Buying at different prices

Hey guys, just a quick question.
Im a new here so please excuse the simple question.

Say i buy into a stock at Ā£1 amd then after it gets to Ā£2 i decide to buy more.
Im finding it difficult to put into words what i meanā€¦

Say the stock price was Ā£1 per share so i buy ten shares, then it raises to 2Ā£ amd i decide to buy another ten shares, there are multiple stocks in the ā€œwalletā€ but some were bought at a cheaper price etc.
How does that work out ?
I dont even know if im making sense lol its late.
Please be kind.
I may be able to re phrase this better but i wanted to ask anyway.

Morning @HushBasset

Your example it would look something like this

Ā£1 x 10 = Ā£1 average price

So the stock doubles and you buy more.

Ā£2 x 10 = Ā£1.50 new average price.

Your % will go from +100% to %50.

3 Likes

Just as a follow up that nobody asked for about your average when selling. Shares use FIFO (first in first out) so if you sell the in the order you brought them, Ā£1 shares first.

The stock doesnā€™t move for a bit so you decide to sell 5 shares. These 5 are for the initial Ā£1 purchase but you sell them for Ā£2 which is a Ā£5 profit lovely!

Youā€™re +- % goes from

Pre sale (20 shares) 50% profit
Post sale (15 shares) 75% profit

2 Likes

Thank you for that. I didnā€™t realise thatā€™s how it workedšŸ˜

1 Like

So does that mean that its best to not buy more stocks above the price that you first bought in at?
Sorry if im sounding like a complete Noob, but im still learning.

For some reason i thought that the app would remember each buy and then apply the earned money by the amount it went up from each seperate buy in.
Now i know a bit more about percentages etc ill hopefully be able to work it out myself (although i wont hold my breath) :wink:
Thanks again for the help :slight_smile:

If you look it will tell you the average share price of your purchases. Try to buy around or below that price if possible. If you want to compare the lowest price you paid per share, you can see on the individual buy order.

Really, whether you buy more or not should depend on whether you think itā€™s still a good investment, regardless of whether itā€™s higher or lower than it was before. I sometime add more at a higher price than my last investment because a stock is in an uptrend and is still a good investment.

Conversely a stock might be falling due to some kind of bad news and might be a worse investment, despite being ā€œcheaperā€

4 Likes

Got some of those toošŸ˜‚

2 Likes

You often see people on forums like this saying things like ā€œI hope it drops more so I can buy moreā€ or similar when they are in a losing position. Thatā€™s illogical. I want everything Iā€™ve bought going up!

3 Likes

I want the price per share of Apple, Google, Tesla, Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, Unilever, J&J and some others to drop 60% tomorrow so I can buy some of it at bargain prices

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair enough if you donā€™t already own some. Iā€™m talking about people who want shares they already own to go down so they can buy more. That doesnā€™t make sense

I think it does make sense and if you read Peter Lynch he will say things like ā€œinvestors should be happy when a stock they believe in drops in share price because then they can buy moreā€ as long as the story of why itā€™s an investment stays the same.

I.e. the fundamentals have not changed, but the share price has dropped.

1 Like

Guess I need to qualify that a bit, if the whole market has dropped it can be a great time to buy quality companies. Late Spring last year was a good example of a good buying opportunity. However I didnā€™t want that crash to happen, I was thousands of pounds in the red at the bottom.

What Iā€™m really talking about are the threads where people are piling more and more cash into a falling penny stock, then trying to rationalise the loss by telling themselves and everyone else that they want it to carry on dropping so they can buy more. That is a great way to increase your risk and exposure to a bad investment. Many of these stocks will either keep on dropping an not recover for years, go bankrupt, or be forced to issue more shares to raise cash and dilute everyone into oblivion.

There is an opportunity cost to this. While you are trying to catch a falling knife and waiting for it to go back up a bit so you can at least break even you could be diversifying to increase your chances of picking a winner, or just buying successful profitable companies.

I have become a much more successful investor since I dropped the ā€œBuy the dipā€ ā€œDouble Downā€ mentality towards losing positions

2 Likes

Or the crowd, identified but their collective and distinctive delusional call ā€œ itā€™s fine, itā€™s a long term hold for meā€

1 Like

See the Sirius Metals thread for a great example. I did buy a small postion in that which turned out to be a loser, but I didnā€™t double down.

We even have some ā€œyou donā€™t lose until you sellā€ posts in thereā€¦

I did :smile:. As long as you donā€™t need the money in the near future you want the share prices to stay as low as possible until you cash out so you can buy more.

The share price has little effect on the company fundamentals, I wouldnā€™t buy a company purely on share price movements. It doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s the whole market or the individual company that has dropped in value, for long term investing I would still value a company individually on itā€™s merits.

Hi guys Iā€™m another newbie on here Iā€™ve bought some share from tesla if it goes up or the other one I bought goes up I canā€™t remember the name of company now lol wherr Iā€™m getting tired excuse me but if it goes up can I withdraw cash anytime

What?

1 Like

Not quite anytime since you would need to sell the shares first, which can only be done during the relevant market opening hours. Once sold, you will then need to wait for the trade to settle which would take two(?) days. After that, you can withdraw which you would need to allow a few working days to show in your account.

1 Like

You might want to do some research before commuting any serious money to this investing lark, itā€™s a easy way to loose a fortune otherwise.

Yes out can sell your shares at any time, the trade takes 2 days to ā€˜clearā€™ and once this has happened you can withdraw the money. It takes 3-5 business days for withdrawal.

1 Like