Beyond Meat (BYND) 🥬 🥩 - Share Chat

Ohhh, now I get it. Sorry, slow-burner sometimes with obvious things :stuck_out_tongue:

Back to topic: It seems that there is quite a bit of opportunity in this one now though, with the transition slowly taking firm hold in everyday life and having a real alternative available in most shops and restaurants, this seems like a keeper for the next two or three decades and with the current “discount”. Any opinions? :innocent:

2 Likes

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/05/13/2033074/0/en/Forum-Merger-II-Corporation-Announces-Signed-Letter-of-Intent.html

Possible competitor to beyond meat listing in the near future through the FMCI ticker. This is a SPAC-special purpose acquisition company so right now the ticker is just a company that is holding cash in “trust”, but they have signed a letter of intent and the description suggests it could be something quite exciting.

Other notable recent SPAC’s are Virgin Galactic which came from Chamath Palihappitiya’s SPAC, Draft Kings which until a few weeks ago was the Diamond Eagle Acquisition Corporation, and VectoIQ which will likely convert to Nikola motors soon.

If the merger is effected with a company like Impossible Foods or even Just Egg I would expect a similar run and performance, though it may take a few months and i consider it unlikely to be Impossible Foods.

Oh deer…

I’ve not eaten meat for over 10 years… but I’ve also not eaten a Beyond Burgers because they’re so damn expensive! Also I’ve never seen them for sale in restaurants (when restaurants were a thing).

I still think this company will do well despite this fall - well it should do given all the positive and gushing reviews its products seem to get.

2 Likes

Trust me you don’t want to eat them they taste terrible, like a Tesco value burger. I’m not so convinced by this plant based meat, such a waste of energy making fake meat. Saying that I think all these plant based meat companies will do well.

Have to disagree with both points here. Literally had a Beyond Burger last night and could not distinguish between a real burger. Now this is of course subjective and I am not a burger connoisseur but for me there is no difference so why shouldn’t I go for the meat free version. In terms of ‘waste of energy’ vs beef:
“Beyond Burger generated 90 percent less greenhouse gas emissions, required 46 percent less energy and had far less impact on water and land use than the beef burger.”
So there is a real impact here - if ‘fake’ meat tastes the same as real meat, fake meat is much better for the environment.

6 Likes

Their product is overpriced, £5 for 4 Burgers in a Tesco Metro whilst every other Brand was £2.50 or lower. Never tasted but from what i’ve read they are not actually that healthy. They announce they have partnerships with food outlets when in reality their product is just being trialled for a short period, which i find a bit dodgy.

Thats because they dont have distribution here. One they do the price will come down

2 Likes

Agreed that they are currently overpriced, however I think this will come down (I mean it has to for them to stay competitive).
In terms of health: “ When it comes to choosing between a Beyond Burger and a real meat patty, the nutritionists agreed that the veggie burger was the healthier choice. ”
Note that this does not mean they are healthy as you pointed out but again vs. actual Beef they have the upper hand (I think this is important as it’s a like for like comparison not an absolute one).

2 Likes

I’m not sure they will get loads cheaper in the short term, they were similar prices in Cali a couple of years ago. Obviously our food is very cheap in the UK so they seem more expensive here in comparison, for a US market the prices are more reasonable.

Ignore people saying they don’t taste good, they are pretty good. I know a lot of people prefer Impossible but they are both v good.

Regarding health there has been an incredible amount spent on smear articles trying to create a perception that they are somehow less healthy than meat because of ‘chemicals’ (guess the origin of this funding).

All that said, Beyond Meat as a company is still expensive

2 Likes

“Literally had a Beyond Burger last night and could not distinguish between a real burger” you must be used to eating cheap burgers!

They will improve for sure and worth trying. Planted, https://shop.planted.ch, does some interesting chicken.

But my earlier point about energy, is why get beans, peas and everything else and process them, just eat them as they are with some herbs and spices.

As to health, they are supposed to be healthier than meat but less healthy than just eating the peas and beans as they were. Well that’s what I read, I’m not a nutritionist.

But beans don’t taste like meat. Meat tastes much better, but I don’t want to eat animals. What’s the solution? Exactly. Your argument is not working here. I, personally, like it very much and haven’t had a meat burger since they launched.

4 Likes

More like I don’t eat enough burgers to be able to distinguish between one I’ve eaten today vs one I ate a month ago.

I hear your point eating the vegetables as they are instead of processing them into something else and I do agree with it. However I think the ‘fake’ meat industry is coming at it from a point where they are saying to the consumer look you don’t need to change your habits but you can ‘make the world a better place’ (that’s marketing not me saying that of course😅).
It’s basically the same as saying have an electric car instead of an internal combustion engine when the best alternative in reality is to walk if you get me?

5 Likes

I’ve tried pretty much every meat-free burger readily available in the UK and the Beyond burger was the most expensive and tasted worse than almost all the others. Just as one example Co-op’s GRO burgers are £1 each and were better, so I don’t really see how they can compete. There is essentially no moat around this market regardless of what their PR machine says (actually its worse than that because you already have “all natural” brands like Meatless that can sell over the more processed ones). What might become more differentiated products are the high end heme-based patties like Impossible’s and lab-grown meat

2 Likes

I’m afraid I couldn’t disagree more @dk1 . I believe we can’t judge it only by our taste, cause in this case, I’ve also tried almost all plant-based burguer available in the UK market and Beyond Burguer is by far the best among them all for me. So for me it justifies paying more for what I believe is the best product in the category.

5 Likes

Any clever people know why BYND is rallying?

Wall Street bets seem to be pumping it thinking they can produce a short squeeze.

The McPlant has a Beyond Meat Patty. Feels like an exciting deal with Beyond and a long awaited plant based burger option. BBC News - McDonald’s plant burger launch late to vegan party

4 Likes

Holly shoot dose any one know what is happening with beyond meat plz?

They said Q4 will be worse than expected.

1 Like