[Beta] Penny šŸ’° Feedback & Discussion

Hey guys :v:

Iā€™m the Co-founder of Penny (and fellow Freetrader!): https://www.checkpenny.com/

Penny automatically finds all your pensions from old jobs - takes 60 secs :zap:

In the future, weā€™d love to integrate Freetrade to help their customers find their lost pensions.

Not trying to sell/promote - just wanna hear your feedback/thoughts.

Cheers guys :raised_hands:
Nate

3 Likes

The guys at PensionBeeā€¦ :eyes::eyes::eyes:

3 Likes

Edited my original post

Helloā€¦ Iā€™ve just given it a whirl

Before I even started, 2 of the three pension examples it gave me were pretty much the exact amounts I hold in pensions with previous employers - this was BEFORE it has even asked me my name (I donā€™t have my real name on Facebook, so is this purely a coincidence?)

Itā€™s now asking me for my name, DOB, NI number etcā€¦ Iā€™m not sure how safe it is for me to be telling a random chat bot all that info, so I probably wonā€™t proceed any further without some reassurance.

2 Likes

Hey :+1:
Wow - what an edge case! Yes, as youā€™d suggested - those pensions are shown at the beginning as an example, so that is an absolute and unbelievable coincidence! :astonished::sweat_smile:
Good discovery though! (fake companies!)

2 Likes

That is an outrageous coincidence, as the two values are literally within a couple of hundred pounds of the actual amounts in there :rofl:

So on a serious note, what else is Penny going to need after my NI Number?

1 Like

Nothing else. Pension scheme providers require name, dob, and NI to locate your pension :white_check_mark:. The employer name(s) allows the bot to identify the schemes it should reach out to.

2 Likes

Ok, will give it a go and provide some more feedback :+1:t2:

Iā€™ve just quickly browsed the site and Iā€™ve got feedback Iā€™d like to share with you.

1. First thing that came to my mind when using this product is, who is this product for? If youā€™re searching for your pensions then itā€™s likely youā€™re a baby boomer or Generation-X demographic. Whereas, in contrast with your brand, website and tone of voice used, it feels like youā€™re going for a younger target audience, like the millennial and Generation-Z demographic. Thereā€™s an abundance of emojis, cheeky banter, which I love by the way, but I feel like none of those would appeal to the type of people that would use this product.

2. In addition, trust is a big one with an application like this. How will people know to trust your product? I was very hesitant to enter my personal information because I just didnā€™t feel like I could trust the product. However, I easily entered my personal information with Freetrade without thinking twice about it. So, trust, and how do you go about establishing it and making your product/company seem trustworthy?

3. Another minor thing that caught my eye is that in the chat bot it said ā€œYour data is 256-encrypted and secureā€. Well in the tech world, you wouldnā€™t say ā€œ256-encryptedā€ because it isnā€™t proper technical terminology. The correct terminology is ā€œ256-bitā€, so the chat message should of said
    ā€œYour data is kept secure using 256-bit encryptionā€.
    Also, another question is, what exactly are you securing? Whatā€™s the need for the 256-bit encryption? How is my data kept safe exactly? Making a section on security on your website would be good.

4. I actually liked the idea of the app being a chatbot, I think using a chatbot makes it feel like an instant ā€œappā€. However, I feel like in the future it might also be nice to add an interactive form on your website where people can find the information. One thing I noticed from a UX perspective on the chatbot was that I just wanted to quickly find my pensions, so I would of preferred to quickly fill out a form and find out the information, rather than converse with a chatbot.

I feel like the language doesnā€™t suit your product, maybe just keep it as ā€œHow does it work?ā€

1. When I saw this product the first thing that came to my mind was ā€œHow do they make money?ā€.
    Well, I wanted to make a suggestion that you can perhaps in the future make partnerships with investment platforms and other fintechs. For example, with for other Fintechā€™s with SIPP, they could all implement a feature that allows their users to find out how much they have in their pensions, and they could use your productā€™s API to retrieve that information and you charge them for it. So, your CheckPenny is also a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) product that is B2B.

Overall I really like the app, the concept and how easily accessible it it. I tried to use a similar product but I couldnā€™t be bothered to sign up just to find my missing pensions, so I like how you donā€™t have to do that with yours. In my opinion I think this is an amazing product that Iā€™m sure many would find useful.

10 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @SecureHttp :pray::pray:

1. Yep, weā€™re targeting the 25-40yo demographic. We think that auto-enrolment has created a generation of young pension savers, so there is a new market of ā€œinterested in pensionsā€ customers that is currently being overlooked.

2. Trust is important - weā€™re looking to be FCA-regā€™d soon.

3. Got it!

4. We were basically inspired by Cleo/Plum. In their early days they were chatbots, and grew super fast. People in general donā€™t care about pensions, so we need onboatding to be suuuper smooth. An app is probably too much to ask, even though it feels safer, so weā€™ve done a chatbot.

5. Yep, we could tone that down.

6. Thanks for suggesting b2b. As a lot of fintechs (FT included) are launching SIPPs, there is defo an opportunity to be integrate with them.

2 Likes

Finally just had a proper look. Agree with above comments. See value in the simplicity and speed, however.
Keen to see results :sunglasses:

Thanks Jay :pray:

Thereā€™s Ā£20bn in lost pensions (Ā£700 per UK adult :scream:)

We want to find that money and give it back to the rightful owners.

:rofl: Who are all these millennials with MULTIPLE pension pots!?

To be fair, this seems like a good product and I donā€™t doubt your numbers but to me, in my circumstances with my social circle, the whole idea of having even a single private pension (especially anything substantial beyond the ā€˜recentlyā€™ introduced workplace pensions) is mind blowing.

Again, I donā€™t doubt your numbers and thereā€™s clearly a market out there for the service but it does make me thing that either Iā€™m mixing in the wrong circles or I (in my mid 30s) have just been doing capitalism wrong! Good on them though and good on Penny for creating this product :slight_smile:

1 Like

@CashCow Yep, v few millennials have private pensions.

But to clarify, Penny is designed for finding workplace pensions

Since auto-enrolment, workplace pensions are now v common.

And when you leave a job, you might forget all about your pension :scream:

Cheers for the feedback :pray::pray:

4 Likes

Ah! Sorry, that was lost on me from the wording of your original post. In my defence Iā€™ve been self employed since the year that the workplace pension legislation came in so Iā€™ve never benefitted from them.

I still think this is a good product and it doesnā€™t even seem exploitative like that ā€œloans for rental depositsā€ company that self posted on here a while ago!

2 Likes

This is dope :clap:

1 Like

No problem, good luck with CheckPenny :raised_hands:t5:

Like the concept.

I found three negatives personally:

Needs facebook messenger to work. I donā€™t want to use FBM on my personal device.

There is no detail on whats in it for you, which is concerning - there must be something, to make it worthwhile?

Automatically gathering found pensions into a pension pot I havent chosen, managed by HSBC, with unknown costs?

Otherwise, it looks snappy, good concept, but I wouldnā€™t progress with it as it stands.

1 Like

I like you. I wonā€™t let the Facebook app near any of my devices. For work I have to use Facebook so I use Firefox as my browser because it automatically quarantines any FB tabs you have open.

If youā€™re on Android then Friendly is a good non-official FB app that has messenger functionality. That said, whilst Iā€™m also against FB and all its products, I can understand why the developers of this service have chosen to use it.

7 Likes

Which database do you plug into? The official pension tracing service doesnā€™t ask any of the details you do and you can only start a search for an old pension pot using the name of the employer or the pension scheme. You cannot even start a search if you donā€™t have those details.

1 Like