stock you sold?

What you paid for a stock has no bearing on its current value - ignore your loss and instead think - If I had ÂŁ1.5k what is the best place for it? If the answer is anything other than your current portfolio then you have your answer.

12 Likes

OK thanks everyone :ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

Good luck @Wayneo

If you feel you want to it would.be interesting for others going through the same decisions as you to share what course of action you took/take.

I can give you advice. But the truth is you don’t need my advice you need my conviction. Because my conviction will tell me what to do. But by definition you can’t have my conviction. You can only have your own conviction.

I apologise I might sound as though I am not being helpful. But the reality is that I would like you to develop as an investor and become a very good one. So I ask you the same question that @thinking_hydrogen asked you

Be honest with yourself. What made you think you know anything about some of these stocks?

Let me put it this way I personally have a very deep knowledge about a couple of these companies (and deep knowledge of one industry sector) and some of the comments here are based on gossip and mere speculation. Look even if I have an intimate knowledge of one of these companies it doesn’t mean that I know what the stock will do. The stock price will be a function of many factors about the business, the industry and macroeconomic factors. It will also depend on the mechanics of the stock exchange and the index.

I disagree with some of the advice presented here because it has very little to do with fundamentals. But the one piece of advice that I really agree with is @Nielb’s which comes down to how best can you use your money? And I add to that how long are you willing to wait?

Let me give you an example. I read on this forum something like “hang on peeps the revenues are coming in 2023”. My reaction? Do you think that nobody else knows that this companies revenues might be bigger in 2023 than they are today? Do you think that today’s stock price has not factored in those future flows? Why do you think that? It is easy to say “It is cheap”. Well ask yourself what “cheap” means.

Look at this chart. I deliberately chose the stock of a big and well established company.

Mate, take care. Don’t invest in something because you read something somewhere on an Internet forum :wink:. Build a solid picture. Think about views that oppose yours and ask yourself how sensible are they? Many people that comment here have been gambling at “a good time”. Some were lucky. Google some stats on the internet I think that you will find most stock pickers lose money. Some don’t and they think they are geniuses :star_struck: - after all they invested in Tesla.

Hey and don’t listen to me. Listen to yourself.

13 Likes

Your previous investing results have no bearing on future investing returns. I.e. what gains/loses you’ve made to date shouldn’t affect your decision to buy/hold/sell, your investing history has no effect on the market.

You should however reflect to assess on what you can learn from your results. Are there any takeaways that would affect your practice in future?

7 Likes

Fantastic answer @bitflip

3 Likes

This is essentially the way I would look at this too.
My own particular spin on the same theme:
I used to work for a hedge fund a long time ago now and had an inspirational boss. Every position I put on, I had to communicate my rationale for the position, but more important than that, I had to keep a log of that investment rationale with me for the length of time I held the position.
The reason I am saying this is that through time, we will all experience a ‘drift’ in our opinion or our reasons for holding a position. By keeping that original rationale you were at the very least anchored to that opinion. If that rationale no longer holds water, then it is likely time to kill the trade. Your view and rationale might change over time and therefore it may be possible that you keep the position for entirely different reasons, but if you maintain such an exercise you are forced to remain honest with the research and the work that you did throughout the lifecycle of the position.

Daily mark to market is another important thing. Forget about where you bought those stocks, that’s irrelevant, and the reason I latched onto this thread from @NeilB .
With each of those stocks where they are currently, would you own them today at that price? if not, then you kill the position and move on. If you genuinely think that some of these stocks are worth owning, today, at today’s price, then hold. But, revise your rationale for owning
and keep a log of why you now hold it today.

I hope this makes some sense, and @NeilB , given that I jumped on your response, I hope that this tallies with your way of thinking.

7 Likes

Very interesting, this is essentially what Peter Lynch says as well. What is the “story” of why the stock will go up.

Then check and see if the story is still true or if it has been realised. He says that you should be happy if the share price of a company decreases as long as the story is still true because that means you can buy more.

5 Likes