Use it or lose it!

If you haven’t already reached your yearly ISA allowance what are you thinking of investing in? I have some shares in weatherspoons and thinking of adding more. Use your allowance people.

I’m waiting. Will rather loose the rest of this year’s allowance. Waiting for the markets to crash
:blush:

1 Like

LOL. I wish. I’d have to give up food, drink and using electricity.

9 Likes

Haven’t opened an ISA just yet as I’m still within my dividend and capital gains tax free allowance.

Is it only worth opening an ISA once you have to pay tax? Otherwise it doesn’t seem feasible or capital efficient to open one, or are there other benefits I am overlooking?

Also taking the monthly fee into account for Freetrade, doesn’t quite seem worth it just yet!

1 Like

You could open one and keep cash in it. No obligations to buy stocks straight away.

5 Likes

I’m unsure what you mean about the second paragraph about feasibility and capital efficiency

If you already do self-assessment, even if you are below CGT and dividend limits, you still have to declare any gains. I find having the ISA convenient since you can just ignore the details and not worry about having to track everything.

14 Likes

This is partially misleading. Outside an ISA you are required to report gains only if you exceed the CGT allowance or if you fill in a SA and your total proceeds exceeds four times the annual CGT allowance.

3 Likes

Mea culpa, although strengthening my point that if it’s inside an ISA you just don’t need to think about it.

2 Likes

My dividend is more than the fee. So, for peace of mind. I’ve been moving everything to an ISA as then i dont need to think about it.

1 Like

Doubt, i’ll manage to fill mine this year. Gave it a good go though.

Waiting to put the next 20k in :facepunch:

3 Likes

Need to transfer my SAYE Breedon shares from their holding account with YBS. Won’t have time to move them before deadline, especially if my recent pension transfer to my SIPP was anything to go by…

Here’s a scenario; I’m wondering if it’s allowed in ISA rules.

1. Put £10k into a cash ISA
  2. Put £10k into a stocks and shares ISA
    (Different providers).
    Is it then possible to withdraw the £10k cash and put it into the stocks and shares ISA?
    Or vice versa?
    (This would be all in the same tax year).

Thanks in advance

You can transfer from one to the other, not a problem.

However, if you withdraw that deposited amount from one ISA, you wouldn’t then be able to disposit another £10,000 into the other one as you’ve already used that £10,000.

1 Like

Thanks Jimmy.

That’s what I try to do: add £20k in early April
Then I can forget about it until next year!

1 Like