British ISA

Chancellor just announced a new £5,000 a year British ISA.

What do you think? Good idea or hopeless? :smile:

2 Likes

I think I will stick to the US market. :+1:

15 Likes

Without sharing details about your personal finances…

After maxing out your regular ISA and then if you had the money would you invest in the £5,000 a year British ISA?

I can’t reach the £20k/year limit at the moment, so it’s useless to me. I own both UK and worldwide stocks.
I don’t understand how this British ISA can work. Can we buy ETFs under it?! What are the details. I was expecting a simpler ISA system, which is not what is happening.

9 Likes

If UK investment trusts are in scope then happy days

3 Likes

Useless to me as i never max the 20k deposit anyway. Probably useful to some rich people though :hugs:

9 Likes

It depends on what it looks like. If anything listed in London goes, I imagine most will end up going to the FTSE 100 and internationally-focused investment trusts. Can’t imagine a few billion of those flows doing anything to help smaller UK company investment.

2 Likes

If I was in a position to add to the extra £5000 in an ISA I can’t say there is anything I would want to invest in.

I currently see the UK market as stagnant and there needs to be REAL reform with it that can’t be plastered over with a “British ISA” or any other incentive the UK government has tried over the last 20 odd years.

6 Likes

The real question is… When can we see the new ISA on Freetrade?

7 Likes

I guess it would benefit FTSE 100/250 stocks the most. IIRC AIM shares are not subject to capital gains so not much point in capping out on them with an ISA.

2 Likes

Looks like I am in the minority here but it seems like a good idea. Offers additional incentives to invest in the UK economy which is always a good thing.

11 Likes

I see that point of view but with with generous ISA allowances, currently standing at £20k a year and very generous Pension reliefs.

Who is the target audience for this?

2 Likes

Investors always chase returns, and returns always come from good profitable businesses. This doesn’t change anything.

5.107 UK ISA – The government will create an additional Individual Savings Account (ISA) with a £5,000 allowance. This would be in addition to the £20,000 that can be subscribed into an ISA. The government will consult on the details.

from Spring Budget 2024 - GOV.UK

So it’s an additional 5k allowance for UK only stock? I’d stick in L&G with the 8% dividend.

8 Likes

Yes, that’s the plan

2 Likes

We could have sent ARM to the moon if they had listed in the UK… bet they’re regretting that

(sarcasm :joy:)

2 Likes

The target audience is clearly for those who love UK companies. The Lgen, Rio Tinto, Bats, fanboys that can earn a little bit extra in dividends in dinosaur companies.

1 Like

Can they afford it in addition to the £20k regular ISA and their Pension contributions?

Not everyone is a pauper.

1 Like