Berkshire Hathaway - BRK.B

I saw that, what surprises me is that it is only rising by 1% after the news (Berskhire Class B)

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/715957/000119312520187844/d939155dex991.htm#:~:text=“We%20offer%20an%20industry-leading,generation%20and%20storage%20investment%20programs.

From the Dominion CEO:

“We offer an industry-leading clean-energy profile which includes a comprehensive net zero target by 2050 for both carbon and methane emissions as well as one of the nation’s largest zero-carbon electric generation and storage investment programs. Over the next 15 years we plan to invest up to $55 billion in emissions reduction technologies including zero-carbon generation and energy storage, gas distribution line replacement, and renewable natural gas. In addition, between 2018 and 2025 we expect to retire more than four gigawatts of coal- and oil-fired electric generation.

“This narrowing of focus will also allow us to increase our long-term earnings growth rate guidance by around 30 percent. Our rebased dividend policy better reflects our revised operating and financial strengths, aligns with our best-in-class industry peers and allows us to grow our dividend much more rapidly than before.

“This transaction represents another significant step in our evolution as a company, allowing us to focus even more on fulfilling utility customer needs and positioning us for a bright and increasingly sustainable future.”

Warren Buffett, chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, said: “I admire Tom Farrell for his exceptional leadership across the energy industry as well as within Dominion Energy. We are very proud to be adding such a great portfolio of natural gas assets to our already strong energy business.”

I think you’re spot on! I don’t see how the company can avoid returning capital to shareholders if it cannot find better opportunities to invest in. With a decade of under performance of the S&P500 something has to change.

We’re due to see their latest 13F filing shortly. Always interesting to see where these wise old heads are stacking their chips, with or without their brilliant commentary they give us at the AGMs.

My suspicions are that they will have cut into the cash mountain significantly due to inflation fears and also the toe dip we saw into Barrick Gold last quarter is going to have turned into a full belly flop dive into the miners.

No sources whatsoever, just my guess!

Any other guesses?

1 Like

QUESTION:

How do companies like Berkshire Hathaway purchase shares? Is this done on regular trading platforms?

Tnx

Mostly I think those deals are done through direct person-to-person negotiation between investment managers and major shareholders, but Investopedia has this article on the mechanics of trading large amounts of shares:

1 Like

I’m still hanging in there. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

How do you all feel about the reliance BH has on the sound financial management by Buffett and Munger given their age? 90 & 97 respectively!

This is something I have wondered a lot. Would be good to know as they perform really well. Also, how much actual decision making do they make? Do they have a team of experts who already do a lot? I was assuming it is like some of the huge architect firms named after a single person who can’t possible do the actual donkey work.
Age catches everyone in the end and surely they are well equipped long term.

It must be the case that the donkey work is done for them, but imagine the stock impact when they both retire or worst they suddenly leave this world. I have wanted to buy up some BH.B for some time but this is putting me off and the longer it goes the more put off I am!

1 Like

They’re teenagers.

People like Abel and Jain are amongst the crème de la crème.
I’m not worried

New leadership may or may not be more inclined to invest in disruptive tech stocks in order to put the cash vault at work.

I like the prospects, although uncertain

Not investment advice… yada yada… DYOR

4 Likes
2 Likes

32-bit unsigned integer limit when using 0.0001 as a unit - hitting that limit at some point really should have been anticipated!

1 Like

How come 32-bit is still a thing in 2021?

Yes, one would hope that these kind of limits would be anticipated :rofl:

LOL, I like how my post got merged into the BRK.B share chat thread… But ironically, it’s specifically about BRK.A and because BRK.B has a much lower price, it doesn’t have the problem described in the article! :smiley:

Not that it really matters either way.

2 Likes

Having a cracking day/week/month on this stock :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seems like this 32bit issue has been somehow solved?

Hi,
How can I find out if my recent investment into Berkshire Hathaway ($BRKB) is part of a DRIP scheme? Cannot seem to find this info. I’m based in the UK and purchased them through Freetrade.
Thanks.