Apple - AAPL - Share Chat

I’m really pleased to see Apple doing this. Yes, I suppose it’s a relatively small amount of cash them, but hopefully they can lead the way. I know Cisco donated $50m to help homelessness causes last year, too.

Feels all the more like the right thing to do in light of $AAPL’s strong performance recently.

1 Like

Someone just shared with me they are spending USD 2,500-3,000+ for a one bedroom per month :exploding_head: Sharing an apartment is not uncommon.

Good houses are at least USD 1.5 mln.

GOOG and FB pledged USD 1 billion each before AAPL.

They also keep expanding in the Bay Area - building massive new buildings and hiring :chart_with_upwards_trend:.

The median home price in Santa Clara and San Francisco counties is well over $1 million. And many people don’t live in the cities where they work.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Apple-pledges-2-5-billion-to-help-with-housing-14806471.php

Apple Card, Goldman Sachs and the widespread bias and black box issues

A Wall Street regulator is opening a probe into Goldman Sachs Group Inc.’s credit card practices after a viral tweet from a tech entrepreneur alleged gender discrimination in the new Apple Card’s algorithms when determining credit limits.

It’s not the “algorithm”, it’s the biased data and the inability to interpret how the decisions are made

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-09/viral-tweet-about-apple-card-leads-to-probe-into-goldman-sachs?srnd=premium

1 Like

Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. reported quarterly profit above analysts’ estimates, indicating solid demand for Apple Inc.’s iPhone 11 range.

The assembler of most of the world’s iPhones and iPads posted net income of NT$30.7 billion ($1 billion) for the September quarter, compared with an average estimate of NT$27.7 billion.

Source - Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Macs are a $26B a year business for Apple (source - 10-K).

So, to make the pro laptops cool again since 2015 for developers and designers, they brought back the ESC key.

and replaced the funny keyboard with a “magic” keyboard.

Yes, there is a guide for how to use an ESC button on a Touch Bar:

QZ:

… The updated model includes a return to a widely missed feature: the scissor-switch keyboard. The “V”-shaped butterfly keysseen in the 2015 and newer models were notorious for easily breaking, attracting dirt and debris, and feeling sticky .” The new Magic Keyboard in the 2019 model includes a physical Escape key, positioned just to the left of the Touch Bar…

While the new 16-inch model is obviously bigger than the 15-inch laptop it’s meant to replace, it’s also bulkier. The 16-inch MacBook Pro is about 0.7 mm thicker than the spring 2019 version, and at 4.3 lbs, it’s about a quarter pound heavier. It has an updated cooling system, which will no doubt come in handy. The bare minimum amount of RAM and storage is 16GB of 2666MHz DDR4 RAM and 512GB or 1TB SSD. For about $6,099, you can level up to a 2019 MacBook Pro with 64GB of RAM and 8TB.

The new 16-inch MacBook Pro starts at $2,399, which is the same price as the 15-inch laptop released earlier this year. It is available to pre-order today, and should hit stores in the US by the end of this week.

I own some Hon Hai (Foxconn) up 40% since I purchased :muscle:

1 Like

Perhaps it’s the confirmation bias but I see many people with iPhone Pros - the ones with three cameras. The next quarter earnings results should be full of surprises.

Here’s some more confirmation bias:

Throw back from 2009 - the iPhone Stocks app:

Disclosure: shareholder in AAPL

This looks promising.

The product sold to Apple was made through a process that emits only oxygen and removes carbon dioxide from the usually highly emissions-intensive process of smelting aluminium.

3 Likes

Any idea how they did it?

Crazy stat: The aluminium industry accounts for as much as 1 per cent of global greenhouse gas emissions.

I was amazed at that figure, too.

Especially when you consider that emissions from the aviation industry account for around 2-3%.

1 Like

:x: aluminium planes

Aluminium is massively energy intensive to extract from ore so the CO2 from the smelting will be substantial. IIRC the UKs smelters have mostly closed now - the one on Anglesey shut as the nuclear power plant that supplied its electricity closed without replacement. lynemouth is technically mothballed but I’m not sure how likely it is to reopen - it originally ran from coal but switched to biomass to reduce CO2.

Lynemouth has been running as a biomass plant since 2018 under the CfD scheme.

That is the power station which I mentioned switched to biomass but the smelter is still mothballed

1 Like
1 Like

I didn’t read the whole thing, but wearable glasses seems like a very big challenge. Are people that don’t already wear glasses going to put something on their face, outside work at least. I wouldn’t personally.

The biggest potential area for growth, for smartphones in general, is most likely 5G rollout. A lot of what you can do on a phone is limited by the cost and bandwidth of internet data. The more data that you can send / receive to a phone per second, the more you can do with it. Some examples:

Image Recognition
Image recognition in real time, through the camera. You could point your phone at your surroundings and it could tell you where you are, give you info about the shops you can see, what time they close etc.

Point your camera at something and it can tell you where to buy it e.g. clothing, toys, electronics. This is the type of processing that you can’t do on your phone and needs to be done on a central server.

I’ve spoken with some AI image recognition companies at work and they say that the 5G network providers are looking for big, new applications that can push people onto using the networks.

High Definition Streaming
Watch high def shows while you’re on the bus. Phone screens will probably start getting bigger once streaming is capable of sending information to each of those pixels on the display. Folding phones will be a part of this.

Probably someone else can come up with other examples. 4G allowed apps like Uber and livestreaming on Facebook, so just think of the potential applications with a connection that runs 1 to 2 orders of magnitude faster.

1 Like

Apple delivers again. Though I believe Coronavirus will impact them more than other tech companies given how China is a key market, and where all their manufacturing happens.

2 Likes

Question now is how far can they go! 1.4 trillion (larger than the DAX) clearly in years to come they can 2x etc. I’m no podes soon al and hence I ask. Why would someone invest in them now? For extremely stable growth?

It’s incredible how big their wearables and services divisions are now. They literally dwarf other entire (big) companies on their own.

The uncertainty of the coronavirus is definitely taking its toll on tech companies in general, and it could indeed be that Apple is impacted even more than others.