Crowdfunding Wishlist

Hi everyone :wave:

Iā€™m new to the community and actually only stumbled on it through following @Freetrade_Team1 on Twitter and the Monzo community over timeā€¦ so youā€™re already growing the Freetrade community Alex!

I really enjoy tracking early-stage start-ups, hoping that one day they will do a crowdfunding round! So I thought Iā€™d ask what start-ups (Fintech or otherwise) would be on everyoneā€™s crowdfunding wish-list?

One I was really hoping recently would include an element of crowdfunding in their seed round was Emma, but unfortunately not!

(Announcing Emma funding round - Emma)

Whatā€™s on yours?

6 Likes

Pensionbee for me

5 Likes

Pensionbee would be great! They look like they are doing well with user growth but only raised in December last year

State Street takes stake in PensionBee

2 Likes

Absolutely. Itā€™s says they had 8000 active customers in that article and recently they surpassed 100,000 9 months later.

1 Like

Hi Lee :wave: :grin:

Habito would be my pick :house_with_garden:

Iā€™ve not used their service yet but I really like their ethical approach to providing their service, plus the fact that according to their research (alongside the University of Manchester), 55% of people were overpaying on their mortgage, by an average of Ā£294 per month which seems like a big opportunity to me! Iā€™d recommend listening to this Rebank podcast interview with their CEO, if youā€™re interested in hearing more about them.

5 Likes

Farewill.

A huge market opportunity when only 3% of people have an up to date Will simply because itā€™s too expensive & complicated.

An amazing podcast about them disrupting Death: BBC Radio 4 - Breakfast with the Disruptors, Series 1, Death

Shameless affiliate link to get us both rewards: Online Will Writing Service | Legal Will In 15 Minutes

4 Likes

I really like the look of Pensionbee. I wish there was a platform that simply consolidated the pensions data so you could see them all in one app without having to combine them.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Pension dashboard

Habito just announced theyā€™ll be getting into insurance https://twitter.com/habito/status/1036565627652251648

4 Likes

Thanks, I hadnā€™t heard of Farewill before. Looks very disruptive. Difficult to find much information though on customer/user numbers to see how successful they have been.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s pretty tricky, hereā€™s what I managed to come up with:

• When they raised their seed round in November 2016, they had 2,500 users
  • At the start of April this year, they had raised Ā£35m in charitable pledges
  • At the start of July, they said that theyā€™d got to over Ā£50m raised
  • And this story from June, claims that theyā€™re the biggest provider of wills (without quoting any user numbers)

so it sounds like theyā€™re growing quite quickly to me..

3 Likes

Finimize may be a good one if they do decide to crowdfund. I think I remember them saying it was an option but Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™m not the biggest fan of their app.

One thing iā€™m quite passionate about is tech development in Africa. Paystack is a really cool fintech Iā€™ve been following. They recently completed Series A funding with Stripe and Visa so would be great to see how that goes. If there was a crowdfunding round I would definitely invest. Paystack, with ambitions to become the Stripe of Africa, raises $8M from Visa, Tencentā€¦ and Stripe itself ā€“ TechCrunch

2 Likes

Yeah Finimize would be interesting. My theory is that theyā€™ve launched the app in order to create a more flexible channel for them to use to offer services which they can make money from. But I donā€™t like chatbot interfaces in general & Iā€™m struggling with theirs so far. They have a great brand though & I really like the way the content is written so Iā€™m curious to see what they do next. Side note - I didnā€™t realise that Passion Capital have invested in them already.

Iā€™m really excited about Paystack too, although I only heard about them when they raised that new round. They must be doing something right if theyā€™re only processing Ā£20m of payments each month & theyā€™ve attracted Stripeā€™s (one of my favourite tech companies) attention! They may not be the first to do this but I love the idea of enabling users to make payments online from mobile money services like M-Pesa. I expect thatā€™s a great user experience if youā€™ve never been able to do that before.

Pensionbee just followed Seedrsā€¦ thatā€™s what I call a good omen :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

I liked the idea and look of PensionBee, would consider investing in it. I didnā€™t like that it only had a few managed funds (or rather: let me choose the Vanguard funds I want) and its fees. I think this means that what I actually want is some kind of pensionā€¦ ā€œdashboardā€ :slight_smile: Or the Freetrade sipp.

2 Likes

Farewill:

Anyway, hard to tell. So I asked the Farewill people but they havenā€™t replied yet.

1 Like

Here it is :smile:

Introduce yourself šŸ‘‹

Iā€™m actually surprised that Finimize hasnā€™t considered the crowdfunding route yet as I feel a community of investors would be really beneficial given their proposition and brand etc. Also with Passion Capital on board they could attest how positive a community has been for Monzo.

2 Likes

On That Ass

Oh my goodness, just got an email 4 years later asking if i want to pre register for crowdfunding in Farewilll along with their million other customers.

I would be sooo excited 4 years ago, but in 2022 i am so disillusioned with crowdfunding (the fees, the lies, and the slow or no exits) and whatever the valuation is i think id feel robbed of 4 or 5 years of gains.

Will be having a very close look at the pitch and valuation before deciding whether to pass it up.

2 Likes