Balance between ETFs and separate shares

Iā€™m thinking that a balanced portfolio with the proportions below feels like a sensible approach, what do you all think?

25% ETFs that pay dividends, Ā£IUKD and Ā£VUKE
25% ETFs that accumulate, Ā£ESG and Ā£VUKG
Putting 2 of each to spread the load a bit.

50% assorted separate company shares with a variety of sectors.

Would you do something different?

2 Likes

I am more like 90% ETFs (reinvesting dividends), 10% fun money picking stocks I like

4 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s an exact mix but Iā€™ve read a number of sources that suggest a basic portfolio of 2 x ETFs plus 3-5 individual stocks gives a reasonable diversified starter mix (choosing individual stocks from different sectors as you mention). Maybe also adding a bond and a commodity for spread. Double up if thatā€™s what feels right for you.

1 Like

There are other factors that you might want to consider. Whether you are going for long term growth or dividends for instance. A younger person has time for growth stocks to develop. An older person may want to move to ETFs paying a regular dividend. Also, element of risk may be something you might want to consider when thinking of percentages invested in each.

1 Like

All good points.

As someone in their early 50s I have around 10 to 15years to retirement so some time to tweak the balance and let it grow. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m looking at a 50/50 split between the dividend ETFs and the reinvesting ones.

I may look at the split between the ETFs and the separate shares.

2 Likes

I am targeting 65% ETF and the rest on individual stocks I like

1 Like

Kinda similar then! As time goes on I may well adjust the ratio depending on how it all goes.
Good luck to us all!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got 5% in individual companies and looking to reduce. Each to their own

1 Like

Not now but soon, if there is a crash or correction you might struggle to recover your funds before retirement.

If this money is extra to your pension then equities arenā€™t likely to be a problem but while theyā€™re the most profit asset class theyā€™re also volatile. Traditional advice would be to explore some safer options like government or corporate bonds - they donā€™t grow as much but donā€™t drop much either.

1 Like

Yep, itā€™s extra. Going to look at what bonds areā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure how you manage your pension but it might be worth speaking to an IFA or your pension provider as you should be looking to derisk your portfolio sooner rather than later for the same reason I mentioned earlier. If the market tanks and youā€™re retirement is fixed you could be left with a much smaller lump sum to live in forever!

Itā€™s a work linked pension so Iā€™ll be letting it do itā€™s own thing. This investing malarkey is separate

1 Like

When I read up on this, I have forgotten where, what stuck with me was ā€œconsider the level or risk you are willing to take on.ā€ ETFs can be a safer bet than independent stocks but then if youā€™re investing in the likes of Apple and Google and such then I guess for now youā€™re safe. I think the balance should mirror your thinking in how much you are prepared to potentially loseā€¦ my tuppence.

In terms of dividend or reinvesting ETFsā€¦ personally I donā€™t take the dividends out,ā€¦ I just hold that and buy moreā€¦ but thatā€™s because I do not need to do anything with this at this time. I prefer it to just stack up, you could argue then that I should not be looking at dividend stocks at allā€¦ But I have them for ā€œreasonsā€ being that I might need that cash and itā€™s there when I need it without compromising my portfolio.

In any case, the question still stands. How should you balance your shares, you should do it based on your current life situation and how much you are willing to gain/lose.

2 Likes

Same - The dividend paying ones are for if I might want to withdraw some cash, or if I choose to reinvest - itā€™s my choice at any given point (assuming some dividends get paid!)
The accumulating ones are to sit and (hopefully) grow.
Iā€™m sticking with domestic UK based ones at the moment and so far looking ok overall, but definitely playing a long game over several years.

1 Like

Community rule 6. Donā€™t promote other businesses, e.g. by posting or promising links or referrals links, their advertisements / engagement baits / marketing material or claims, especially if you are not a genuine forum member (shilling).

3 Likes

Hi iā€™m in my 50ā€™s also, going to go for 40% ETFā€™s, 60% equity split between blue chip compā€™s and some small caps.

2 Likes