Apple - AAPL - Share Chat

The Apple Watch outsells Switzerland

I donā€™t really find that surprising, do the Swiss make a lot of watches? I thought more that they are known for expensive watches.

2 Likes

Big numbers on payments here:

• Apple Pay accounts for about 5% of global card transactions
  • Itā€™s on track to increase that to 10% in the next five years
  • Appleā€™s Services division generated $12.7 billion in revenue in the last three months of 2019

On a related note, I havenā€™t tried this yet (I usually cycle to work) but you can now use Apple Pay on the Tube without having to use Face ID.

(and this landing page is :100:)

1 Like

Iā€™d take my Swiss watch over an Apple watch any day! :ok_hand:

1 Like

No comparison, I agree - itā€™s basically a different product.

The convenience of Apple Pay on Watch though, I use it all the time, it really is amazing.

Before that, I had a Pebble.

And before that, I had a white Casio.

So itā€™s been a kind of slow digital evolution :watch:

My oven has a clock on it

4 Likes

Apple warns on a miss due to corona. They are more sensitive to China shocks because itā€™s both a large market for them and their manufacturing base.

2 Likes

massive share buybacks coming up :slight_smile:

Good read on it here.

Meanwhile.

Appleā€™s sales warning rippled across Asian and European markets in the latest sign of the mounting corporate and financial cost of the coronavirus outbreak.

Share buybacks value destructive at this price imo. How much can the company expect to generate its shareholders through dividend saved and lowered share count. I expect not much. That being said what other options does it have for the mountain of cash. Some of its shareholders dont favour dividends as tax inefficient. Even major acquisitions that could open big new markets for the company are difficult due to its size and competition concerns.
There is a book called the outsiders by William thorndike which talks about capital allocation-does a company buy back shares, pay dividend or acquire. Itā€™s a good book. It tries to drill the idea of share buybacks if doing so would generate attractive returns, and the examples of companies in the book typically bought back shares at record low p/e multiples, sometimes taking out debt to do so, leading to massive outperformance in share price comparative to their sector.
Personally I think apple should full tilt invest in innovation and take advantage of the incredible position of having such a large installed base.

The whole stock market is rallying because of share buyback and cheap credit. No growth to back the numbers we seeing

1 Like

Apple has reportedly begun the process of moving at least some of its AirPods, iPad and Apple Watch production from China to Taiwan as the coronavirus continues to limit production.

That would add to the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro assembly work already said to have been moved to Taiwan ā€¦

Strong performance so far today from Apple in the first couple of hours trading.

Iā€™m looking to get in anything under 290ā€¦tried twice this week and rejected both times :smile:

Iā€™m looking to get in just now and hold for the long term. Outwith their growth and the new products in the pipeline for 2022, like smart glasses, maybe even an Apple EV. I can see them becoming a dividend aristocrat also with the amount of free cash flow they generate.

Can yā€™all please please change the % change formula ? :smiley:

Prev close 288.08
Current (screen) 295.84

(295.84/288.08-1)*100 = 2.69%, not 3.11% :frowning:

6 Likes

From the graph the gain is based on $295.84 - $8.92 = $286.92

Bloomberg / CNBC seem to agree a closing price of 288.08 and an opening price of 286.53 so Iā€™m not entirely sure where 286.92 comes from.

New headphones anyone?

1 Like

Ever seen these?

I ordered some on Kickstarter about 5000 years ago. They were finally due to ship this month, but Coronavirusā€¦

Apple bringing out over head ā€œairpodsā€ will be massive.

I know so many folk in my gym that donā€™t like training with AirPods, and prefer to wear typical Beats or JBL headphones.

Iā€™m looking at the post and thinking, when they come out they are 100% on my shopping list :smile: and Iā€™m usually frugal as so that says everything lol