App request: Please remove deposits from graph

I’ve just deposited money into my account, and at the same time one of my stocks has taken a little bit of a slide. I would have loved to see this visualised, but all I’m seeing is a massive spike upwards.

The same when I view the monthly or yearly. It’s lovely to see it always going up, but it’s not exactly representitive of my returns and it paints a very muddling picture (even if I have been fortunate enough to be in the green).

Please could you make this an option via settings to remove the deposits from the profit/loss graph?

The only way this could work is if the cash you put in initially wouldn’t show on the graph and would stay as cash in the account section. But if you were to use the money to buy shares on that day you would still have a spike. You wouldn’t drip feed the cash in to your shares for the sake of how the line looks, well I wouldn’t anyway.

It would be nice to have the option to unitise the portfolio, or at least display it this way. I do it in Excel at the moment but would love it in the app.

I think what it needs is a profit line graph which shows profits and losses over time which is what you mean. Probably be in the premium account next month

8 Likes

But if you were to use the money to buy shares on that day you would still have a spike

Not if the chart represents the actual profit/loss of shares.

You wouldn’t drip feed the cash in to your shares for the sake of how the line looks, well I wouldn’t anyway.

Drip-feeding is moving a fraction of your salary and investing it in your existing portfolio so you can take an average of the share price over a period of time. This doesn’t have anything to do with how the line looks other than it makes the graph very hard to understand due to massive spikes when you deposit.

I put spare amounts of money into freetrade monthly outside of my main investing and saving efforts, so I like to see what I have achieved by combining deposits and gains. And I dont need the definition of drip feeding explained to me.

It should be simple enough to give us some chart config in the settings.

Also find this frustrating if depositing or withdrawing any cash, as it makes it very hard to visualise the movement of my portfolio based on market/trading activity.
I’d like to view the graph of the funds invested outside of cash holdings in isolation.
Would be great if there was a drop down to hide / show cash holdings.

Doesn’t the time weighted return on the insights page basically show you that?

1 Like

Essentially yes, however I find this more useful day to day, and it is limited to a 1 week snapshot so can’t be monitored live as such.

I could well be in the minority here, but I find this visually more telling than seeing dips and spikes as a result of any deposits/withdrawals.

I feel the TWR-R graph is a more accurate visual representation of how my portfolio is moving daily and I’d rather have to trawl through insights to see the impact of cash (up or down) here.

Personally I prefer the graph on the main page to show total value of portfolio. However the option to change it would be good

3 Likes

What about a way to toggle the graph between £ and %. So the current way shows your monetary value, but you could display it with percentage gain and loss. Just like the graph within each individual stock?