Have I understood pound cost averaging?

Hi guys, I’d like to check my understanding of pound cost averaging as a small fry in this big new world of investing.

Onto my example to see if I have understood the theory. I’m only able to pay in £100 a month and I have 10 different company shares I want to buy into, so every month I buy £10 worth of each share.

My question is how to do this if one of the shares goes up the following month (month two) and I can’t afford it with my £10. Do I keep that £10 in my account as cash and wait to see if I can then afford it in month 3 when I have £20 which I can apportion to this share? Is that correctly applying this principle of pound cost averaging?

Thank you everyone!

4 Likes

That’s exactly how you’d have to do it if you always place that 10 x £10 restriction on yourself. Another way of doing it would to be distribute the £100 over selected shares in your portfolio, depending on all the information you have. Price, news, results etc. But say you always could afford the £10 to each share option you would buy if it went down or up, that’s plain averaging.

2 Likes

Thank you

You could also look at funds that hold the shares you are interested in and buy a £100 slice of the fund each month.

Apologies if you’ve already researched the next bit - Index funds e.g. a fund that replicates something like the S&P500 or the FTSE100 also automatically rebalance over time to remove the worst performing shares and replace them.

3 Likes

Hey Sleepy, thank you for the reply. I have so far only really invested in FTSE 100 and the S & P 500 through iShares but now think maybe I should have gone through Vanguard after doing some more reading :upside_down_face:. It’s a good learning curve :joy:

Also if one of your shares rises to more than the £10 you could put the money into one of your underperforming shares that month. I assume that you believe equally in all 10 companies.

2 Likes