BTC ETFs

Apologies if posted elsewhere but couldn’t see them mentioned.
Are these going to be added, trading starts today (11/01/24) I believe

iShares/BlackRock - $IBIT
Grayscale - $GBTC
Fidelity - $FBTC
VanEck - $HODL
Wisdomtree - $BTCW
Bitwise - $BITB
Invesco Galaxy - $BTCO
Valkyrie - $BRRR
Ark 21Shares $ARKB
Hashdex $DEFI
Franklin $EZBC

This is highly unlikely, I’m afraid.

Firstly, US-listed ETFs cannot be sold in the UK due to EU rules around disclosure. This may be repealed eventually but it’ll take years to happen.

And secondly, ths FCA has taken a hardline on Bitcoin ETFs. UK investors cannot even buy the few European-listed bitcoin ETFs, for example.

3 Likes

ok ty :smiley:

still have the stupid EU rules governing us , be it cypto or ETFs … they still treating us like children

2 Likes

Can’t believe we are still so backward in this country. Other than holding $MSTR I can’t see a way of getting exposure to BTC price in a UK ISA and enjoying the tax free returns. May as well just buy more BTC and pay the capital gains tax.

3 Likes

Hello all, and happy new year!

Bitcoin ETFs concern me due to potential risks such as hacking, loss, or theft. If bitcoins are compromised, would investment management companies like iShares be liable for losses? If so, it could jeopardize the entire business. I must admit, I’m not entirely sure how they operate. Do they track assets without holding them, or do they actually hold the bitcoins?

Thankfully Bitcoin is perfect for avoiding paternalistic, backwards regulations. All you need is a computer and an internet connection to hold it.

As for holding in tax advantaged accounts, the best proxies available here are the exchanges and miners COIN, RIOT, MARA, CLSK etc. which are all on Freetrade.

Why would anybody buy Bitcoin in January 2024 when the trades already over, the speculation buy was back in the summer 2023 roughly 6 months before the known decision on an etf. The trade was the highly likely speculation of an etf coupled with the ‘2024 halving’.

The traders will now exit their trades into the peaks until being 100% uninvested… whilst the herd fomo buy into it.

This was all pretty much known back in summer. Markets tend to move 6 months before the thing.

If you buy in to a peak in a non asset now - you wanna hope gen z do not get smarter by 2028 because when this falls, it may never ever go back.

You can actually hear the financial advisors to the middle classes right now saying ‘1 or 2 percent is an okay amount to speculate on’… goodlord. Yeh dude you’re like 6 months late.

1 Like

Please show me your big investment from Summer 23 with bitcoin trading under 25K?

I don’t buy it. But if you were a Bitcoin speculator why would you not buy when it’s low the summer before the halving and the etf?

I know the trade was there but I don’t touch anything along those lines because it’s valueless to me. I don’t even know what it is.

You don’t need to worry. The ETF companies need to hold actual Bitcoin to back their ETF. If they get hacked it’s their problem. The Bitcoin ETF is by far the safest way to invest in Bitcoin.

Watch the Bitcoin chart over the next 12 months and then come back to us.

3 Likes

If Bitcoin is ‘going to be the future’ then our US Total Stock Market Fund’s will capture the breakthrough growth in new technology over the coming decades…

All you’ll see this year is a peak then a slow but sure decline until people get bored of losing money for no return - Bitcoin will retreat to ~£10k - the middle class will feel a bit foolish for even putting 1% in having been fleeced by the hawk traders out there and the hope will be back on 2027/28 for the ‘Bitcoin to $100k articles’.

In the meantime gold & gold mining will continue to rise over the coming years.

There’s no wall of money waiting on the side to go into Bitcoin. If there were you would have seen intense buying back in summer 2023.

(I do hope you all make money though).

1 Like

$4.6 billion worth of Bitcoin ETF shares were traded yesterday afternoon. This seems like a strong figure for the beginning of this journey, and with the Bitcoin halving so close, I believe that this trend is likely to become even stronger in the coming days or weeks.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/spot-bitcoin-etfs-start-trading-big-boost-crypto-industry-2024-01-11/

2 Likes

Respectfully, you are very wrong.
By the very mathematical nature of Bitcoin, its value can only go up over time. Every 4 years you see a huge spike during the Bitcoin halving process. The next halving is in April this year. From that date you will see huge gains over a period of 12-18 months before the asset settles down to a higher high than the previous downtrend.
You have to take into account the adoption rate, Metcalfe’s Law, the finite amount and absolute scarcity of Bitcoins coupled with the fact that it has no central control.
The value of 1 BTC will exceed $100k this year guaranteed. Some experts believe $500k is possible although I can’t see that personally. Bitcoin will NEVER be $10k again, EVER. The lowest it could go is probably around $30k.
Please remember this conversation, you will regret not buying in when Bitcoin was only $46k per coin.

4 Likes

Rgols shared link shows that you probably shouldn’t take such strong opinions on something you ‘dont even know what is’.

1 Like

I don’t believe it’s use case has been proven for anything yet. So it ‘itself’ doesn’t know what it is.

The trades already happened, ~160% profit from swing trading #COIN is about the maximum the traders have made. That’s a decade and a half of profit in 2 months compared to an S&P 500 tracker - so the trades been wildly successful for all who entered and got out. Hence why #COIN has now fallen off a cliff.

The smart money is already looking 6 months out for the next movement in all asset markets. Likely something to do with placing the trades on a flat market.

Anybody buying into Bitcoin for a short to medium gain now is 6 months late.

1 Like

:joy: well. How to loose money fast

In the world of bitcoin 6% is not a massive move tbh.

2 Likes